Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condesation on my double glazed window.

• 11-12-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any ideas what causes this circle of condensation on my double glazed window.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

In the centre of the window? Are these older double glazed windows? If so, might be collapsed glass... 2 panes have eventually warped over time, now meeting each other in the middle and forming the coldest spot, with no air insulating between them.

We have 2 windows older than the rest in the house. I have the same issue in one of the older windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

You can get the glass replaced you won't have to replace the whole window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Is it on the outside or in between the panes? Condensation can just be a sign that they are well insulated https://www.energlaze.ie/condensation-info/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

hots wrote: »
    Is it on the outside or in between the panes? Condensation can just be a sign that they are well insulated https://www.energlaze.ie/condensation-info/

The condesation is on the inside.

zippy84 wrote: »
    In the centre of the window? Are these older double glazed windows? If so, might be collapsed glass... 2 panes have eventually warped over time, now meeting each other in the middle and forming the coldest spot, with no air insulating between them.

We have 2 windows older than the rest in the house. I have the same issue in one of the older windows.

The windows are probably 15 years old.

• Advertisement

zippy84 wrote: »

In the centre of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I get the same along the edges of the windows. I think the pull down blind might be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

Can you wipe that or is it in between the two panes?

PCros wrote: »
    Can you wipe that or is it in between the two panes?

I can wipe it or it just goes away throughout the day.

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

kerdiff wrote: »
    The windows are probably 15 years old.

Then I doubt that the 2 panes have collapsed into each other, and this is a different issue. My window is older and of an era when 12 mm gap would have been the standard. I'd say yours are 16mm and shouldn't be old enough to have deflected to the middle to that extent, unless the glass used was just too thin. I'm not entirely sure though.

Try this maybe - When dark outside, if you look at the reflection of an inside light through the window, with double glazing you'll generally see 2 reflections. Try moving from the edge of the window to the centre and see if the two reflections get closer together as you go toward the middle, if so, you'll know the 2 panes are deflecting toward each other at the middle, and less gap means lower u-value and a colder surface, hence the condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

I think somebody went a bit overboard with the fly spray in the center of that window.
    Clean it thoroughly.

Advertisement