Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Libraries

• 16-10-2010 11:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering do local libraries tend to have books such as Burke's Landed Gentry or the Complete Peerage of the House of Commons, of Johnston-Liik's History of the Irish Parliament.

I have the numbers of my local library, but obviously can't contact them until Monday (or Tuesday), so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if it's the sort of thing that they'd have, or would I be better of travelling to a university library or the NLI where they'd definitely have it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If you have a username/id number and pin you might be able to search the libraries catalogue online? I thought that the material county research libraries held was generally related to local interest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you have a username/id number and pin you might be able to search the libraries catalogue online? I thought that the material county research libraries held was generally related to local interest?

Unfortunately what I need isn't available online, so I have to physically go to a library (not that that's a bad thing, but I'm at home at the moment and really could have done without the trip to uni., hence my query re local libraries).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Some of the better libraries will have them (Such as the main county library) but by and large, no. You'll have to go to your uni library. You should be able to search the county libraries database, I'm sure reference works are included as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

Trinity College Library definitely have the full set of Burkes Peerage and Landed Gentry. Finding it in smaller libraries would probably be a bigger challenge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are you looking for an old one or current? You can buy an online subscription for the last Burkes (2003) at exacteditions. I use it for my college course work (genealogy).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I can't resist adding this to the discussion:

Oscar Wilde once said that the two greatest works that the English had produced in fiction were Burke's Peerage and the Bradshaw train timetable.

Worth considering...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Denerick wrote: »
    Some of the better libraries will have them (Such as the main county library) but by and large, no.

True. Clonmel library has both Burke's Landed Gentry and the Complete Peerage of the House of Commons

MarchDub wrote: »
    I can't resist adding this to the discussion:

Oscar Wilde once said that the two greatest works that the English had produced in fiction were Burke's Peerage and the Bradshaw train timetable.

Worth considering...

I'd actually agree with him, but when looking for a rough background on families, Burke is fine.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm actually just going to head up to college tomorrow and use the library there as it has everything I'll need - Burke, Complete Peerage, Johnston-Liik, etc.

Advertisement