Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Spot on, I love a beer before going on holidays.

Enforce the existing rules and that’s it, no boarding if drunk.

Problem is, in the few seconds of interaction staff have with customers, once at the boarding gate and once at the door of the aircraft it might not be altogether apparent that a person or person(s) are altogether drunk...

Knowing that they must ‘appear’ sober it’s easy for the guys just to... “ ok play it straight “ until airborne.... then another couple over a couple of hours in the air and .....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Who cares what they were drinking if they weren't causing any issue.

The biggest problem seems to be people opening duty-free. Stop them from bringing it on board on certain flights and that issue would go away.

Seen it done, ‘sealing’ the bag is fûck all use folks just rip it, into the bathroom with a bottle of Fanta and bang.... again I knew of a nervous flyer who did this and never a peep out of him, it calmed him if anything but not everyone is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/12/03/dublin-airport-welcomes-15-new-services-this-winter

Think passenger growth will be 4-5% again next year. If Brexit passes off ok, should restuteca bit of confidence. Pound also at its strongest v the euro in seven months ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

This is off topic, but I recall a website before which lists the optimal airline loyalty program to use for each airline flight and booking class - can anyone recall the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've heard the absolute worse is Glasgow - Ibiza, but some of these stories are giving it a run for its money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGvsi7uX6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipz9NTF3WYI

Only 8 seconds, but heres another one to make you never want to go to Ibiza!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeOQUwBiRF0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Shouldn't be acceptable any more than smoking is acceptable on an aircraft in my opinion.

Not only is it disruptive and potentially threatening behaviour but I can only imagine what a nervous flier and cabin crew must go through on a flight like that.

I'd ban alcohol altogether from airports (carrying on duty free should be just banned on certain flights IMHO) and flights if it were up to me. I just don't see the need for it. And if people can't go without it maybe they need to assess whether they have a problem.

Might seem tough but i'd have no issue with a total ban on safety grounds let alone anything else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If airports couldn't shift booze (both duty free and bar) they'd need to add a few quid to passenger charges. That alone would put quite a few passengers and airlines off such a ban!

Some would say I'm being over the top about but my concern comes back to the smoking point.

One of these days there is going to be a very serious incident involving alcohol consumption on a British or Irish flight to one of these destinations way beyond mere petty assaults.

I see that sort of intoxicated group behaviour in passengers as a potential threat to flight safety, I really do.

(As a minimum other passengers should not have to tolerate it as some deranged cultural quirk)

My fear is it will take such an incident to force change. I don't see that behaviour is something that should be in any way tolerated on a flight.

20 years from now we will be looking back on this the same way we view smoking on flights in my honest opinion in a 'I can't believe that use to be allowed' sort of way.

Be better if they enforced the existing rules of course. But the drink policies really don't help.

L1011 wrote: »
    If airports couldn't shift booze (both duty free and bar) they'd need to add a few quid to passenger charges. That alone would put quite a few passengers and airlines off such a ban!

Maybe not such a bad thing. A “fly in peace” tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'd ban alcohol altogether from airports (carrying on duty free should be just banned on certain flights IMHO) and flights if it were up to me. I just don't see the need for it.

I don’t see the need for screaming babies on flights; can we ban those too? :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »
    I don’t see the need for screaming babies on flights; can we ban those too? :)

Babies are annoying and if it were up to me....

...but they are not raging alcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Couldn't see it working, nervous fliers who 'need' a drink before flying will sneak some through or get tanked beforehand. Might be slightly easier to spot them at the gate, but doesn't really remove the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd be completely OK with banning drink sales in the airport but its never going to happen for the stated financial reasons. But it also wouldn't solve the problem, I'd imagine the people on the IBZ flights would just bring their own booze to the airport in hotel mini bottles. Or get tanked up before security. They'd find some way of getting drunk.

The only real way to combat it would be actual trained security (ie, bouncers) at the boarding gate, being very strict with anyone who looks/smells like they've been boozing. But that would delay boarding, and cost a fair bit, so its probably unlikely to happen until a bad incident happens on one of these flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Might scanning boarding cards before purchasing alcohol help? Airlines can add flights to a database and the bar just scans the pass much like they do in duty free and if your on a flight not allowing it, the bar can’t sell you drink!

Yeah people can just ask someone else to go get the pints and it wouldn’t stop it altogether, but it would prevent a great deal of drunken antics

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Might scanning boarding cards before purchasing alcohol help? Airlines can add flights to a database and the bar just scans the pass much like they do in duty free and if your on a flight not allowing it, the bar can’t sell you drink!

Yeah people can just ask someone else to go get the pints and it wouldn’t stop it altogether, but it would prevent a great deal of drunken antics

A tenner ticket to the UK would quickly sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Oh dear. Could feel a downturn coming. There has been more seat removals than additions over past few months.

No new airside or landside passenger infrastructure being built either.

And still no rail link.

The airport has hit the buffers of capacity and national incompetence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh dear. Could feel a downturn coming. There has been more seat removals than additions over past few months.

And still no rail link.

This fall has absolutely nothing to do with infrastructure or capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

And still no rail link.

Are you a script writer for Eastenders?.. the drama of it all.

1% fall is not a downturn and certainly November figures have nothing to do with infrastructure.

I agree though that the infrastructure needs building asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

L1011 wrote: »
    This fall has absolutely nothing to do with infrastructure or capacity

True. What we have at the moment is an airport that is over capacity - but that just means the service is bad, not that people are deterred from using it. Its a monopoly after all.
    While a 1% drop is small to unnoticeable in practice, I would still read it as good news - it's a heck if a lot better than an increasing number.

• Advertisement

True. What we have at the moment is an airport that is over capacity - but that just means the service is bad, not that people are deterred from using it. Its a monopoly after all.
    While a 1% drop is small to unnoticeable in practice, I would still read it as good news - it's a heck if a lot better than an increasing number.

Over capacity in terms of what ?

Your opinion versus facts and studies. The airport at times is working to stand capacity. Look at the recent slot announcement, there is still 20%+ slots available, although not at attractive timings. The terminal isn’t at capacity yet. The runway isn’t at capacity yet or they wouldn’t be still granting slots.

And still no rail link.

This is as a result of the loss of Wow air, Norwegian and the loss of Cathay and Hainan for the winter months. None of which have been replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Over capacity in terms of what ?.

Over capacity in terms of their being a poorly implemented temporary facility as the South Gates. If it Dub airport were within its capacity, it would either not have that, or would have a proper terminal/gates facility.
    DAA could put up a tent and have people walk two miles. They could get on their plane. But I still wouldn't call that within its capacity.
    I use those gates a lot unfortunately for EI routes to France. They quite a pain, and evidence that the airport is above reasonable capacity.

Over capacity in terms of their being a poorly implemented temporary facility as the South Gates. If it Dub airport were within its capacity, it would either not have that, or would have a proper terminal/gates facility.
    DAA could put up a tent and have people walk two miles. They could get on their plane. But I still wouldn't call that within its capacity.
    I use those gates a lot unfortunately for EI routes to France. They quite a pain, and evidence that the airport is above reasonable capacity.

Your version of capacity and aviation approved versions of capacity are two very different things. The airport is nowhere near perfect and has a way to go but it's not at capacity.. fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Your version of capacity and aviation approved versions of capacity are two very different things. The airport is nowhere near perfect and has a way to go but it's not at capacity.. fact.

Fact? Not sure, could you not argue it is at capacity from a stand point of view at peak times? Agree it doesn’t mean the airport is at capacity but there are capacity issues.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Fact? Not sure, could you not argue it is at capacity from a stand point of view at peak times? Agree it doesn’t mean the airport is at capacity but there are capacity issues.

Yes you are correct about stands. Way past capacity. I was referring to the posters comments on terminal and gate capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus add Rhodes, Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus add Rhodes, Greece.

Pity they won't be using an Airbus 330 for the longer flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Over capacity in terms of their being a poorly implemented temporary facility as the South Gates.

I don't mind the South Gates that much, but I really hate the way arrivals are bused to the end of the pier and back again.

The direct walking distance – if passengers were allowed to do it – is less than a third of the length of the hike from the extremities of the 100 gates.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Try landing in an airport like Doha and being on a remote stand that takes 20/30 minutes to get to the gate. Dublin's problems are tiny compared to others around the world.

Advertisement