Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi guys, the last time Ive driven a Defender was almost 20 years ago, and that was our 1985 90 pick up.
    Got a loan of a 2007 Defender pickup yesterday, and I was amazed at how cramped they've become!
    Big awkward dashboard that your knee is up against, handbrake up against your calf .. etc etc

How did they keep selling them for so long?

Anyway, here's a few pictures of the pickup they SHOULD have sold...

x7tVsoK.jpg

wMZuNQK.jpg

B8dLycU.jpg

Leather and Auto, very nice!

That's a gorgeous thing. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Oh really????????:cool:

This is how you recycle a Discovery http://www.rotodama.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Singlecab.jpg

That pickup is a nice job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

banjolin wrote: »
    Oh really????????:cool:

This is how you recycle a Discovery http://www.rotodama.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Singlecab.jpg

That pickup is a nice job though.

Yeah seen then, not a big fan of the design but the whole idea makes a lot of sense.

Apparently they're working on a camper design as well, could be very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Suckler

I will probably end up doing time if I ever come across the Engineer/designer that put the slave cylinder inside the gearbox on the Puma Defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Suckler wrote: »
    I will probably end up doing time if I ever come across the Engineer/designer that put the slave cylinder inside the gearbox on the Puma Defenders.

Hey, at least you don't have to take the gearbox up into the cab to remove it any more!
    Who says Landrover didn't keep up with the times? ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jonnybe

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of buying a used defender (around 2015) and have heard from a mechanic friend that they can fail NCT due to emissions, wondering if anyone has experience with this, or would it be older models only?

Specifically I'm looking at a 2015 2.2 Diesel Defender 90 XS. Any other tips or advice on purchase/ownership appreciated, I know this is somewhat a heart over head decision but figure I'm in the right place!

Thanks,
    Jonny

jonnybe wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm thinking of buying a used defender (around 2015) and have heard from a mechanic friend that they can fail NCT due to emissions, wondering if anyone has experience with this, or would it be older models only?

Specifically I'm looking at a 2015 2.2 Diesel Defender 90 XS. Any other tips or advice on purchase/ownership appreciated, I know this is somewhat a heart over head decision but figure I'm in the right place!

Thanks,
    Jonny

Well now Jonny. Where to begin? First, if you have the money to pay for a 2015 90 XS there are any number of other ways to blow that kind of money that will break your heart just as easily. If its a mid-life crisis thing, have you thought about having an affair? Cheaper in the long run.

Anyway, most people who have been on this thread have or want older models - TD5 or older, so not sure how useful it is to ask here. There are facebook pages for the PUMA/ later engines that will tell you all you need to know.

Its probably a no-brainer to buy one if you are depreciation averse, but they are a VERY acquired taste for everyday use if that is your plan. There is no way a 2015 model is going to fail a test on emissions if it is in good order.

If you want it, buy it. But haggle hard. Really stupid money being asked for late 90's. If you don't like it, as long as you haven't been rode on the price, you will get your money back.

Thanks so much for the advice! What sort of money do you think a low mileage 2015 Xs should be going for? Everything appears immaculate.

Cheers

I'd have to see it. Commercial or SW? Dealer or private? XS is top of the range and would have been top price when new. Is it standard? So many are tricked out and pimped it is hard to price them without seeing them. Have a look at UK prices and get an average, work out the VRT on the customs and excise website and you have a fair idea.

Are there mechanics everyone here goes to or can recommend with some defender knowledge? My main worry is keeping it in good condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hey folks,

Thanks,
    Jonny

I'm sure any car can fail due to emissions if there is a fault. Did your mechanic friend specify the more modern engine that would be in a 2015 model?

I've a 2003 TD5 just past DOE/CVRT test and has never had an emissions issue in 15 tests. But maybe CVRT is not as strict as NCT?

Hey all,

Can't find defenders at all on the VRT calculator website, wondering if anyone knows how much VRT on a 90 XS 2016 with about 30,000 miles would be?

The person I called working in VRT department said they can't say until it's presented!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Hey all,

Can't find defenders at all on the VRT calculator website, wondering if anyone knows how much VRT on a 90 XS 2016 with about 30,000 miles would be?

The person I called working in VRT department said they can't say until it's presented!

Thanks

Is she a Hard Top or a Station Wagon? When I registered my 2016 90 XS HT in Jan 16 it was €200 and I presume it’s still the same. If it’s a SW then it’s a percentage of the OMSP, total guesswork without the online calculator...

It's a SW (Front facing back seats) if that makes any difference? Cat A seems to be 36/37% of an OMSP that I can't find anywhere, seems prohibitively expensive unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hi Folks. A quick question for those more knowledgable than myself. I'm considering buy a SIII for restoration however I'm not sure how much work is involved with the following and if the parts are hard to source. I'm looking at a SIII pickup that's been parked up for a number of years. It's got a 2.3D Nissan engine fitted and the gearbox is missing. I know it had some rust in the bulkhead (not sure how bad) and that the chassis has some rust to the rear. I've yet to go and look at it but I've been told that much.

Is it a world of pain I'd be getting into or suitable for the amateur to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Hi Folks. A quick question for those more knowledgable than myself. I'm considering buy a SIII for restoration however I'm not sure how much work is involved with the following and if the parts are hard to source. I'm looking at a SIII pickup that's been parked up for a number of years. It's got a 2.3D Nissan engine fitted and the gearbox is missing. I know it had some rust in the bulkhead (not sure how bad) and that the chassis has some rust to the rear. I've yet to go and look at it but I've been told that much.

Is it a world of pain I'd be getting into or suitable for the amateur to work on.

If it's been sitting outside for a number of years I'd say the missing gear box will be the least of your worries. Most likely rotten to the core, bulk head,outriggers,chassis,floor,doors inspect pretty much everywhere. If you consider the running ones are pretty much a rolling project I'd be going in with eye wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yes it's a world of pain, but on the other hand everything is available new.
    If you have the money, nothing is impossible.
    If the back cross member is rusted away, expect the rest of the chassis to be closely following suite.
    S111 have a more "vintage" look, but an early 90 would be a lot nicer to drive in my opinion.
    They even had disk brakes at the front!
    PS , early 90 from about 1985 will be rotten too.......
    Buy a few issues of the Land Rover magazines to get an idea of prices for parts.
    There was a guy in Co.Down had extensive spares, both new and S/H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If it's been sitting outside for a number of years I'd say the missing gear box will be the least of your worries. Most likely rotten to the core, bulk head,outriggers,chassis,floor,doors inspect pretty much everywhere. If you consider the running ones are pretty much a rolling project I'd be going in with eye wide open.

I'd best describe where it's been parked as "damp".

Walk away I think.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'd best describe where it's been parked as "damp".

Walk away I think.

No harm in taking a look if it's a project you're after. In reality they all need some work and some need more than others. If the price is right and you don't mind getting your hands dirty it could be a runner. If the chassis is rotten I'd walk away unless you've budgeted for a galv chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Hi all, about a quarter way through this forum,still a bit left to read! but seeing some serious love for the defender.
    A question I have is about rear side bench seats in a defender 90,are these legal to use?is it possible to get insurance for these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

covey123 wrote: »
    Hi all, about a quarter way through this forum,still a bit left to read! but seeing some serious love for the defender.
    A question I have is about rear side bench seats in a defender 90,are these legal to use?is it possible to get insurance for these?

It would depend on what it is on the logbook, is it a commercial or a passenger vehicle? If commercial than it probably states that it is a 2 or 3 seater (fronts) if passenger then it could be a 7 seater 3 front 2 each side in the back. I think that the side facing seats were made illegal after 2007 (?) so what year is your vehicle?

Yawlboy wrote: »
    It would depend on what it is on the logbook, is it a commercial or a passenger vehicle? If commercial than it probably states that it is a 2 or 3 seater (fronts) if passenger then it could be a 7 seater 3 front 2 each side in the back. I think that the side facing seats were made illegal after 2007 (?) so what year is your vehicle?

No I don't have one, only toying with the idea of it at the moment to be honest,will probably have to be sensible a while and wait until the kids are a bit older!
    If I was to get one it would I would only occasionally need a 6 seater so I'm trying to justify it that way!

No I don't have one, only toying with the idea of it at the moment to be honest,will probably have to be sensible a while and wait until the kids are a bit older!
    If I was to get one it would I would only occasionally need a 6 seater so I'm trying to justify it that way!

I'd be reluctant to put an enemy into one of those rear seats let alone my kids. Get yourself a 110 crew cab and someone a bus pass :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd be reluctant to put an enemy into one of those rear seats let alone my kids.

Do u not think it would be character building for them ;-)

Do u not think it would be character building for them ;-)

Possibly in a humpty dumpty kind of way :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There yis are. 124 pages to read now.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭scotchy

There yis are. 124 pages to read now.

Welcome:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Right then.
    I’m going to view an 87 Defender 90 this weekend.
    A years test and seems clean enough going be the pictures. It’s currently owned by an enthusiast who brought it into the country a year ago.

Any tips? Anything in particular to watch out for?

It’s not actually advertised anywhere yet. I made contact through a FB group.

Fire away Defender lovers.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Right then.
    I’m going to view an 87 Defender 90 this weekend.
    A years test and seems clean enough going be the pictures. It’s currently owned by an enthusiast who brought it into the country a year ago.

Any tips? Anything in particular to watch out for?

It’s not actually advertised anywhere yet. I made contact through a FB group.

Fire away Defender lovers.

Check the bottoms of the doors, the bulkhead, the chassis, every steel bit basically for rust. ;)

I found the biggest cost was new doors when I was restoring mine. The frames tend to rust away on them and new ones are bloody expensive.

Advertisement