Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling house/booking deposit

• 15-01-2015 10:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hello guys,

I'm in the process of selling my house & a booking deposit has been secured from the potential purchaser.

Contracts are yet to be signed though but I was wondering when they are signed, do I get the booking deposit minus his fee from the auctioneer directly or does he give it to my solicitor minus his fee or is their another way. Also does he usually do this by bank transfer or another method, bank draft.

Thanks for any replies in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Guys, could anyone help with the above please? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

This post has been deleted.

Well I'd prefer to ask someone in here as I'm sure there are many posters that have sold properties in here that could help. Thats why I was asking in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

From selling my own house, when everything is done and sale completed the solicitor will "settle" the account. Meaning if you owe him money they send you a bill, and then if they owe you money thy send you a check. This is my own personal experience, it may differ between practices. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Generally the agent will take their fee from the booking deposit and then send the balance by cheque to the vendor solicitor in advance of closing for the solicitor to then settle all the monies on closing.

However if you request you can have this cheque made out to you instead, just let the estate agents know a good bit in advance. Their admin or accounts dept will generally start doing this up about two weeks before closing date so if you want it made out to you they may have to cancel and reissue a cheque which will take a little longer but no problem to do.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

foleypio wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I'm in the process of selling my house & a booking deposit has been secured from the potential purchaser.

Contracts are yet to be signed though but I was wondering when they are signed, do I get the booking deposit minus his fee from the auctioneer directly or does he give it to my solicitor minus his fee or is their another way. Also does he usually do this by bank transfer or another method, bank draft.

Thanks for any replies in advance

You don't get anything until the keys are handed over. All funds will be handled by the solicitor. When all funds are received - booking deposit (less EA fee) + remainder of 10% deposit + balance of house price, your solicitor will pay the disbursements due which are generally: his fees, any extra due to EA, mortgage balance and whatever is left over goes to you. Your solicitor will send you a statement showing the flow of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    However if you request you can have this cheque made out to you instead, just let the estate agents know a good bit in advance. Their admin or accounts dept will generally start doing this up about two weeks before closing date so if you want it made out to you they may have to cancel and reissue a cheque which will take a little longer but no problem to do.

:)

I guess you could do that but the EA won't pay any balance of deposit before closing so not sure what advantage there is to letting solicitor handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

In my experience from previously working for a couple of chains the default was to in advance of closing do up the account to take fees and agreed marketing outlays (if not paid in advance) and then send the balance by cheque to the solicitor with a full breakdown of costs.
    This is ready for sending in the post upon day of closing. The odd time the vendor would have advised this cheque to be sent directly to them instead of solicitor.
    My observation is it just seemed easier for the solicitor to handle everything.

Advertisement