Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

• 27-08-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

THE former head of 2FM has been drafted in to help lighten the tone of Sean O'Rourke's new RTE Radio One show in the old Pat Kenny slot.

John McMahon has joined the mid-morning team at the station to provide a lifestyle element to the weekday show's content, as it prepares to go head-to-head with Newstalk defector Mr Kenny from next Monday.

"John is the man who made Ryan Tubridy a star; he's a serious operator and knows how to make something work well," a source told the Irish Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ex2fm-boss-drafted-in-to-lighten-up-orourke-slot-29527558.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's someone by the name of Lazarus they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

"John is the man who made Ryan Tubridy a star; he's a serious operator and knows how to make something work well," a source told the Irish Independent.

No surprise that whoever came out with this gem insisted on doing so anonymously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

When I saw the words "lighten up" I automatically took them to mean dumbing down. :(

I really hope they don't do either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lifestyle element? They have just handed Newstalk some extra ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just let O'Rourke do what he does best, terrorize the bejaysus out of slippery politicians.

No need for gimmicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

He 'made Ryan Tubridy a star'?

I don't think so. He parachuted Tubs in to 2fm in a knee-jerk reaction after Gerry Ryan died, as Tubs was RTE's Golden Boy at the time (and still is, to an extent).

He presided over 2fm losing its way even further; he was responsible for the unimaginative, mistaken, ill-thought-out strategy of assuming telly presenters would make good radio presenters.

Still, I guess it's another non-job for him, in the same way there are many people in RTE who have non-jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

He 'made Ryan Tubridy a star'?

I don't think so. He parachuted Tubs in to 2fm in a knee-jerk reaction after Gerry Ryan died, as Tubs was RTE's Golden Boy at the time (and still is, to an extent).

I think they're talking about his time as producer of The Full Irish. Whatever about that - he certainly didn't know how to make the current show "work well", or 2fm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ghiertal wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ex2fm-boss-drafted-in-to-lighten-up-orourke-slot-29527558.html

Ah, another swipe at Tubridy disguised as a Sean O Rourke thread. You are nothing if not consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just heard on the news that Seamus Heaney's funeral will be broadcast live on RTE Radio 1. Depending on the start time, that must be a bit of a blow to Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RTE Fan

Just heard on the news that Seamus Heaney's funeral will be broadcast live on RTE Radio 1. Depending on the start time, that must be a bit of a blow to Sean.

FFS if they have to broadcast it, they should broadcast it on RTE Lyric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

RTE Fan wrote: »
    FFS if they have to broadcast it, they should broadcast it on RTE Lyric.

From the RTE news website...

RTÉ will broadcast the service live from 11am on RTÉ One television, on Radio One and on News Now.
    Television and radio coverage will also be streamed live on RTÉ.ie and will be available to audiences worldwide.

Well its a story and God knows the Irish like a funeral, so I don't see doing the programme any harm even if its hardly ideal.

10 minutes to go! :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Same music as before.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sean sounds very enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Sweet jesus what did they do the poor tune.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Sean is using Pat's old intro music.

It's the Today Show, but not as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Sounds like his first show will be very dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Bono on Pat Kenny on Newstalk drives me back to RTE in 3 minutes. I am fickle :)

Skid X wrote: »
    It's the Today Show, but not as we know it.

So is it the Today Show or the Sean O'Rourke Show?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Two of the most annoying people in the country to kick off the heavyweight head to head - Edna O'Brien and Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hermy wrote: »
    So is it the Today Show or the Sean O'Rourke Show?

Today with Sean O'Rourke
    Today with Seán O'Rourke | RTÉ Radio 1 | 10am-12pm Join Seán O'Rourke for a look behind the stories weekdays on RTÉ Radio 1. #TodaySOR
    Ireland · rte.ie/radio1/

https://twitter.com/TodaySOR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

John Waters and Mammy O'Rourke would be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Two of the most annoying people in the country to kick off the heavyweight head to head - Edna O'Brien and Bono.

OMG I could listen to Edna O'Brien all day ... what a voice and my favourite Heaney poem the iceing on the cake :)

Best of luck to Sean - it's a hard act to follow but I hope it goes well for him. I'm going to him a chance for a few weeks before I leap to judgement.

Callan57 wrote: »
    OMG I could listen to Edna O'Brien all day ... what a voice and my favourite Heaney poem the iceing on the cake :)

Her affected accent is enough for me to want to switch off.

Skid X wrote: »
    Today with Sean O'Rourke

So the show is the same but only the presenter has changed.
    I had thought they might change things a bit more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Bono on Pat Kenny on Newstalk drives me back to RTE in 3 minutes. I am fickle :)

You lasted two and a half minutes longer than me! :)

Hermy wrote: »
    So the show is the same but only the presenter has changed.
    I had thought they might change things a bit more.

I think it's a deliberate move. They want to demonstrate that the show is bigger than Pat Kenny himself.

• Advertisement

I think it's a deliberate move. They want to demonstrate that the show is bigger than Pat Kenny himself.

Fair point.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement