Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reducing video file size but maintaining quality

• 07-02-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently purchased a drone and have noticed that the file size is very large, about 700Mb/minute.

I have used Shot cut to edit and combine some videos and can export them in .webm format to reduce size and get them to about 40Mb/minute but the quality and particular colour is drastically affected.

I have noticed videos on Twitter of very high quality at about 10Mb/minute.

Is this because of the screensize which these are produced for which allows the small size and high quality?

Can anyone give any guidance on this, software, file formats, screen size etc which I should investigate?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Curious that no one has any opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably because:
    1) There's no miracle compression
    2) Its a complicated AF answer
    3) There are a million articles on the topic

700MB/Min isn't bad for raw shots. There are cameras that shoot 300MB per SECOND.

Compressing to HEVC or VP9 will get you the best compression ratios but most services don't use them yet so its kinda pointless. Webm is basically gif, forget it.

I'll guess that you're shooting 4K, I'd downsample that to 1080p30 in H264(industry standard) and tweak bitrates to suit taste. Target 10 Max 13 Mbps(small b not big B) is decent enough, for stuff like sunsets with sloping gradients you might want to go higher. If you want to export 4K you need to triple or quadruple those values.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

ED E wrote: »
    Probably because:
    1) There's no miracle compression
    2) Its a complicated AF answer
    3) There are a million articles on the topic

700MB/Min isn't bad for raw shots. There are cameras that shoot 300MB per SECOND.

Compressing to HEVC or VP9 will get you the best compression ratios but most services don't use them yet so its kinda pointless. Webm is basically gif, forget it.

I'll guess that you're shooting 4K, I'd downsample that to 1080p30 in H264(industry standard) and tweak bitrates to suit taste. Target 10 Max 13 Mbps(small b not big B) is decent enough, for stuff like sunsets with sloping gradients you might want to go higher. If you want to export 4K you need to triple or quadruple those values.

Thanks.

P.S. Boards would shut down if it only existed for that which isn't elsewhere on google.

Advertisement