Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai to travel on trains and buses to tackle anti social behaviour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

I've mixed views on this . While I rather see a transport police setup so that much needed resources aren't taken off an already stretched public service for this, it is good to see some action being taken on this increasing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

thomasj wrote: »
    I've mixed views on this . While I rather see a transport police setup so that much needed resources aren't taken off an already stretched public service for this, it is good to see some action being taken on this increasing problem

If used properly - it doesnt have to take resources off any other area tbh.

The Gardai could regularly use public transport whilst on duty. City centre for example they can move from area to area using public transport and still maintain a presence on the street.

With scumbag anti social activity - that they know that Gardai may be present will hopefully be enough to make them at least think twice.

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Likewise mixed views.

It seems to be a thing here that Gardai announce a "blitz" on speeding, drink or drug driving or whatever and after the "blitz" is over it's back to business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Likewise mixed views.

It seems to be a thing here that Gardai announce a "blitz" on speeding, drink or drug driving or whatever and after the "blitz" is over it's back to business as usual.

That's what I expect will happen here. Week or two of visibility, then back to normal.

Would agree that a seperate transport police would be a better long term solution to what is an ongoing issue across the bus/rail network.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's what I expect will happen here. Week or two of visibility, then back to normal.

Would agree that a seperate transport police would be a better long term solution to what is an ongoing issue across the bus/rail network.

It's come to a point where scumbags (aka the most vunerable in society) feel they can take the piss with transport staff and other passengers and get away with it.

I think a separate force will do little good than the existing set up with habitual scum as the velvet glove justice system, free legal aid, unending multiple convictions and the arrah shur god love them attitude will still be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Good luck to them finding a standing space on any of the evening trains out of Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Needs dedicated transport police like everywhere else. Can be plain clothed until trouble starts if needed.

It'd quickly end a lot of the trouble/inconsiderate behaviour that goes on on our public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

To me this seems similar to the issue of Gardai enforcing the rules of the road i.e. for the most part, they don't and won't.

When there's a push to create a force dedicated to policing anything the Gardai resist it and then "blitz" until the problem passes out of public attention. Then they return to the status quo.

It's not entirely unlike when Dublin Bus bus would scale up services on routes with private competition. They don't want to provide the service but they don't want anyone else doing it either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid. Need a dedicated transport police if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

It’s a start, that’s all I’m gonna say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

It’s a start but I think dedicated transport police are required long term particularly on Luas, of the previous ten trips I’ve taken on Luas I would say 7/10 there have been incidents of anti social behavior with no intervention from any security presence, I would avoid Luas all together if I had the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Calltocall wrote: »
    It’s a start but I think dedicated transport police are required long term particularly on Luas, of the previous ten trips I’ve taken on Luas I would say 7/10 there have been incidents of anti social behavior with no intervention from any security presence, I would avoid Luas all together if I had the option.

That’s what I’m hoping, If the police find themselves busy on public transport it’ll force them to have to consider a separate transport police so that they can cover there normal duties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Gardai actually doing something ???
    What a load of crap .
    What they will do is put it out in the media that they are going to be on buses and trains .
    Will we ever know how many buses and trains ??? No for operation purposes .... Blah blah blah ....
    They're the greatest waste of space in Irish society and when you look at the Catholic Church/ gaa / political parties etc etc that's saying something !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Maybe if you have free travel you should lose it if you are found guilty of anti-social behaviour...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cant imagine the Garda unions allowing a separate transport police to go ahead, suits them to have generally scumbaggery so they can mouth off about pay, the minister, pay, resources, pay, etc etc pay

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Lovely double time on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Would the idea of a dedicated transport really work in practicality. I could see a transport police working in the likes of large stations such as Hueston, Connolly and Busaras which are easier to patrol and it would be viable to have a couple of officers stationed. You could also have a few based on the DART and the Luas.

But I couldn't see it being workable for such a force to be able to respond to 999 calls that would probably have to remain in the hands of the Gardai as there would likely only be within Dublin a unit based in the city centre and outside of Dublin in larger towns and cities. For example it would be a lot quicker for local Gardai to respond to stone throwing in Jobstown than a dedicated transport police based in Connolly station at least in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Maybe if you have free travel you should lose it if you are found guilty of anti-social behaviour...?

There should be a Transit Police witth their own tribunal system, not one that can send you to prison, but can decide to ban you from public transport for a period, or for good, issue steep fines, and to cancel your tickets or passes, they can even have a DSP representative on it (if they can get over their work shy attitude at the department)

With the facial recognition software easily available in CCTV now it's easy to enforce such a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

consequences for ones actions is an axiom which does not apply to the most vulnerable in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

This a terrific news, I hope it's not a assignment that will last a few weeks and then its over for good. It should be a regular thing. Hope this makes a gang of African heritage teenagers I seen on the train a few months back roaring at other passengers to think twice before making trouble.. People were afraid to saying anything back to them incase they were accused of being "racist" or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Had uniformed Garda on my bus last week. One upstairs and one down.

Pointless IMO. How that is going to stop the brain dead morons from lobbing a brick at the window is beyond me.

Pointless IMO. How that is going to stop the brain dead morons from lobbing a brick at the window is beyond me.

What do you suggest they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Nice proactive measure. Loads of scrotes preparing for their trips to Courtown and the like. Catch a few and pull them in off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    What do you suggest they do?

Plain clothes gardai would be innovative but I suppose they are too busy falsifying stats to be bothered with enforcing the law.

To stop people causing trouble on the bus surely. I think DB should deploy security at certain times on certain routes like on the Luas not for every route just the ones where there's regular trouble like the 13, 27, 40 and 77a.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE will be launching a text service for anti social behaviour like the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

It's good to see a Garda precence on public transport, but taking Gardaí off the street is not a good idea.

It'll give more work to already overworked and underpaid Gardaí.

We should have a dedicted transport police.

I saw two Gardai on the platform of Blackrock DART Station there a few weeks ago at about 9.30 at night I think there was a match in the Aviva on the night so it may have been to do with that they boarded a northbound DART think it was my first time ever seeing Guards routinely patrolling public transport.

The ideal would be a transit police , I don't see why we can have an airport police which is basically one type of transport police, but not a full transit police.

Then have them deployed in a pattern where they can get as quick as possible to an incident reported via the text system.

That would be the best way.

Unfortunately it won't work without radical reform of our justice system. I'm honestly shocked that I'm the only one i see in political circles who brings this up, it's a major issue with the public who get red angry when they see casual suspended sentences and life not meaning life (and we've no real rehab or restorative justice system either as an alternative to custodial for non violent crime so instead just let people off). But you never hear it discussed, ever.

The third ideal part of such a system would be that for aggressive behavior on the train (or anywhere) that does not rise to the level of actual physical harm the scrotes get thrown in solitary confinement for 30 days with nothing to stare at except the walls, no tv, maybe one book at a time, an hour of exercise a day and meals brought to the cell. We can attach rehab and restorative justice measures to the end of it before the system is finished with them, then there are actual consequences. Each time you have a new offense your time doubles and you lose privileges. Second time you lose even the book to distract yourself. Third time it's 2 meals a day instead of 3. Fourth time it's one. Fifth time your hour of exercise is 30 minutes.

These scrotes laugh at the system because it's become so normal to them, they are not afraid of it anymore, they just go to a place with free room and board where they don't have to work and get to use a gym and play games and read and hang out...if we changed that, and made them face their victims through restorative justice it would mean actual consequences which might make them hesitate the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

gozunda wrote: »

The Gardai could regularly use public transport whilst on duty. City centre for example they can move from area to area using public transport and still maintain a presence on the street.

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Not just while ON duty though, Garda could kill a lot of birds with one stone here. In Germany I believe police in uniform can travel free on P/T so gardai on the way to or from work in stations could use P/T and solve the double parking issues at Pearse and Kevin Street;)

Then on-duty Gardai monitoring anti-social behaviour could also monitor mobile phone use in cars as some UK forces do from buses. you're up high and view is good.

So all in all a great idea if actually implemented, just struck me I've never seen an identifiable garda on a bus or train.

Advertisement