Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding guest - how to get it right

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I got married last month - if someone wore white, ivory and any other similar colour, it would not have bothered me in the slightest!!!
    So long as they felt nice in what they were wearing then happy days!

So long as they didn't rock up in an actual wedding dress now haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Syndic

I think this is perfectly acceptable for a wedding. It's not white, ivory or cream which are obvious no-nos.

It's a gorgeous party dress. I would just avoid the white coat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Zara have a faux fur stole on their website in burgundy:
    https://www.zara.com/ie/en/faux-fur-stole-p03739237.html?v1=31869735&v2=1281619

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

i personally dont get the 'bride with her nose out of joint' thing over a dress. havent these women better things to be doing on their wedding day than sulking over someone elses attire?

Honestly 9/10 times it's not the actual bride, it's the brides mam or aunt or somebody else getting in a heap about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Honestly 9/10 times it's not the actual bride, it's the brides mam or aunt or somebody else getting in a heap about it.

I wouldn't have even noticed to be honest - too caught up in the day to notice what others where wearing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think it's a great dress for a wedding guest. It's fun and glamorous and looks quite comfortable, which is a bonus!
    Re possible mothers and aunties of the bride having their noses out of joint at the audacity of a guest wearing a light colour, I say, let them. There's a certain type of person in this life who will always find fault. It won't spoil their day, it'll just give them something to bitch about, so in a way you're doing a public service by potentially saving someone else from their venom!
    Re a coat or jacket, I'd suggest a belted cape jacket if you can find the like - firstly because they look so elegant and would suit the style of the dress, and secondly because you might struggle with the batwing sleeve under a regular jacket or coat (extra volume around the upper sleeve, so you could end up with creasing of the dress or a bit of discomfort).
    Enjoy the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

All in all OP, I would advise you to completely ignore the 'Oh if she wore it to my wedding I would be questioning' brigade.

I have had the misfortune of sitting beside such people now and again at weddings. Some folk (without wanting to make it a gender issue, it does tend to be women more often than not ...) like nothing more that a good bitch all the way through the whole wedding. I'm guessing that this class of person is probably just the same outside of a wedding setting, so off with them.

Wear it and enjoy the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

It's hard for me to describe the color cause it looks the exact same on my phone like it does in person. It's not gold-ish. I think because it's a natural sequence it's hard to describe.

No one in person who saw it has told me it's not a wedding guest dress, and it never came into my head. They literally gushed about it.

The opinion with one lady, with a fairly good eye, who I feel always gets it right, was all for it.

I think I'll forget about a jacket a get a faux fur wrap.

Can anyone recommend a website or shop? Iv checked river island, ASOS, Amazon, Virgo boutique (was a nice red one but not the right shade) and Debahames. No luck so far!

Just to clarify- you do know that people are saying that it’s too pale means it could be mistaken for the wedding dress. It’s not because they think something pale won’t look nice.
    You have paid over a hundred euro for it and paid to get it altered.
    The bride has probably paid over €1000 for her dress and has been going to fittings for months, the idea of not wearing a white / off white dress is to not detract from the brides.
    It shows respect to the bride and groom who have invited you to their special day.
    Maybe the bride couldn’t care less what you wear, but maybe she will - does that bother you?
    Maybe no other guests will notice your dress or think that it looks bridal, but most likely some will. Does that bother you?
    Whenever I see someone wearing white or similar to a wedding I always think they are attention seekers or don’t like the bride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Just to clarify- you do know that people are saying that it’s too pale means it could be mistaken for the wedding dress. It’s not because they think something pale won’t look nice.
    You have paid over a hundred euro for it and paid to get it altered.
    The bride has probably paid over €1000 for her dress and has been going to fittings for months, the idea of not wearing a white / off white dress is to not detract from the brides.
    It shows respect to the bride and groom who have invited you to their special day.
    Maybe the bride couldn’t care less what you wear, but maybe she will - does that bother you?
    Maybe no other guests will notice your dress or think that it looks bridal, but most likely some will. Does that bother you?
    Whenever I see someone wearing white or similar to a wedding I always think they are attention seekers or don’t like the bride.

It comes across as if it bothers you....

This thread isn't about if my dress is too pale or too wedding dressy...... I'm looking for opinions to match a jacket with it.

The majority of people are on my side, I love the dress. I'm gonna wear it and can't wait to.

And I feel pretty strongly that my dress does not look like a wedding dress.

If people wanna think I'm looking for attention,I'm not gonna let it bother me cause the people that KNOW me, know I'm not. And I'm not gonna explain over the internet to strangers weather I am or not, or go into how disrespectful I'm being to the bride. I'm not being disrespectful to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you’re still looking for a fur stole or wrap, don’t discount vintage shops. If you’re in Dublin there’s a take of places you could look for something vintage that could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

FWIW OP, I don't think its bridal at all.

Yes, its a pale enough colour as it comes across on screen, but you've seen it in real life.

I'd just echo what others have said about avoiding a long white coat - thats where you could get yourself into trouble unnecessarily.

IMO there is no ban on women wearing any pale colours to weddings, which I think is nonsense.

Yes, white/off white should be avoided at all costs but I've heard posters on here on previous threads complain about every pastel colour on the basis that it *could* look lighter under a flash.

There are many components to a brides look special on the day. Most guests outfits wont have these aspects so IMO there is too much focus on colour.

I also think faux fur would be idea, and you could match it wiht a number of fur colours. If you can, maybe spend a bit on something decent that you'll wear again and again.

I got a lovely fur jacket in Avoca about 7/8 years ago now and I still wear it. I've others from Pied a Terre, DKNY, Asos.... the list goes on. I've probably got almost all shapes and sizes now so I'm confident I can always reach into my wardrobe and find something that will nicely set off any winter outfit, casual or dressy. I know some people think fur is OTT but in my experience I've found it very versatile.

https://www.asos.com/lipsy/lipsy-faux-fur-bambi-coat-in-grey/prd/13552779?clr=grey&colourWayId=16546414&SearchQuery=faux%20fur%20coat%20women

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-plush-faux-fur-maxi-coat-in-burgundy/prd/12655200?clr=burgundy&colourWayId=16479772&SearchQuery=faux%20fur%20coat%20women

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/faux-fur-coat-p01255205.html?v1=15874405&v2=1281657

Just some ideas - I wouldnt worry too much about being matchy matchy with your dress, get something that will go with your wardrobe and you'll wear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hey OP

not sure how I stumbled across this thread. This isn’t normally my area of expertise 😎

If you want a male perspective?
    I think your dress looks amazing - you obviously have great taste , and I’ve no doubt you will look fabulous in it .

Can’t believe the catty comments your getting !!!

It’s a lucky guy who gets to go with you .

Have a lovely time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it's a lovely dress - more of a party dress than a bridal dress.

A friend of mine wore a white maxi dress to my wedding with a floral pattern on it. She checked with me before the wedding - she described it to me but I didn't see it until the day - I told her I didn't care what she wore as long as she was there - and it was a lovely summery dress, not a bit bridal.

Depending on your colouring you might look a little washed out if you team it with silver sandals like the model in the pic, however you can see that her red lippy lifts it. Could you consider maybe wearing coloured shoes, bag, accessories etc to lift it? Gorgeous dress and long sleeves would be perfect for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Or maybe they’re unaware of this supposed wedding etiquette?

I’m an older Brit and had no idea that it was considered a faux pax to wear white or a pale colour to a wedding. Unless you’re wearing a big frothy white dress, you’re hardly going to be mistaken for the bride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Or maybe they’re unaware of this supposed wedding etiquette?

I’m an older Brit and had no idea that it was considered a faux pas to wear white or a pale colour to a wedding. Unless you’re wearing a big frothy white dress, you’re hardly going to be mistaken for the bride?

Its only a faux pax to wear white or cream/ivory thats very close to white.

I don't buy this nonsense about all pale colours being verboten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Got a lot of compliments on the dress, inc the bride. No issues.

Thread can be closed now.

Advertisement