Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LPT for new owner

• 10-12-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction because Google is failing me. I've recently bought a house and as part of the purchase we paid back the previous owner the balance of the LPT for our portion of 2018, all done through the solicitor.

Now I'm just wondering with January fast approaching what we're meant to do about the LPT for 2019. Do we get a bill from Revenue or do we need to do something our side? Do we need to get the house valued or is it based off what we paid for the house? Do we need to know what the previous owner had valued the property at?

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LPT for the year generally doesn't fall due till April or May (forget the date).

Revenue will usually send you a letter at the start of 2019 with your details to login and pay it. This will include the current valuation basis;

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/what-to-do-in-2019/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The 2019 bill will be the same as the 2018 bill, unless the LA chooses to use its discretion, and increase or decrease the LPT.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/valuing-your-property/has-your-local-authority-rate-changed.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

seamus wrote: »
    LPT for the year generally doesn't fall due till April or May (forget the date).

Overview

If you are the owner of a residential property on:

1 May 2013, you are liable for Local Property Tax (LPT) for 2013
    1 November 2013, you are liable for LPT for 2014 and so on for each year.

The liability date for LPT is 1 November each year. If you are the liable person for the property on 1 November, then you must pay LPT for the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

We're the owner's since before November alright so we're responsible for 2019. I don't have a property ID (that I know of at least), to do anything with the revenue online service so I presume at this point I just wait for the bill to come in the post or call revenue for the property ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

We're the owner's since before November alright so we're responsible for 2019. I don't have a property ID (that I know of at least), to do anything with the revenue online service so I presume at this point I just wait for the bill to come in the post or call revenue for the property ID.

My experience: a few weeks after the transaction was completed the property showed up on the revenue website without me having to do anything (I guess when our solicitor registered the transaction). And from there I can see the property ID and LTP information. I also got a letter from revenue a few weeks ago to tell me I am liable for LTP. I guess what’s happening is that with the few weeks lag after the transaction for revenue to be informed about your ownership and update their systems, you couldn’t be included in the batch of letters and still can’t see the property online, but likely will see it soon have have the option to pay the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Great thanks everyone for your help

Advertisement