Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need identification on some WWII Uniforms

Options
  • 14-10-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm currently working on my family tree and am digging my way through a huge collection of my grandmother's old photographs of her siblings and uncles. Unfortunately I have no-one to help me identify any of the uniforms in these photos.

My elderly grandmother is able to supply me with small amounts of information in some cases, but for the most part can't remember much detail. So I'm looking for your help to tell me what these uniforms could be, please.

My Grandfather, on the right, was I'm told in the RAF during WWII. I would like to have this uniform identified, and would also like to know if it is possible to pull up his service records just by having his name/address?

38c5b33a-60e0-49da-8094-6133b504a93b-0.jpg

I don't know what this uniform is or where this was taken but it would be from the 1940s I believe. Any ideas?

177cdd15-c523-4cb3-8404-ca2252536153-0.jpg

I'm told by my Grandmother that this one would've been taken during WWII and that he emigrated to the U.K.
    Does anyone know what the uniform is?

4aaa28e5-dcc2-4ff9-93fb-e671a0f73b92-1.jpg

I have no information on this one, I don't even know if it's WWII or WWI. Any ideas purely going by the uniform?

62f71510-34b6-4e1a-900c-f257ca2a8659-0.jpg

This family member lived in the U.S. That's all the information I have. I don't know when it was taken or where, but I am guessing it was mailed to our family back in Ireland in the 1940s or 50s, that's not to say it wasn't a much older photo by then though.

c4ea5698-1722-4ca4-9537-2d90b6f58189-0.jpg

This one of my grand-uncle who lived in the U.S. was taken in Korea in December 1944, and has his name and an "A.S.N. [number]" stamped on the rear. Is it possible for me to look this number up online and find out more about his time in the Army? I'm curious to know what his role was. I've done a couple of google searches but haven't been able to find somewhere that I can search the number.

1f29eab9-ddc5-4966-b627-fde4420aecfb-0.jpg

This one was taken in June 1944 and is of my grand-uncle while home on leave. He was a radio operator with the [Royal Merchant?] Navy during WWII, that is all the information I have. I know his full name and would be interested in locating information about his career. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

7621bf82-1fd2-457e-966e-9055d68a754d-0.jpg

Any help or links to sites where I could gain more information would be much appreciate, thank you.

Sorry some of these pictures are so big!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that your grandfather's photo was obviously taken at the start of his RAF career, as it looks like he was at the bottom of the heap as an "aircraftman".

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Yes ejmaztec, that would make sense. This picture would've been taken just before he departed to start serving with the RAF and I believe he was working in landing gear maintenance initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am not much use on allied uniforms but that 2nd picture seems to be american too - kind of similair to this one ;

http://www.militaria-archive.com/usa-europe/content/bing/images/large/AM_105a.jpg

This forum here
    http://www.gmic.co.uk/

has a Guests Only section where you can post questions without paying for membership. There are people there who might be better placed to answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Roc,the second uniform looks like an American uniform,it certainly looks like he's wearing an American style cap.Records aren't freely available but can be obtained.Check this site out http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html .Great photo's of your family by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Morlar wrote: »
    I am not much use on allied uniforms but that 2nd picture seems to be american too - kind of similair to this one ;

http://www.militaria-archive.com/usa-europe/content/bing/images/large/AM_105a.jpg

This forum here
    http://www.gmic.co.uk/

has a Guests Only section where you can post questions without paying for membership. There are people there who might be better placed to answer your questions.

Morlar ya beat me to it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

My 2 cents, but open to corrections:

1st one looks like RAF, I'd say that he could be a ground crew member rather than Flying personnel, that would explain the lack of 'RAF' badge /?/

2nd - deffo US Army, pitty that we don't see the badge on the side of the cap. I'm bit puzzled with those guys in the back it looks like they are playing ice hockey, but the picture is taken in early spring, as well it looks like a scyscrapers in the background, but it could be damage on the photograph.

3rd and 4th - looks like LDF uniform

5th - ? - Is it uniform at all?

6th - Looks like US Army, but doubt very much it's December '44 in Korea as US Army didn't get near it and it deasn't look like POW camp, don't know about the weather.
    It's either taken in Korea or in December 1944 somewhere in the Pacific

7th - pass this one

Thanks so much to you all for taking the time to reply so far!
    FiSe wrote: »
    My 2 cents, but open to corrections:

1st one looks like RAF, I'd say that he could be a ground crew member rather than Flying personnel, that would explain the lack of 'RAF' badge /?/

That would make sense with what my Grandmother has told me.

2nd - deffo US Army, pitty that we don't see the badge on the side of the cap. I'm bit puzzled with those guys in the back it looks like they are playing ice hockey, but the picture is taken in early spring, as well it looks like a scyscrapers in the background, but it could be damage on the photograph.

I actually didn't take note of what the people in the background were doing I was so busy looking at the people in the foreground, but I think you're right. They definitely seem to be ice skating.

5th - ? - Is it uniform at all?

6th - Looks like US Army, but doubt very much it's December '44 in Korea as US Army didn't get near it and it deasn't look like POW camp, don't know about the weather.
    It's either taken in Korea or in December 1944 somewhere in the Pacific

7th - pass this one

I'm not sure on the 5th, it almost looks like a park ranger uniform to me.

As regards the 6th, it's definitely December 1944 as that's what he's handwritten in his letter on the back, he has a specific date written so that bit should be correct.

The Korea part is likely to be at fault as this was more recently handwritten onto the card by my Grandmother, she could be confusing this information with him perhaps being stationed in Korea at a later date.

It's definitely somewhere hot so it'd be great to figure out from his A.S.N. number where his party may have been stationed at that time.

I will try posting some of these at that other forum when I get the chance later, thanks again!

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi Roc,the second uniform looks like an American uniform,it certainly looks like he's wearing an American style cap.Records aren't freely available but can be obtained.Check this site out http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html .Great photo's of your family by the way.

If I can get to the place where I have enough information to apply for records there, that'd be great. I'll have to know a bit more about these people first though I think.

All I know currently are their names and place of birth, I'm even having to guess at DOB in most cases.

It's still quite fun to go through all of these pictures that were gathering dust and try to figure out who's who!

A lesson for everyone out there - please write the name of the person and date on the backs of any photos you print, for future generations! Makes things a whole lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Hi there,
    this is a link that will give loads of info on searching U.S military records.
    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/secrecy/RS21282.pdf

In relation to U.K they have no real online feature, basically you have to visit Kew in person if you want to search. You can also hire someone to look for you.

I recently located somebody for a friend who served in the Canadian army in WW1. It was really easy all their records are searchable online by name and surname. Its a pity that its not as easy for every country..
    Enjoy the hunt.

also look at things like census etc. might give you more of a lead dont just concentrate on military records

Hi Jad2007, thanks for your response.

I'll check that out while waiting with hope that other countries will put military records up in the near future.
    Pity I don't have anyone in the Canadian military!

I've gone through all the census records but most of these people aren't in them, some of the WWII ones weren't born for the 1911 census, and others were I guess away with the Army/Force so missed out on being there for the census.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

The lad in photo 3 appears to be wearinga white lanyard which would make him a member of the Royal Artillery.

British WW2 records are still held by the Ministry of Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Curiousgal

Hi ROC,

I've been using a book called "Family Photographs and How to Date Them" by identifying the clothes in them by Jayne Shrimpton. She recommends another book specifically aimed at identifying army uniforms:

"From Scarlet to Khaki" by Jon Mills (Wardens Publishing, 2005).

It also says:
    "For help with uniform identification, Jon can be contacted by telephone: 01 689 828619 or email: cdwardens@yahoo.co.uk"

He might be able to help you further - good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Picture 7

Standard Merchant Navy uniform, he probably worked for Marconi

Advertisement