Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Translation from English to Irish for a tattoo

• 14-01-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

I would like to get a tattoo in Irish Gaelic that says : 'Live, don't regret'.
    Can someone help me translate that phrase into Irish?

Thanks a mil in advance ;)

Etcpub

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You'll get more comprehensive answers on the Irish Learner forums, especially in their Translations board.

Literal translation: "Mair, ná bíodh aiféala ort."

You'll have to put the phrase into context if you want a better translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ianoleader

i need translation for "only the good die young"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

etcpub wrote: »
    Hi All,

Etcpub

Caith do shaol gan aiféala

Live your life without regret
    ianoleader wrote: »
    i need translation for "only the good die young"

'Siad na dea-dhaoine amháin a fhaigheann bás ina n-óige

Only good people die in their youth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi All,

Etcpub

"mair gan aifeal" (fada on the e)

live without regret

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

"Beo - na bron"

is pretty catchy - broadly means "life - not sadness"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

donalh087 wrote: »
    "Beo - na bron"

is pretty catchy - broadly means "life - not sadness"

No, that'd be "Beatha - ná brón", if anything.

Yours is more along the lines of "Alive - not sadness", which doesn't really make sense.

'Siad na dea-dhaoine amháin a fhaigheann bás ina n-óige

Only good people die in their youth[/QUOTE]

i don't have that much room in my tat for that like the saying goes "only the good die young" just without the only part on my tattoo is in english saying the good die young.

going to try and post a pic of it here

i don't have that much room in my tat for that like the saying goes "only the good die young" just without the only part on my tattoo is in english saying the good die young.

Language doesn't always work the way you want it to. Translating from one tongue to another is rarely that precise, especially when it comes to languages as different as Irish and English. Some phrases just can't be reduced to so few words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Perhaps

'Siad na dea-dhaoine a éagann ina n-óige

Maybe we could lose the 'Siad na at the start aswell

Dea-dhaoine a éagann ina n-óige

Wait for confirmation

• Advertisement

Hey i was messing around online and found a translation site from english to irish so typed in the good die young and this came up an dea-óg bás how does that sound

Hey i was messing around online and found a translation site from english to irish so typed in the good die young and this came up an dea-óg bás how does that sound

That's gibberish. "Messing around on-line" for something that's going to be permanently inked into your skin isn't very clever either.

No I just wanted to get people's answers about for that reason

Thanks people for the help going to go with Dea-dhaoine a éagann ina n-óige cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Hi All,

Etcpub

Mair gan mhairg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can't see why the op doesn't use English

Can't see why the op doesn't use English

Quality contribution... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Valid enough point though, why get something inked on you permanently in a language you don't speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah i know!! It's just I sit beside a tattoo stereotype here in work....He has a chinese slogan that means something not nice due to an error reagarding an apostrophe (a chinese apostrophe) so i cringe when I see people getting tatoos in languages they do not understand...

yeah i know!! It's just I sit beside a tattoo stereotype here in work....He has a chinese slogan that means something not nice due to an error reagarding an apostrophe (a chinese apostrophe) so i cringe when I see people getting tatoos in languages they do not understand...

Good point. Apologies for my previous reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

maximoose wrote: »
    Valid enough point though, why get something inked on you permanently in a language you don't speak?

How's about the jerks folks who get a tattoo in 'Elvish'? Or worse...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

TBH, I could understand that a bit more if they are massive LOTR fans! some of those nerds folk actually speak it :pac:

Advertisement