Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something quite big

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

as far as I can find out it is not directly related to the big bang. It as also thought to be a lot larger now as more galaxies are thought to have joined the growing mass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Should Big Bang be reconsidered or revised or not be associated? Butterfly effect?

Black Swan wrote: »
    Should Big Bang be reconsidered or revised or not be associated? Butterfly effect?

I think it depends on your personal point of view Swannie'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Stephen Hawking's (and Thomas Hertog) last paper published before his death suggested the existence of parallel universes related to the Big Bang.

Ref:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-hawking-is-still-publishing-new-mind-bending-theories-about-space_us_5ae9d963e4b06748dc8eab21
    https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/JHEP04(2018)147.pdf

I had heard about that too Swannie thanks for reminding me. :)

• Advertisement

I like the position made elsewhere by another that in each era we though we had it right, while considering all those eras before as wrong. Makes me wonder what the future era will consider ours in light of theirs? Rubbish or a foundation to evolve from?

I try to keep an open mind at all times (Try) you never know what the idea will be.

I often disagree with top scientists (even Steven Hawking) but usually it is me that is wrong. Maybe I should stop doubting but I can't help myself.

Fathom wrote: »
    When taking research methods classes. Always told to proceed with caution. Accept nothing on faith.
    Yes, that is me right enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rubecula wrote: »
    I often disagree with top scientists (even Steven Hawking) but usually it is me that is wrong. Maybe I should stop doubting but I can't help myself.
    See Clarkes first law ;)

Clarke's three laws
    1 When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2 The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

- Arthur C. Clarke

• Advertisement

See Clarkes first law ;)

Clarke's three laws
    1 When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2 The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

- Arthur C. Clarke

thank you Captain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vetinari: Apprentices? But I can see to it that the finest craftsmen —
    Leonard da Quirm: Not craftsmen, my lord. I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

— The Last Hero , Terry Prachett

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Arthur Conan Doyle's methodology of Sherlock Holmes.

one of my favourite authors

Vetinari: Apprentices? But I can see to it that the finest craftsmen —
    Leonard da Quirm: Not craftsmen, my lord. I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

— The Last Hero , Terry Prachett

and another of my favourites

Makes note. Read Hawking & Hertog.
    way off topic. Watch Kinski and Herzog.

Anyway
    Can't wait until some more of the Gaia data has been explained , because info on our galaxy can be used to explain others.
    https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/home

Always found it odd that so may galaxies including our own have a super massive black hole or two at the centre with roughly a 1 : 700 ratio to the mass of their galaxies.

Finishing complete Sherlock Holmes works. Fast read. Historical take on deductive and intuitive methods applied to crime.

just like a yellow door "it is a lemon entry my dear, what's on?"

eat up it's alimentary

Karl Popper. Philosophy of science. Falsification. Cool POV Rubecula.

:cool: thank you Fathom one of the nicest comments I have received on my scientific thoughts.:)

oh I am all for pushing ahead, but sometimes I see the direction differently eg they see things mathematically, I never have done. I like maths but in fact I see things in a picture form so I often find it hard to explain my thoughts.

I have a science degree, but that is education, anyone can learn but to teach yourself to learn is a different kettle of fish, and that leads to your theory on theories if you can understand.

for example I know with every fibre of my being that we will never travel faster than light and nobody will ever travel down a wormhole but why would I say that? I know, but how can I explain such things.

• Advertisement

How about travel by folding space?
    It's a bit like Maxwell's deamon.

It sounds like it might work, but when you work out the energy differential it doesn't.

The big problem with black holes is spagettification. Due to gravity differentials you get streteched out unless the black hole was ginormous, which would mean you wouldn't want to be living near it.

Also lots of radiation given off by the matter falling in isn't going to make the entry fun either.

two types of black hole (super massive and small)
    two ways to die … spaghettification and crushed out of existence.

no white holes = no wormholes = no space folding = no way of travelling across huge distances in a human lifetime

Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring us. I hope I am proved wrong about FTL travel but frankly I think we are ultimately doomed. We will only ever colonise the solar system and that will only happen in many thousands of years.

the law of diminishing returns will make this a moot point I fear, have you noticed the lowering of IQ amongst the young for example?

Rubecula wrote: »
    the law of diminishing returns will make this a moot point I fear, have you noticed the lowering of IQ amongst the young for example?
    People have always complained about younglings

“The beardless youth… does not foresee what is useful, squandering his money.”

- Horace, 1st Century BC

“They think they know everything, and are always quite sure about it.”
    - Aristotle, 4th Century BC

But grade inflation is just a joke at this stage.

throw them into the Great Rift Valley and see how many walk out, but make sure you throw a couple of snipers in the mix too in case ay of them look like they are succeeding lol lol#

What does IQ measure? It's a test. Tests attempt to measure something real. Tests are approximations, not reality in themselves.
    IQ tests measure your ability to do that particular IQ test.

Grade inflation is a huge problem.
    and exam cheating too.

And bumping up grades doesn't help either.
    - nice data set.

And the income from foreign students means that Uni's have a huge interest in allowing students to progress to next year.

You can argue about subjective stuff, but when the questions in subjects like maths are getting easier it's very obvious. CBA looking for a link but I can remember seeing articles where questions on today's higher level papers would have been on the lower level ones from yesteryear.

Not according to James Flynn in Are We Getting Smarter? Rising IQ in the Twenty-First Century. Or Megan Gambio of smithsonian.com
    (December 3, 2012):
    What does IQ measure? It's a test. Tests attempt to measure something real. Tests are approximations, not reality in themselves.

Measurements have error and limitations. They operationalize conceptual models (derived from theories of intelligence in the case of IQ). Theories are educated guesses that suggest, do not prove. Consequently, we have to move with caution when interpreting IQ results.

Standardized IQ tests like the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, or WISC, have limitations. Do they adequately account for cohort changes from generation to generation? If the WISC changes, how do you compare one cohort IQ WISC standardization with a different standardization? If it doesn't change, to what extent do these IQ measures exhibit the "Flynn Effect?" If the WISC does change from generation to generation, to what extent can changes in IQ be attributed to changes in the IQ test itself? Further, to what extent do such IQ test changes threaten standardization between generations?

(Thanks Rubecula for raising this point. Which is much debated. It may appear on my research methods exam this week. I'm uncertain if there are any right or wrong answers to the IQ debate. Especially from scientific research methods that only "suggest." And theories that are only "educated guesses").

I really hope it helps you my friend (but good luck anyway) I wish I had been either a mathematician or an artist, (science never helped me in the slightest)

• Advertisement

Do Americans worship persons with high IQs? Elaine E. Castles (2012) in Inventing Intelligence: How America Came to Worship IQ concludes that they do. Another Holy Grail? Socially constructed myth; not reality?

never considered it before but yes it sounds very likely.

Advertisement