Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Indeed! wonder would a flash drive work actually?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure it would if you tricked it into being a ide drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking of, I thought they it might have moved to foing it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I vaguely recall once seeing a sata adapter that then had a sata to sd card adapter plugged into that one. It was years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Options:
    - Adapt the PS2 fat IDE interface to SATA
    You could just use a SATA SSD if that was what you meant by flash.
    - again if you do have a IDE adapter already, ignore that and get a SD/CF card to IDE :)

Now, could you pop the media out to move to another machine to copy games on to? That i'm not sure about, its been an age since I played around with my PS2/adapter setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Brook Zero-Pi (a better PCB than a Zero-Delay)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Looks like a little gem

Only watched that last night too, defo one to add to the wish list.

Master of the Universe

I'll give that another look :)

If I remember correctly, HD Loader was missing from the menu. How I played games previously was to dump them onto a drive the old fashioned way and then boot them with Open PS2 Loader.

Might just be running an ancient version of Free McBoot. I see there are mountains of memory cards for sale on ebay for next to nothing with the latest version installed, will pick one up one now actually and give it a go.

Update on the above, my new memory card arrived from ebay with the latest Free McBoot installed. HDLoader is indeed on this version now and games are ripping from discs perfectly.

Seems to take approx 25 minutes for a 4GB DVD. Did rip Half Life (which is on a cd) in about 3-4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya ripping DVD can be very slow - its faster to download the iso and transfer with Winhiip :)

There are a heap of HDLoader versions out and can be confusing. I think the LBA48 patch is the most important one, actually bought the original release of HDloader on disc before in pulled from sale years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

It's that time of year again. And this time in 4k.

Speaking of, does anyone know if that version with the Den TV crew from the '90s doing their own take on Last Christmas available anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

It's that time of year again. And this time in 4k.

Speaking of, does anyone know if that version with the Den TV crew from the '90s doing their own take on Last Christmas available anywhere online?
    Ciderman already got most of us accidentally through the playlist shuffle at the beers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ciderman already got most of us accidentally through the playlist shuffle at the beers

Mwa ha ha ha!!

Seems that there is no pre-order fun with PSIO carts now - real PS1 SDCard game loading fun for all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Seems that there is no pre-order fun with PSIO carts now - real PS1 SDCard game loading fun for all

Thank god. Going to get one myself.... once the credit card is paid off.

Sakura Wars has received a fan translation on the Saturn.

Sakura Wars was a massive game for Sega that never got a release in the west other than a spin off on the PS2/Wii well into the twilight of both consoles. The series is getting a reboot next year.

Virtua Fighter saved the Saturn in Japan but Sakura Wars made it a hit. It was a massive seller for Sega and ended up as an anime and then a number of stage plays. It also made a superstar of the leads voice actor.

Will be nice to get to play this little forgotten piece of Sega history.

Congrats to Banjo Guy Ollie with his tunes featuring in the latest Gaming Historian video on Super Mario Bros. 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

thanks. yeah we'd been talking about this for a while and he commissioned me for 4 custom covers for the video.
    Looks like it'll be a regular thing too ;) covers and compositions

So, I saw a Star War today, and...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One for o1s1n this, gorgeous looking Metal Slug art book. :)

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/metal-slug-the-ultimate-history

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    One for o1s1n this, gorgeous looking Metal Slug art book. :)

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/metal-slug-the-ultimate-history

I dropped a few Christmas hints on that one so let's see what happens in a few days :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, I saw a Star War today, and...

I dunno, I quite enjoyed it.
    Sure, there was some stuff that was regrettable, but plenty to enjoy and given the track record of great SW movies and bad, this was on the right side of that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sure, there was some stuff that was regrettable, but plenty to enjoy and given the track record of great SW movies and bad, this was on the right side of that line.

I thought it wasn't too bad. Most of the issues I had were due to the direction the previous film went in. Last Jedi left it in a very bad place to continue on from with too many story threads closed off.

I thought it wasn't too bad. Most of the issues I had were due to the direction the previous film went in. Last Jedi left it in a very bad place to continue on from with too many story threads closed off.
    When I say that the movie comes off as a WattPad user trying to write a pre-Disney Extended Universe chapter, I'm not exaggerating. Plot threads opened and then dropped, MacGuffins on top of MacGuffins, utterly stupid reveals (
    "Oh your parents were nothing. They just chose to be."
    ), character moments where the audience are supposed to care that this thing happened are immediately undercut (hello, Chewie and Threepio), the breakneck pace of the whole thing, and there's so many instances throughout that appear to come across as direct responses to Last Jedi's baseless criticisms, because godforbid a major blockbuster dares to make the audience think or do something different.

I knew from the very beginning when JJ was announced that he would be an ill fit for the franchise. Sure, his movies generally have a degree of polish in them, but he's just so uncreative in how he approaches things like themes and story, often resorting to ideas of what he thinks the fans want (case in point, Star Trek Into Darkness). And while that approach worked for The Force Awakens, when the time came to stick the landing, he had probably a dozen or so opportunities to go with. Instead he went with the cheapest, most obvious ones, and in the end, we got a wet fart of a conclusion to the Skywalker saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Couldn't agree more, up there with VIII as a thoroughly enjoyable Star Wars movie (VII was merely good, but was a by the numbers reboot mostly). Sure, it could have been better....but by god we all know they could have been worse...

source.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I haven't seen it.

I saw a few adds for it. The music put me off me off. That never happened before , apart from ABBA movies.

Anyway everything sound too hyped up, too final. I'm too hyped up in work at the moment to spare any hope for a SW movie.

I could do with a good Mad Max at the moment.

Just me, my savage dog, a sawn off shotgun, 11 bullets, a V8 and lots of go juice just going from place to place looking for the bare essentials and the odd supermodel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I haven't seen it.

I saw a few adds for it. The music put me off me off. That never happened before , apart from ABBA movies.

Anyway everything sound too hyped up, too final. I'm too hyped up in work at the moment to spare any hope a SW movie.

Just me, my savage dog, a sawn off shotgun, 11 bullets, a V8 and lots of go juice just going from place to place looking for the bare essentials and the odd supermodel.

Keep it simple.

Stoner wrote: »
    I haven't seen it.

Anyway everything sound too hyped up, too final. I'm too hyped up in work at the moment to spare any hope for a SW movie.

I have been craving a Fury Road rewatch lately.
    Stoner wrote: »
    I haven't seen it.

Anyway everything sound too hyped up, too final. I'm too hyped up in work at the moment to spare any hope a SW movie.

Keep it simple.
    I have been craving a Fury Road rewatch lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCOhcy8-n8

An SMK White Xmas :)

This brings me close to 45th in the world. And a good end to the year could get me into the 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Chuck Peddle died last week, the name may not be familiar to a lot of people here but most will have definitely be familiar with his work.

He is mostly known as the creator of the 6502 processor, used in numerous platforms we've all used over the years (either in original form or derivatives) - NES, Atari 2600, 7800, Atari 8-bit computers, Commodore PET, Vic-20, C64, C128, BBC Micros, Acorns, Orics and the 6502 is still in production today.

He has done numerous interviews on Youtube that are worth checking out if you're interested in such things :)

Advertisement