Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guards continously calling to new property

• 08-04-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hi we moved into a property at Christmas

Unknown to us the previous occupants were unsavoury characters

So far we have had the house raided. We are fully aware the house is being watched and a number of visits from the guards.

We have filed a complaint with the ombudsman and its still ongoing

Today again the guards that called have confirmed to
    me that Intel reports are not being updated

Any ideas on what we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Did they have a valid warrant upon the raid? I'm not a legal eagle, but even if they were in possession of a warrant and didn't do their due diligence as to who was residing in the house at the time - that's a fairly serious infringement of your rights. I'd be contacting a solicitor to see what his/her opinion would be on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Yurt! wrote: »
    Did they have a valid warrant upon the raid? I'm not a legal eagle, but even if they were in possession of a warrant and didn't do their due diligence as to who was residing in the house at the time - that's a fairly serious infringement of your rights. I'd be contacting a solicitor to see what his/her opinion would be on the matter.

They did have a warrant and its fairly obvious from Equipment etc that they had with them that the door would have been put in only it was wide open.

This morning they confirmed to me that Intel reports etc had not been updated to say we were the occupants

It's crazy and such a waste of resources

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

padd b1975 wrote:
    Really undignified from her mother and sister.

Speak to a solicitor immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

'Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted', springs to mind.
    Did you talk to any of the neighbours. How often was the house raided when the skangers actually lived there. There's obviously a complete lack of joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Yurt! wrote: »

Man up the road from me was wrongly raided a few years ago. Case only came to court lately. He got 28k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would go and see the super. Write to them and look for a meeting if you can’t get a meeting by walking in to the public office of the station. Sort it out with him/her. Bring someone along who is on your side but a bit more emotionally detached than yourself if you can. If that doesn’t work go up the line. Write letters and look for meetings. After the meetings write down what was said.

The problem with going the ombudsman route is that they may then try to avoid dealing with your complaint through the chain of command. If you get bounced on this basis say that this matter is separate to your previous complaint and that this is a complaint about the collection and compilation of intel, not the raid itself.

There are a number of technical legal routes you can go here but they may be very slow as means to achieve your objective.

I would go and see the super. Write to them and look for a meeting if you can’t get a meeting by walking in to the public office of the station. Sort it out with him/her. Bring someone along who is on your side but a bit more emotionally detached than yourself if you can. If that doesn’t work go up the line. Write letters and look for meetings. After the meetings write down what was said.

The problem with going the ombudsman route is that they may then try to avoid dealing with your complaint through the chain of command. If you get bounced on this basis say that this matter is separate to your previous complaint and that this is a complaint about the collection and compilation of intel, not the raid itself.

There are a number of technical legal routes you can go here but they may be very slow as means to achieve your objective.

Thanks i am waiting on a callback from the super. Honestly I want it to stop. I'm terrified as to what the neighbours think.

I suffer severe anxiety and our son has Autism and ADHD. Thankfully he wasn't here the first time but he was this morning. It's becoming quite distressing now. What happens if I'm not here with the door open. Will they break it in

adam88 wrote: »
    Man up the road from me was wrongly raided a few years ago. Case only came to court lately. He got 28k

I don't want any money I just want it to stop.

emeldc wrote: »
    'Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted', springs to mind.
    Did you talk to any of the neighbours. How often was the house raided when the skangers actually lived there. There's obviously a complete lack of joined up thinking.

Right now I'm too embarrassed to go near them. My husband is going to speak to them at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would be going down to the local station and filing a report and get a pulse number.
    Do not leave without and ask to speak to the sergeant.

Go in and be polite and calm, do not get snappy or excited and just explain how upset you all are and worried it's going to keep happening.

Explain your son has difficulties and you fear this could ruin how far he has come along etc.

I would be going down right away.

Still following up on super also.

You need to send a letter

• Advertisement

Right now I'm too embarrassed to go near them. My husband is going to speak to them at the weekend

Do not leave for a whole week. Honestly needs sorting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So that you can get raided again? Pop down to the station tomorrow.

the_syco wrote: »

I am sure it must be distressing but yes you really need to go right away. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You are just trying to protect your family.

Most Garda stations are open until late so I would get down there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

the_syco wrote: »
    I am sure it must be distressing but yes you really need to go right away. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You are just trying to protect your family.

Most Garda stations are open until late so I would get down there.

She was replying to a post which asked "Did you talk to any of the neighbours."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope the gaff was cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Would the local TD be worth chatting to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭endainoz

Panthro wrote:
    Would the local TD be worth chatting to?

Yeah surely, local elections on the way. I'd say they would jump at it to get coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

The ombudsman will, in a nutshell, take ages and end up doing absolutely nothing. And the cops themselves don't like when you complain to the ombudsman and will be less sympathetic to you in future. It's unfair and wrong but that is how dealing with the gardai is in general, they get a kick out of inconveniencing people and it's never down to their own incompetence, oh no, never.

You're best bet is to speak to whoever is in charge at the station and explain how distressing it is to your son. But you'll have to be nice as pie about it or the grunt behind the counter will dig their heels in and give you the runaround. Be prepared for them to ask if you were related or known to the previous occupants and all kinds of nonsense as they try to make out that they're investigating Pablo Escobar or something.

The ombudsman will, in a nutshell, take ages and end up doing absolutely nothing. And the cops themselves don't like when you complain to the ombudsman and will be less sympathetic to you in future. It's unfair and wrong but that is how dealing with the gardai is in general, they get a kick out of inconveniencing people and it's never down to their own incompetence, oh no, never.

You're best bet is to speak to whoever is in charge at the station and explain how distressing it is to your son. But you'll have to be nice as pie about it or the grunt behind the counter will dig their heels in and give you the runaround. Be prepared for them to ask if you were related or known to the previous occupants and all kinds of nonsense as they try to make out that they're investigating Pablo Escobar or something.

Yes. Don’t be surprised if the seniors back the juniors while you’re in the room. But it doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t going to get a bollocking once you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

I would have thought the ombudsman would look into something like this fairly quickly....is that not their job?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. It's 2 diffe2diviaions as we are on the boarders.

I've spoken to the chief supers clerk this morning and they are coming back to me today.

Ii also have a complaint in via the ombudsman.

Imo at this stage there is something else going on.

Why wasnt the incorrect raid on the system? Are they trying to cover up that they didn't bother checking first

If it's not the guards pulling up outside my house all the time who is it and are we actually safe here

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Thanks everyone. It's 2 diffe2diviaions as we are on the boarders.

I've spoken to the chief supers clerk this morning and they are coming back to me today.

Ii also have a complaint in via the ombudsman.

Imo at this stage there is something else going on.

Why wasnt the incorrect raid on the system? Are they trying to cover up that they didn't bother checking first

If it's not the guards pulling up outside my house all the time who is it and are we actually safe here

If I where you I would have CCTV installed. If it is the guards then you have a record of them showing up. If its not the guards....also for the same reason. Not to scare you but if illegal things where going on in that house (like drug dealing), could it be past customers.

ClubDead wrote: »
    If I where you I would have CCTV installed. If it is the guards then you have a record of them showing up. If its not the guards....also for the same reason. Not to scare you but if illegal things where going on in that house (like drug dealing), could it be past customers.

That's what I'm now worried about. I have a meeting with the super of Friday evening. Could have been this evening but we have a hospital appt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Fight them , defend your family and home.

If they are carrying out raids regularly against former tenants its time to start stopping them.

I wouldn't let them into my home without an extreme fight to the end if I were in your shoes. You should consider going to the media about it too , that will certainly get the local Super Intendants attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

It's amazing Sean Fitzpatrick bankrupted the country and he had the Gardai protecting him. Anytime they called on him it was he was always given loads of notice...The law in this country works in very strange ways.

jetsonx wrote: »
    It's amazing Sean Fitzpatrick bankrupted the country and he had the Gardai protecting him. Anytime they called on him it was he was always given loads of notice...The law in this country works in very strange ways.

He wasn't dealing drugs or whatever else these are up to. But I do hear you as he is a absolute horrible man

Right spoke with the super and the guards won't be calling again however as one of the pp's suggested it wasn't the Gardaí pulling up outside its flipping junkies

One clearly desperate called in today with my disabled 10 year old here.

I know need to invest in some good quality affordable cctv.

Any suggestions please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

I know need to invest in some good quality affordable cctv.

Any suggestions please

The folks on the home security forum are really knowledgeable and very helpful so I'd suggest posting over there. Hope you get sorted

Caranica wrote: »
    The folks on the home security forum are really knowledgeable and very helpful so I'd suggest posting over there. Hope you get sorted

Thanks i didn't know there was a forum for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Advertisement