Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Did Chris just talk about football, even saying he watched the Real match:eek:

That has to be the first time i remember him speaking about sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Did Chris just talk about football, even saying he watched the Real match:eek:

That has to be the first time i remember him speaking about sport.

he's put his foot in it a few times with some daft comments about sport so he generally keeps quiet :) not his cup of tea I suppose.

I was surprised at the level of debate they about DOB and Siteserv, admittedly they did pussyfoot around the issue but at least it got a mention. Any other party and there would be Ivan blowing a gasket with his usual waffle along the lines of "surely [insert TD who farted too loudly] position is now untenable!!!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Chris' interviews with people on the No side of the referendum are laughable at times. Even when they're making perfectly reasonable points (leaving aside whether I actually agree with those points or not) he just keeps reiterating "The words of the question are...". No attempt to delve deeper into the objection.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Chris' interviews with people on the No side of the referendum are laughable at times. Even when they're making perfectly reasonable points (leaving aside whether I actually agree with those points or not) he just keeps reiterating "The words of the question are...". No attempt to delve deeper into the objection.

Yer one from the Iona institute humiliated the poor lad last week, if he can't contest with that crowd what hope has he got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He just doesn't cut it as an interviewer for me. He can't articulate concise questions to get to the nub of the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Anyone else think that Ivan gave the Land League's Jerry Beades a soft interview this morning? He's usually quite bullish and full of bluster and I would have expected him to take the LL task over their position re. Brian O'Donnell. Instead he left him to off to attack the bank and yesterday's court decision.

Maybe it's just me. I thought it was odd. I would hope Yates isn't letting his own horrible experience with the bank reduce his willingness to question O'Donnell's ridiculous position.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Ivan gave the Land League's Jerry Beades a soft interview this morning? He's usually quite bullish and full of bluster and I would have expected him to take the LL task over their position re. Brian O'Donnell. Instead he left him to off to attack the bank and yesterday's court decision.

Maybe it's just me. I thought it was odd. I would hope Yates isn't letting his own horrible experience with the bank reduce his willingness to question O'Donnell's ridiculous position.

I believe the bank in his own troubles were AIB and BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Message for Ivan,

That sure thing of a horse you gave out this morning did not win. . keep the tips to yourself in future...lol,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Glebee wrote: »
    Message for Ivan,

That sure thing of a horse you gave out this morning did not win. . keep the tips to yourself in future...lol,

He's a bankrupt bookie!

Would you really be following he's tips?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As of today's JNLR figures, they're the most listened to show on NT. Up a massive 35,000 since this time last year.

• Advertisement

As of today's JNLR figures, they're the most listened to show on NT. Up a massive 35,000 since this time last year.

Well done to them !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thats some jump

Did the 5k charity event go ahead ?

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

Chris Donoghue should be taken off the case here.. he has no objectivity at all... Doing his best to do a hatchet job on David Quinn a couple of days before the election..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's outrageous bs. Chris Donoghue is a disaster. How does this interview give balance to the lovey dovey YES interview earlier? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Chris Donoghue is absolutely ripping David Quinn apart here. Superb interview, David Quinn even denying a quote from an article that he actually wrote. Hilarious!

dublincelt wrote: »
    Chris Donoghue is absolutely ripping David Quinn apart here. Superb interview, David Quinn even denying a quote from an article that he actually wrote. Hilarious!

David Quinn doesn't represent me and it's lazy for Newstalk to wheel him out as the sole NO representative. Why could they not get an ordinary NO voter to come on to balance the earlier 'ordinary' YES voter?

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's outrageous bs. Chris Donoghue is a disaster. How does this interview give balance to the lovey dovey YES interview earlier? :rolleyes:

I read somebody posting on another thread that Newstalk dont have to be objective on the referendum, as they are a private station and not under the same obligations as the national broadcaster... Can anybody clarify this (and whether Chris should be awaiting a letter from the BAI)?

Newstalk in common with most media have been running with a blatant YES agenda since the campaign began.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

dublincelt wrote: »

Was hilarious alright. Especially the part when David Quinn repeatedly corrected him and called Chris Donohughe out for the exact type of tactics he was using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That was a great interview, great to see David Quinn squirming and backtracking so much, hopefully the No side aim to put as much distance between themselves and the Iona institute as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'm surprised that Chris allowed the bigoted David Quinn so much air time. It was a bit rich of Quinn to accuse Chris of deflection, a tactic employed by the No side (Iona) since the beginning. "Won't someone think of the children", came the cries from the supporters of the world's largest paedophile ring (The Roman Catholic church). Pull the other one. You couldn't give a rats about children.

The reason that Chris brought up Quinn's past views on divorce (an article he had written), is the fact that the No side have consistently asked why 'the gheys' aren't happy with civil partnership. This, after they fought against civil unions. David Quinn and his ilk are on the wrong side of history. Just like those who opposed: civil rights for blacks, women's rights and human slavery (if you want to go back even further).

I'm not selfish or homophobic enough to vote No.

Vote YES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can anybody clarify this (and whether Chris should be awaiting a letter from the BAI)?

He has previously been censured by the BAI before the referendum date was even announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Newstalk in common with most media have been running with a blatant YES agenda since the campaign began.

In this case, I think it's more that the Yes campaign makes the most sense.
    The No campaign is all over the shop and is full of spoof. Their arguments for the most part are nonsense.
    It's hard to find someone on the No side that is credible. And that David Quinn is a vile man.

I'm surprised that Chris allowed the bigoted David Quinn so much air time. It was a bit rich of Quinn to accuse Chris of deflection, a tactic employed by the No side (Iona) since the beginning. "Won't someone think of the children", came the cries from the supporters of the world's largest paedophile ring (The Roman Catholic church). Pull the other one. You couldn't give a rats about children.

The reason that Chris brought up Quinn's past views on divorce (an article he had written), is the fact that the No side have consistently asked why 'the gheys' aren't happy with civil partnership. This, after they fought against civil unions. David Quinn and his ilk are on the wrong side of history. Just like those who opposed: civil rights for blacks, women's rights and human slavery (if you want to go back even further).

I'm not selfish or homophobic enough to vote No.

Vote YES!!

massive huge unrelenting yawn....coming from a yes voter too.

only two more days thanks be to jesus. (hope i didnt offend you with the jesus reference)

In this case, I think it's more that the Yes campaign makes the most sense.
    The No campaign is all over the shop and is full of spoof. Their arguments for the most part are nonsense.
    It's hard to find someone on the No side that is credible. And that David Quinn is a vile man.

My point in a previous post is that wheeling out Quinn as a proponent of the NO side is a cynical move by Newstalk to be seen to give balance to the previous YES interview. They did it full in the knowledge that Quinn comes across badly and it's akin to getting the DUP to back the NO side. I'm still voting NO and it's feck all to do with the Iona Institute.

They did it full in the knowledge that Quinn comes across badly

That's surely the fault of Quinn. Should stations do private interviews before hand to see how they are before allowing them on air ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

My point in a previous post is that wheeling out Quinn as a proponent of the NO side is a cynical move by Newstalk to be seen to give balance to the previous YES interview. They did it full in the knowledge that Quinn comes across badly and it's akin to getting the DUP to back the NO side. I'm still voting NO and it's feck all to do with the Iona Institute.

The man from Del Monte should say Yes!!

I listened back again, I don't think it was a hatchet job, Quinn did all the damage himself, such as his squirming around his tweet asking who the father is, and would he ask a single woman the same. He's just a horrible man.

• Advertisement

There was about 500 pages of a previous thread mostly on the breakfast show and a long running theme throughout, in a nutshell was that...Chris is a sh*te interviewer and a sh*te presenter and all round fairly sh*te at his job, but seems like a nice guy and is hardworking. He wants to be loved just a bit too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement