Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

NK is the big winner in all this.

No matter who is on air, he's making money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

pretty pathetic the way that Mary Wilson and Barry Lenihan are reporting on Dee Forbes appearance in front of the TDs as if she worked for a different company, as if they did not work for RTE, and as if Mary Wilson was not in fact one of those hugely over paid presenters that was referenced in the discussion today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,931 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

pretty pathetic the way that Mary Wilson and Barry Lenihan are reporting on Dee Forbes appearance in front of the TDs as if she worked for a different company, as if they did not work for RTE, and as if Mary Wilson was not in fact one of those hugely over paid presenters that was referenced in the discussion today.

Lenihan is the ‘attack dog’ for RTE .

Looks like RTE have slipped the noose again.

This could be an issue in the next election.

Watch the pay cuts for ‘the stars’ slide away under the radar.

Unless that nettle is grasped firmly RTE will never have serious public support.

Sure it’s a hard job, sure not everyone could do it, but it doesn’t come near to justify the mad contracts this lot are on.....not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

sligojoek wrote: »
    NK is the big winner in all this.

No matter who is on air, he's making money.

NK?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mrpdap wrote: »
    NK?

Noel Kelly. Agent to the "Stars"

• Advertisement

mrpdap wrote: »
    NK?

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/male.html

You’ll recognise a few of these, I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Thanks, a few familiar faces there. Must give N a shout, he could raise my profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

:eek:

You souldnt post that sort of link

BB, I dont see you listed

Paschal Donohue ripped Mary out a new one tonight.

She tried to be too smart hitting him with the ‘printer’ stuff, and was put very firmly in her box.

Let’s see if RTE drop this one now, after weeks of mentions and discussions on almost every show.

Time will tell.

Would someone tell that lad Paul to stop name checking Mary every ten seconds.

What in fcuks name does he actually say...... I can never get to a salient point in his discourse, it just goes round and round and round.....

I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lenihan is the ‘attack dog’ for RTE .

Looks like RTE have slipped the noose again.

Watch the pay cuts for ‘the stars’ slide away under the radar.

Unless that nettle is grasped firmly RTE will never have serious public support.

It looks like you're right.

All the news about this has died down.....with only reports that the presenters from RTe's digitial stations are getting laid off at the end of 2019.

This is to make it look like they are doing something, when in reality it might be a handful of people.....and definitely no hit yet on the huge earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is to make it look like they are doing something, when in reality it might be a handful of people.....and definitely no hit yet on the huge earners.

How does it "make it look like they are doing something" given that outside Boards.ie nobody knows it's happening

Lenihan is frothing at the mouth on this evenings programme.

Horsing in to FG

Lenihan making it perfectly clear he wants to have a big cut at FG

This tool should be pulled up on his attitude,after all there is an impartiality rule in RTE.

Where does this guy fall in this regulation, one has to ask.

Way outside the boundaries in this posters opinion.

Action required.

Hmmmm Mary Wilson very interested in the retirement situation in RTE.

I’d say there are a fair few ‘luvvies’ rubbing their hands out there now .... especially some who have retired in the past few months.

Interesting times ahead, this poster would opine.

Bit of a slippery slope in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The woman is ignorant. She constantly talks over her contributors and interrupts them.

Bad manners at best, rank incompetence at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The woman is ignorant. She constantly talks over her contributors and interrupts them.

She has an air of authority and a condescending nature that neither her ability nor her intellect justify. She is just not suited to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭stabeek

Listening to yesterday's interview with the Iranian professor, the methods being used in Ms. Wilson's interview style are made clear because they were totally misplaced for this subject.

Here we have an academic gentleman living in Tehran with I expect a good deal of renown in his own country. His unbelieveably good English also suggests he's internationally pretty well known too. He answered his questions pretty directly, no dillydallying and never got irascible. Neither was he full of propaganda. Commentators like that on such an incandescent issue, who talk to you from Iran are few and far between.

But Ms. Wilson's style is based on dealing with Irish and British politicians who are trained in deflecting questions and beating around the bush. This is was not the case here. Wholly inappropriate. If it were Boris Johnson, then yes, Ms. Wilson's style would be just the ticket. She kept pointing to the freedom of Iranian press, as if it were really pristine free over here, with no business interests at all.

I really think she needs to develop a second approach for interrnational issues like this, something that would bear more fruit of useful opportunities like these (this one unfortunately lost). I'd apply to John Simpson for some masterclasses on this, though there are others. Olivia O'Leary for example. Doesn't she even host Olivia for a five minute segment occasionally?

[Postedit: there's a Youtube interview of John Simpson with George Hook on the pristine free media outlet Newstalk ... I mean he is amenable ...]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mary was unable to hide her disapproval this evening when discussing the vox pop on the ground in fingal , vox pop featured many voices who believe immigrants are fast tracked when it comes to local authority housing .

directives from the top in RTE are followed as tightly as a vatican instruction to the parishes of ireland circa 1957

Well done Paschal... tore Wilson out a new one on today’s Drivetime

24/01/20.

She tried to put the boot in on ‘failures’ but Donohue gave it back- with interest

Well done mate, put that arrogant person in her place.

• Advertisement

That tool Fitzmaurice going berserk on Drivetime.

Never did anything other than hunt with the hounds and run with the hare.

Complete imposter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whyalwaysyou24

Mary in full SJW mode today.

She loves to hear asylum seekers dumped across the country. Wonder if it would be the same tone if they were shipped closer to home, maybe a nice centre in Sandycove. Close to public transport and in a city where there is employment available.

Really a shame to just have one interviewer at what is a peak time.

Could do with two up and coming contributors instead of her predictable condescension and constant interruptions.

Wilson is one bitter pill, never lets the feminist angle slip.

Interviewing Simon Harris about the rugby match vs Italy in two weeks time, Harris opined that the game shouldn’t go ahead.

Wilson then queries him on the women’s game which is on the following day as to whether that would go a ahead.

Jaysus ...the game is the next day.... what do you think you clown.

Couldn’t wait to get the dig in, immature and petty presenting.

No surprise there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

God the new break music on drive time is simply awful. I listened today for the first time in a while. They seem to take a break after every single interview. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

holyhead wrote: »
    God the new break music on drive time is simply awful. I listened today for the first time in a while. They seem to take a break after every single interview. Annoying.

Annoying, but perhaps not quite as annoying as the bits between the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

0lddog wrote: »
    Annoying, but perhaps not quite as annoying as the bits between the breaks.
    I tuned in the other day, there were two guests on.

One was talking when i tuned in, MW shouted over him to let the other man respond - and then proceeded to shout over the other man (who was valiantly trying to respond) with her own version of whatever it was she clearly thought he should be saying.

The sheer rudeness of it all was astounding.

I listen to bits, but episodes like this one is why those bits are short, and rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Have to agree with the last couple of poster here. I see an increasing bitterness from MW, maybe there is something going on in her life but she seems to have a complete lack of patience or empathy at the moment and she needs to either step up to the plate as a professional broadcaster or take a break for a while. Makes for very cringe and awkward interviews

Please.... stop starting every sentence with “So’

Please........ not criticising..... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the last couple of poster here. I see an increasing bitterness from MW, maybe there is something going on in her life but she seems to have a complete lack of patience or empathy at the moment and she needs to either step up to the plate as a professional broadcaster or take a break for a while. Makes for very cringe and awkward interviews

Due to get hitched to a doctor this year I read recently.

Maybe she's had to slash the guest list in the current state of emergency.

• Advertisement

How many name checks will ML give Mary.

Three so far.Now four.

Now telling us all the stuff that we all have heard before.

Now using hindsight and doesn’t seem to think that 3.8 billion over 12 week is enough.

FFS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement