Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

mgn wrote: »
    How was he an embarrassment,

Raving about agitating slurry in 2027 with batteries. Take off your blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

That's not an article discussing the climate bill, nowhere in that article does it state anywhere what exactly is involved in the bill and how it will affect Irish people such as hundreds of briquette factory workers.
    It just ridiculing rural tds for 'heckling' the government, which is exactly what the likes of Alliance 90/the greens would rather the newspapers talk about, rather than the importation of German peat briquettes.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I have central heating, but I have to use timber, coal and oil to fuel it.

But thanks to the Green Party muppets it keeps getting more expensive.

Believe me, I am no supporter of the Greens, but... how do you square your desire to burn fossil fuels, cheaply, with the fact of climate change being caused by burning fossil fuels? A that a failure to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere and a three- or even two-degrees rise in average global temperature means we're all ****ed in the next couple of decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

buried wrote: »
    That's not an article discussing the climate bill, nowhere in that article does it state anywhere what exactly is involved in the bill and how it will affect Irish people such as hundreds of briquette factory workers.
    It just ridiculing rural tds for 'heckling' the government, which is exactly what the likes of Alliance 90/the greens would rather the newspapers talk about, rather than the importation of German peat briquettes.

That is the Healy Rae's fault though right? Their 'shtunts' and general bolloxology make it easy for the media to caricature their position. It plays well for a certain type of voter, but that doesn't equate to good and effective representatation.

Radio and TV producers now reach for the Healy Raes /Matty McGrath etc every time their is an issue concerning so called 'rural Ireland'. It gets a cheap laugh and good ratings.

This lot are disgracefully undermining the genuine concerns of rural constituencies for their own gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

This is something I have been thinking about.

Take the total CO2 output of say greater Dublin and divide by the population of greater Dublin -

Take the total CO2 output of Kerry and divide it by the population of Kerry -

Now you must include every bit of CO2 - every street light, cow belch, leisure centre, pub, shop, lorry, building activity, factory, docks, airport etc.

My guess is that the Kerry average will be a small fraction of the Dublin average.

I have a diesel car, burn peat, make my own electricity thats it, how about you ?

If you have a leaky roof full of holes do you start repairing the big holes first or the smaller ones ? Its the cities that are the big holes.

I have no figures on this, but I am willing to bet I am right, I contacted MHR and he said no such data exists in government, it should do.

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »

Take the total CO2 output of say greater Dublin and divide by the population of greater Dublin -

Now you must include every bit of CO2 - every street light, cow belch, leisure centre, pub, shop, lorry, building activity, factory, docks, airport etc.

My guess is that the Kerry average will be a small fraction of the Dublin average.

I have a diesel car, burn peat, make my own electricity thats it, how about you ?

If you have a leaky roof full of holes do you start repairing the big holes first or the smaller ones ? Its the cities that are the big holes.

I have no figures on this, but I am willing to bet I am right, I contacted MHR and he said no such data exists in government, it should do.

Why the **** would you contact that ignorant gombeen about this? Apart, possibly, in order to get a demonstration of how (wilfully?) ignorant he is? Contact the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications. Contact the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland.

They will be able to tell you where the CO2 is being generated, what's being done about it, and what savings are being (or are not being made) by energy providers, industry, agriculture, the public service, etc.

I have been assured that data for total CO2 by county/city is not available, please knock yourself out and prove me wrong.

Any comment on my guess about how CO2 dirty city folk are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have been assured that data for total CO2 by county/city is not available, please knock yourself out and prove me wrong.

So youre saying it would be greener if city folk moved to one off housing and were reliant on turf and needed 2 or 3 cars per household?

So youre saying it would be greener if city folk moved to one off housing and were reliant on turf and needed 2 or 3 cars per household?

No - just that it makes sense with any issue, like CO2, to gather the low hanging fruit first. There are much greater opportunities for cutting CO2 in the areas where most is being produced, pretty basic and standard stuff..

Are you including the 145,000 cows owned by Kerry farmers in the calculation?

• Advertisement

Yes did you read my post ?

Yes did you read my post ?

Sorry yes I see it now.
    If you do, its Kerry per capita by a big margin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Believe me, I am no supporter of the Greens, but... how do you square your desire to burn fossil fuels, cheaply, with the fact of climate change being caused by burning fossil fuels? A that a failure to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere and a three- or even two-degrees rise in average global temperature means we're all ****ed in the next couple of decades?

I have no desire to burn anything, but needs must, i don't have gas.

If the greens wanted to ban gas, how would you feel about that, how would you heat your house then?.

A lot of these city dwellers love to jump on the climate change bandwagon because it doesn't affect their way of life.

You do get that it doesn't matter one jot where you live if we - all of us - don't reduce CO2 emissions and keep global warming to less than 2 degrees?

Except, maybe, in the sense that you will see the effects much faster if you live near the coast or the floodplain of a river:

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/global-warming-map-shows-sligo-galway-and-mayo-underwater-by-2100

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/9/-8.9025/51.9862/?theme=water_level&map_type=water_level_above_mhhw&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&refresh=true&water_level=2.0&water_unit=m (Kilgarvan, fares reasonably ok at 2 metres rise - not so much Listowel or Ballybunion, but I'm all right, Danny!)

The dirty city folk are indeed dirty. But a) I can tell you exactly how much CO2 my employer has generated over the last few years. And b) how much that's reduced, year on year, for the past few years. So we're doing our part. And seriously, the SEAI have all the data. Sure, it may well take work to map CO2 emissions from "Rural Co-op Teo." to County Roscommon and "Hi Tech Cloud Datacentre PLC" to County Clare, but it's possible. Maybe they don't do it because it'd be pointless?

We're genuinely all in this together, you know.

Also, like, if you don't want our LPT, income tax and direct spend from tourism that subsidises rural Ireland because we're dirty polluters, I'd happily not subsidise you.

A lot of these city dwellers love to jump on the climate change bandwagon because it doesn't affect their way of life.

The climate change bandwagon just had President Biden announce today that they are going to cut US emissions by at least half of 2005 levels by 2030.

It's a bit late now, but rural Ireland should never have been allowed to develop in a way that people just slapped houses wherever they felt like it, it means things like gas are impossible to provide, and everyone is dependent on cars.
    Planning isn't really something that got much of a look in in Ireland over the decades, in cities or the countryside.

The climate change bandwagon just had President Biden announce today that they are going to cut US emissions by at least half of 2005 levels by 2030.

It's a bit late now, but rural Ireland should never have been allowed to develop in a way that people just slapped houses wherever they felt like it, it means things like gas are impossible to provide, and everyone is dependent on cars.
    Planning isn't really something that got much of a look in in Ireland over the decades, in cities or the countryside.

Okay for Biden to announce it, getting it passed is another thing, so don't get carried away with that one.

What do suggest people living in country do, abandon everything and head for the city's just to please a few loons, get real.

Okay for Biden to announce it, getting it passed is another thing, so don't get carried away with that one.

What do suggest people living in country do, abandon everything and head for the city's just to please a few loons, get real.

It's not a few loons, it's the US Government for one.
    Well it wouldn't have to be cities but in Europe people live in towns and villages in clustered communities, you can provide services like broadband and gas that way.
    But yeah it's not going to change here any time soon, so I don't know how they expect to change anything for the sake of the environment given the whole country is a giant beef and dairy farm with scattered housing everywhere.

Gas is a fossil fuel - its got to go too (unless its methane from carbon capture, but thats a long way off).

Gas is a fossil fuel - its got to go too (unless its methane from carbon capture, but thats a long way off).

You would think it has to be replaced eventually given it's finite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There's enough evidence out there now to show that cows actually sequester carbon. Where do you think all that manure goes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There's enough evidence out there now to show that cows actually sequester carbon. Where do you think all that manure goes?

Animals certainly could sequester carbon. Animal farming is much better environmentally than tillage. Lets start using good scientific research to guide us, not hunches from either side.

It's not a few loons, it's the US Government for one.
    Well it wouldn't have to be cities but in Europe people live in towns and villages in clustered communities, you can provide services like broadband and gas that way.
    But yeah it's not going to change here any time soon, so I don't know how they expect to change anything for the sake of the environment given the whole country is a giant beef and dairy farm with scattered housing everywhere.

Meanwhile China opening a new coal fired plant every week, but the good old laggards of Europe had to close our two peat burning plants to please a few muppets so the can further their own careers, costing thousands of jobs and destroying community's that was built up over the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It’s a bitter pill to swallow.

The people that thought they had a superior connection to the earth are actually the ones destroying it and are being schooled by the cleaner environmentally living urban dwellers.

No wonder Danny is roaring his head off in the Dáil.

Danny has a touch of, cursing the darkness rather than lighting a light.

Meanwhile China opening a new coal fired plant every week, but the good old laggards of Europe had to close our two peat burning plants to please a few muppets so the can further their own careers, costing thousands of jobs and destroying community's that was built up over the decades.

Meanwhile the USA announced to halve emissions by 2030. People like you used to say blah blah USA China before, you can't say that any more and the Chinese premier is attending the climate talks going on at the moment, I will not be surprised if they announce major plans to limit emissions.
    The peat plants would have had to shut down eventually, peat isn't infinite.

Meanwhile the USA announced to halve emissions by 2030. People like you used to say blah blah USA China before, you can't say that any more and the Chinese premier is attending the climate talks going on at the moment, I will not be surprised if they announce major plans to limit emissions.
    The peat plants would have had to shut down eventually, peat isn't infinite.

As i said before announcing and doing are two different things, the American wont roll over as easy as the Irish when it starts to hit them in the pocket.

As for China, don't make me laugh, the will do what the like as always.

What about the rainforest, are the still cutting away or have the stopped yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Water John wrote: »
    Danny has a touch of, cursing the darkness rather than lighting a light.

Different man In private away from the media

Different man In private away from the media

Yes, I have met him and his father, not fools.

I'd forgotten about that, it was fantastic to see those peat plants shutting down.

Complete silliness, burning dirt lol

Time to re-wet the bogs and bring back some biodiversity

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Animals certainly could sequester carbon. Animal farming is much better environmentally than tillage. Lets start using good scientific research to guide us, not hunches from either side.

Where's that gif of yer man from Futurama, with his eyes narrowing... "Can't tell if trolling or seriously believes that..."

Advertisement