Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bleeding a diesel engine - mini digger

• 27-11-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

HI,

Hoping someone can help.

Mini-digger wont start. Turning mad, and makes an attempt to start occasionally, with white smoke from exhaust all the time - but no joy. Was going okay the last time i drove it about 3 months ago, although not as lively as usual i thought.

In an attempt to get it going, I put a small Diesel tank in the cab and fed directly , thinking it may be a dirty fuel line or tank - but still the same. (Bit extreme , but thought it would be a quick fix)

See attached pictures - can anyone tell me where the best place to go bleeding / opening pipes? Would it be where I have the red circles, or the green circles?

And where is the bleeding screw? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I would start at that bolt on the pump where the black and green hose are connected. Pump the lift pump till there are no bubbles there. Looking at that, it seems the hyd. pump is on the left and the radiator is on the right, I would crack the first injector nearest the radiator and crank it. More than likely you would need to close it and then move on the the next and the next one at a time.

Also, the cold will be an issue that won't help so be sure you give it a pre heat. More than likely that is activated by holding ignition key to the left for 5/6 seconds before starting or it may have it's own button somewhere. Don't do the dog on this either, i.e. multiple times or for much longer than 5/6 seconds.
    Have your battery charger or leads nearby too because you are weakening your battery with all this trying to get it going and as it hasn't been running the alternator has not been charging that battery.
    Let us know how it goes.

Looking at the photo, just be sure that your throttle cable isn't stuck and have it pulled a bit so at least when it;s cranking to start, it's getting more than just 'idling' level of diesel. As you said it gave some half starts I'm guessing that the other lever on that pump, the stopper, is in its' run position.

Advertisement