Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belarmine Woods, Stepaside - Megathread

• 15-03-2015 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Has anyone heard anything on what appears to be a new phase of Belarmine estate being launched soon?
    Any opinions please on the area and the developer (Castlethorn Developers).

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Live in the area, in an apartment.

Can't really fault it (bar the semi reliable 47 bus service), would love to buy a house in the area but suspect the prices may be steep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Live in the area, in an apartment.

Can't really fault it (bar the semi reliable 47 bus service), would love to buy a house in the area but suspect the prices may be steep :(

Thanks.
    How do you find the quality of the build?
    We viewed a house last week in Belarmine and were a little put off by the lack of parking (the house has no allocated parking space, it is up to you to find the spot around. Not good.)
    It would be interesting to know what is the situation with the car parking spaces in the new development, particularly with the new road access to the nearby school along the estate (hence the parents dropping the kids off parking within the neighbourhood).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

do you know where these new houses are in relation to the rest of the estate?

Looking on google maps there isn't any clear construction work going on other than in Belmont.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

do you know where these new houses are in relation to the rest of the estate?

Looking on google maps there isn't any clear construction work going on other than in Belmont.

They are behind Belarmine Place, along the Kilgobbin Lane side. They used be training pitches for the local rugby club.

Does anyone know if there will be an entrance to access the new development from Kilgobbin Road or will the extra traffic have to use the existing Belarmine or Aikens Village entrances?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MayBea wrote: »
    Thanks.
    How do you find the quality of the build?
    We viewed a house last week in Belarmine and were a little put off by the lack of parking (the house has no allocated parking space, it is up to you to find the spot around. Not good.)
    It would be interesting to know what is the situation with the car parking spaces in the new development, particularly with the new road access to the nearby school along the estate (hence the parents dropping the kids off parking within the neighbourhood).

From the point of the existing apartments (I'm renting one), as with most "new-ish" places the sound insulation is pretty poor. I can hear everything upstairs for example (no lie-in for me on a Sunday when their kids start running around the place at half 8! :()

Parking is indeed on a first come first serve basis - supposedly for residents but I've yet to see any clamping or patrols (there was a van that looked abandoned for months - flat tires etc - before it finally disappeared one day). I can't say I've ever had a problem (just my own car though) beyond having to park the next row down.. a recent annoyance in my part of the estate is people who live across street parking on our side because their spots are a little steeper than the ones outside my place.. stuff like that.

I'd be amazed if they did anything about access roads. It's pretty bad in the mornings from about 7:45/8.. also it can be dodgy in icy/wintery weather as the entire thing is on a steep enough slope (there were cars abandoned all around the entrances during the "Snow Wednesday" we had last month)

As someone else said, the bus service isn't great and no direct access from it to Dundrum SC or Leopardstown SC.. much walking will be required unless you drive!

It is a fairly quiet area but I've heard talk of an increase in burglaries since the Garda station was closed - a neighbour also had his car robbed from outside the door a few months back as well - but that's a problem everywhere.

Would I buy if it were my own money? Probably not... sure it's quiet but it's a bit cut-off unless you drive or like walking everywhere, and traffic around the area gets pretty bad during rush hour what with it being so close to the Industrial Estate in Sandyford. It's a nice place yes, but nothing special IMO - but then I feel that way about most of the famed SCD area to be fair! :)

• Advertisement

They are behind Belarmine Place, along the Kilgobbin Lane side. They used be training pitches for the local rugby club.

Does anyone know if there will be an entrance to access the new development from Kilgobbin Road or will the extra traffic have to use the existing Belarmine or Aikens Village entrances?
    An extract from the planning application :
    "Vehicular access into the proposed development will be made at two locations on Belarmine Vale and Belarmine Way. Both these roads connect to Belarmine Avenue which is a local distributor road...The Belarmine Vale Junction will serve the northern half of the proposed development while the Belarmine Way Junction will serve the souther half. The proposed estate road layout will not make it possible for a vehicle to drive from Belarmine to Belarmine Vale."

There is only a pedestrian access and a cycle path to Kilgobbin Lane.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    From the point of the existing apartments (I'm renting one), as with most "new-ish" places the sound insulation is pretty poor. I can hear everything upstairs for example (no lie-in for me on a Sunday when their kids start running around the place at half 8! :()

Parking is indeed on a first come first serve basis - supposedly for residents but I've yet to see any clamping or patrols (there was a van that looked abandoned for months - flat tires etc - before it finally disappeared one day). I can't say I've ever had a problem (just my own car though) beyond having to park the next row down.. a recent annoyance in my part of the estate is people who live across street parking on our side because their spots are a little steeper than the ones outside my place.. stuff like that.

I'd be amazed if they did anything about access roads. It's pretty bad in the mornings from about 7:45/8.. also it can be dodgy in icy/wintery weather as the entire thing is on a steep enough slope (there were cars abandoned all around the entrances during the "Snow Wednesday" we had last month)

As someone else said, the bus service isn't great and no direct access from it to Dundrum SC or Leopardstown SC.. much walking will be required unless you drive!

It is a fairly quiet area but I've heard talk of an increase in burglaries since the Garda station was closed - a neighbour also had his car robbed from outside the door a few months back as well - but that's a problem everywhere.

Would I buy if it were my own money? Probably not... sure it's quiet but it's a bit cut-off unless you drive or like walking everywhere, and traffic around the area gets pretty bad during rush hour what with it being so close to the Industrial Estate in Sandyford. It's a nice place yes, but nothing special IMO - but then I feel that way about most of the famed SCD area to be fair! :)

Thanks for the input, Kaiser! A very well detailed feedback.
    I'm now wondering what's going to be the price for a "nice place yes, but nothing special".. :)

"Vehicular access into the proposed development will be made at two locations on Belarmine Vale and Belarmine Way. Both these roads connect to Belarmine Avenue which is a local distributor road...The Belarmine Vale Junction will serve the northern half of the proposed development while the Belarmine Way Junction will serve the souther half. The proposed estate road layout will not make it possible for a vehicle to drive from Belarmine to Belarmine Vale."

I'm talking about an exit onto Kilgobbin Road, not Kilgobbin Lane.

They really need an extra exit from the new developlment onto Kilgobbin Road. The road from Belarmine Way to Belarmine Park is too small and narrow as is.

I'm talking about an exit onto Kilgobbin Road, not Kilgobbin Lane.

They really need an extra exit from the new developlment onto Kilgobbin Road. The road from Belarmine Way to Belarmine Park is too small and narrow as is.

Well, I agree but it seems like there won't be an exit to Kilgobbin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Will these be proper 3 and 4 bed semis, or townhouse type apartment style houses similiar to those already in belarmine?

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to the planning application please?

Will these be proper 3 and 4 bed semis, or townhouse type apartment style houses similiar to those already in belarmine?

Most of them are semi-Ds: 93 out of 126 are either detached or semi-d, the rest are terraced. I was speaking to SherriFitz, the first phase is likely to comprise 20 houses.
    The application number is D13A/0462.

Most of them are semi-Ds: 93 out of 126 are either detached or semi-d, the rest are terraced. I was speaking to SherriFitz, the first phase is likely to comprise 20 houses.
    The application number is D13A/0462.

interesting. did they say when they would be launching or give any indication of potential prices?

interesting. did they say when they would be launching or give any indication of potential prices?
    The showhouses are expected to be ready in early Summer 2015, no prices indication at this stage.
    I was having a nose around, looks like two houses are nearly finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Going on what the Belmont development prices you'd most likely be looking at 450k upwards, possibly more. You have to remember that you're paying for the postcode in Belarmine. The area is reasonably nice the bus route isn't incredible but you are within walking distance of the Luas at Glencairn. As mentioned before the main road is on a very steep incline so when the wintry weather arrives (and it will more frequently than lower lying areas of Dublin) it becomes extremely hazardous, buses were towed off of it in recent snow and locals who were present in 2010 all park on the enniskerry road in anticipation of snow.

You will encounter random groups of bored adolescents around the shops and playground but anti social behavior isn't really an issue. There were rumors of the parcel of land between Aikens village and the Parkview apartments being developed as a traveller site but I would imagine it's more likely to be developed into standard residential property considering the potential for developers to make a quick buck in the area.

Overall it is a nice place to live but at times it does feel a little over developed and you will be living at close quarters with your neighbours and issues regarding parking seem to be live in every part of the development. During the hot summer of 2013 there were a lot of new babies on our street, with the oppressive heat, living so close to our neighbours and the constant cries and screams of infants it felt a bit like living in an upscale tenement of sorts. Would I spend my money on a house in the area? Considering that you could purchase a house in an established close by area for similar money without all the draw backs listed above, probably not.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Poppy203

Regarding timelines for Belarmine Woods-I spoke with sherry fitz today. Looks like it will be coming online July/August with a move in time of about Chistmas. There will be 20 houses released to begin with and the agent suspects prices will be late 300s - early 400s for the three beds. Belmont looks like it will be later. Huge interest in both developments apparently.

Viewings have started today on the showhomes. No sign of prices.

They're launching over 40 houses, here are the prices attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 p1605

I was there yesterday very busy and long waits to put a deposit down. Most sold by 7pm. Great size houses for the price compared to Belmont, finish was also much better. Only downfall is a lot of the houses are built on a slope therefore your garden will be on a slope.

Does anyone know anything about plans to build a secondary school directly behind (west) the development? Has planning been approved?

p1605 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about plans to build a secondary school directly behind (west) the development? Has planning been approved?

Not heard about that but they'd need to look at adding a few new routes in and out of the estate if they are going to do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 p1605

Not heard about that but they'd need to look at adding a few new routes in and out of the estate if they are going to do that!

Definitely traffic will already be a nightmare with 94 new houses and all the future Belmont houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

p1605 wrote: »
    As far as I know it's actually for another primary school (yes - right next to the Gael scoil that's also a primary school - go figure!).

Anyone end up buying here? Was up the today - houses look great - nice big open plan living areas - far better than some of the shi*e that's launched in the area recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭JustaGO

Anyone buying in Belarmin Woods in Stepaside?
    Have anyone singed a contract for the phase 1 yet?
    I have so many questions but dont seem to be able to get any answers from SherryFitz or the builder. Did you guys get plans/measurments of specific rooms included in the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ginann

Hi Justago, we have decided to buy in Belarmine Woods too. We received the contracts 12 days ago but the solicitor only got the folios the other day. We haven't got the plans for the house or the specs yet and I wouldn't feel happy signing until we get these.

What questions do you have to ask? Wondering if there's something I'm missing!

Hi,

We are in the same boat. We have received the contract but no specification nothing and not happy to sign anything until it states exactly what are we buying.
    We had lots of technical questions re type of insulation, boiler, recuparator (wondering about the noise it makes).
    What type of house are you buying. Are you to move in this November/December? If that is still the target.
    We picked Palmerston and there is no show house so we were asking if it is possible to see one of them just built ones to see the size,layout in real life and not just off plans. We got no confirmation about garden size either.

What level of snagging is included? But mainly would like the contract to contain the size od the property and the rooms if possible. What is the house build off and what companies /brands are used to confirm the quality etc.

ct_roy wrote: »
    As far as I know it's actually for another primary school (yes - right next to the Gael scoil that's also a primary school - go figure!).

Interesting, as it's specified as a secondary school on the planning permission for Belarmine Woods.
    I heard rumours about this to be an Educate Together school, can anyone shed some light on it?

We are down for one of the other 3 beds and it's not due to be completed until next Mar/Apr. We are eager to get the plans and specs too. Our solicitor is away this week so we haven't heard anything. We have been sent a map showing the plot where the house will be built that's about it. If you hear or receive anything could you let me know and I'll do the same.

Will do. Thanks
    Ours not to be ready till next year either..
    Are you going tomorrow to pick the pain,tiles,kitchen etc?

As far as I'm aware it's the site for Stepaside Educate Together National school. I checked their website and it confirms that the site is the national school's permanent site but the secondary school will share it until they get their permanent site.

• Advertisement

ginann wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware it's the site for Stepaside Educate Together National school. I checked their website and it confirms that the site is the national school's permanent site but the secondary school will share it until they get their permanent site.

Thanks, a very good news indeed. When are they going to start building it, I wonder?
    This might add traffic issues for the northern part of the development , I guess.

Advertisement