Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That ad for a night at the dogs (ie greyhound racing) is particulalry pissing me off ATM...yer wan is buying some vittles at the local supermarket and all her vitamin pills and energy drinks are apparently no match for going out to watch a procession of canine athletics and probably loosing most of her week's salary.

But "you never know, you might get lucky" :rolleyes:
    The sexual connotations in this sentence are annoying as hell...yes love, you're going to be bedded by the guy in the cloth cap who just blew his last tenner on trap 5...lucky you.

Oh and that fecking Eurospar ad (there may be a series of them), the one with superman "flying" round the shop and making bad puns about...there's another one in which the husband/boyfriend is revealed as apparently being the owner of a dress?
    Utter tripe, the lack of imagination in trying to advertise a simple minimart is astonishing....do these people actually get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wertz wrote:
    That ad for a night at the dogs (ie greyhound racing) is particulalry pissing me off ATM...
    And when they mention gourmet food? WTF? I've been on several corporate jollies out in Shelbourne Park recently and the most I got was currychips in a plastic-punnet.

She should just cut out the middle man (or dog), take a Dart out to Bray and play the slots.

To be fair, I got some top notch food in the stadium in Dundalk last time I was on a night out there (the advert is regionalised depending on where you hear it, local radio, Dublin stations etc), and IIRC it wasn't overly expensive.
    That aside the advert certainly wouldn't hold any sway with me were I in a position to be making corporate bookings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

There is one on newstalk frequently at the moment, and it drives me nucking futs. It’s for MLT Volkswagen dealers, and its one of those embarrassing ‘look at the difference’s between Southsiders and Northsiders, isn’t it hilarious’ type jobbies. It bandies out every tired old cliché and I hate it very very much.

And another one is Old Mr Brennan, why won’t that old baxtard just drop dead, and do us all a huge favour. I hope he chokes to death on his own stodgy bread.

I’d also like to weigh in behind those who hate the myhome.ie ads. The voice of that smug git. When I hear his nasal tones, I am reminded of overpriced coffee, panini’s, MPV’s, working in the IFSC, Renards, small cocks, 40 year mortgages and a child called Sorcha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Like the McDonalds add with Micko and bringing the pain....class!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've noticed that they've brought back that awful NTL ad, the 'sloppy note' one, on FM104. Joy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mavikiz

Surely the tv license ad. warning people about having to 'wear a suit instead of burmudas' because they will 'have a day in court' as they need another licence for the tv in their holiday homes.

I think the guy is trying to imitate Richard Wilson from One Foot in The Grave...so many annoying things about these advertisments I think they make more people more determined to never get a tv license.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

All those radio commercials for the TV licence are crap!! Of course if you own a radio but not a TV you dont need a licence!

New pet hates:

Easy Living magazine, mr and mrs middle class swap pleasantries about their lovely home and how much better said mag can make it...cringeworthy.

GE money; the henpecked guy's mate calls him about the trip to prague, he needs to take a break from his debt....by accruing more! Brilliant!
    Shove your loan up your arse.

Screw this.

*every* ad I hear either on RTE or Newstalk whilst stuck in traffic is like a rusty nine-inch-nail being slowly hammered into my skull.

Compare and contrast with how creatively they can produce radio ads in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SSIA ads are getting worse too.
    "You should see my impression of a one legged donkey".

Another ad (I think its for a broadband company) involves someone doing a tarzan yell that becomes a scream (because the line is missing - oh the hilarity). Very bloody annoying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

what gets my goat is the companies that create these ads are being paid a fortune, for what, putting people off the product? how the Flip does that help? and just what passes for a sense of humour in advertising these days, the funny ads are annoying not funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

what gets my goat is the companies that create these ads are being paid a fortune, for what, putting people off the product? how the Flip does that help? and just what passes for a sense of humour in advertising these days, the funny ads are annoying not funny!

Its very apparent these days that media agencies do NOT road test these ads with the general public. Judging by the "quality" of the shoite thats being aired at the moment it woud suggest theres a lot of back slapping their own offices and once they think its good then they feel it must appel to the general populous.

Bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

When possible turn over/off the radio when the ads come on, thats what I do. Life seems a lot less annoying ever since.

Sizzler wrote:
    Its very apparent these days that media agencies do NOT road test these ads with the general public. Judging by the "quality" of the shoite thats being aired at the moment it woud suggest theres a lot of back slapping their own offices and once they think its good then they feel it must appel to the general populous.
    Most ads on RTE Radio are done by their own production team for buttons for Irish SMEs buying adspace - agencies usually aren't involved.

I usually flick between RTE 1, RTE 2 and Newstalk and don't manage to hear most of the ad breaks.

New annoyance:

Clearwire Broadband....some smug yank telling us that his company alone will breach the gap left by eircom et al, no phone line etc....aye no feckin' server/client activty of any kind on their precious network either, but they forget to mention that little bit of detail.

Oh and whilst we're on the subject of Eircom and broadband, that particular ad of theirs that promotes eircom.net as being akin to having your very own telly that gets programmes before any of your mates (thread about this in the broadband forum)....it's almost as if they're promoting p2p and illegal file sharing, without actually doing so...it really shows what a bunch of f*cktards they are when they can't sell what is almost a service utility without promoting it as being some new way of watching TV....maybe their time and money would be better spent elsewhere trying to enable exchanges for the 1,000s of people crying out for a viable DSL service in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is an MBNA ad on the radio with a guy demanding Ryder Cup tickets.
    Who is it suppose to be? Michael Caine? Keith Richards? Someone else?

(I think its safe to say that when you have people asking 'who is that?', then the impersonation is pretty poor....)

Wertz wrote:
    Oh and whilst we're on the subject of Eircom and broadband, that particular ad of theirs that promotes eircom.net as being akin to having your very own telly that gets programmes before any of your mates (thread about this in the broadband forum)....it's almost as if they're promoting p2p and illegal file sharing, without actually doing so...it really shows what a bunch of f*cktards they are when they can't sell what is almost a service utility without promoting it as being some new way of watching TV...

Agreed, what also annoys me about them is their presumption that their target audience is stupid. Like, get broadband so you can find out lots of recipies for eating alfresco, you mean you cant do that on dial-up, pricks!

TmB wrote:
    There is an MBNA ad on the radio with a guy demanding Ryder Cup tickets.
    Who is it suppose to be? Michael Caine? Keith Richards? Someone else?

(I think its safe to say that when you have people asking 'who is that?', then the impersonation is pretty poor....)

Oh I hate that too and have thought who is it also.

Another one grating me and has me reaching for the dials to turn off, is one where some twat visits a fortune teller who speaks in an EE accent only in the end to speak with a Howiya Dublin accents, oh my sides ached with laughter over that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate the ad for Persil (or maybe it is Ariel) where they have some kids trying to read out the lines for the ad, and he can't pronounce alot of the words. Jeez, get proper actors for God sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There used to be a hilarious one for Irish Pride.
    woman: "I was saving it for a saaanndddwicchhh for mysellllfff" can't remember how it went but sounded like the sounded like the fella said "you totally selfish wank0r" :)

Ruu wrote:
    There used to be a hilarious one for Irish Pride.
    woman: "I was saving it for a saaanndddwicchhh for mysellllfff" can't remember how it went but sounded like the sounded like the fella said "you totally selfish wank0r" :)
    Wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The ONLY ad I can listen to is the Evian Spring girl. I could listen to that for ages. So sexy

The condom power ad on fm104 drives me nuts. WTF they are getting someone to do the ad who hopefully should be past all the kinky stuff

AAAARGH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

That flippin ad with the batchelor's walk twit who's a lorry driver bringing escarGOTS into france...uughghh. I'm happy to say, I dont even know what its for!
    Also, why the flurk do they have to hire Irish people to play French parts in these ads. I mean their accents are hopeless. Mine is better. The one in a recent Citroen ad sounded more Italian

What about that POXY ad for Opel where the guy is saying "tick tock tick tock...blah blah" ...."we spent all our budget reducing the ar value".

FFS ! Thats obvious mate, dont even waste your beath by pointing that out in the ad ! Insult to injury !

This weeks winner, the ad for fairy liquid where some cockney kid is reading the label off the bottle or some shoite. At least have the decency to use a local kid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭ Princess Shy Simulator

any of the adds for blanchardstown shopping centres etc get right on me tits-especially one a couple of years ago with a little prrick of a kid with a hoarse accent saying 'its all there in the square'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The ones where they have two people debating:

Smart person: "Did you know you can get {insurance} for {€25}"
    Eejit: "Oh No, where do i go?"
    Smart person: "Just call 1850 715 465"

...and thats repeated 8/9 times per hour. Even my ass, gets sore of that....

• Advertisement

Honestly, these days I think *every* ad on Irish radio these days makes me want to smash the radio out of my dashboard with the sole of my shoe Homer-style.

Chief culprits include:
    • the current '11890-Saves' campaign
    • any TV licence ad ("you're a bad person and you're worse than Hitler for not paying your fair share of Ryan Tubridy's salary")
    • Discount Electrical\Weston Gardiner (Die Geraldine, DIE!)
    • the one for the hotel where the password is 'Cheers!'
    • every 'terms and conditions apply, global-financial-corp are regulated under section seventy-nine of the financial authority act, the ambition of global-financial-corp may not be the same as your ambitions, investments may fall as well as rise, past indicators are no indication of future performance, potential investors may lose their house and life savings and have their children sold into white-slavery".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement