Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting issue on the repair of Tumble Dryer

Options
  • 16-12-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

Started a new lease recently (6 weeks).
    Have a dual washing maching / tumble dryer.
    Have made several attempts to get it to dry clothes but to no avail.
    Read the manual and made sure I was doing everything correctly.

So rang the management agency - who sent a workman. Within 5 mins he said the heating element was gone - so at least I wasn't imagining it!

Anyway he'll report to landlord and said "up to the landlord to decide to replace it". He's actual words got me thinking as I would have thought that there were be no issue and something like this should be repaired at cost to the landlord.
    Haven't heard back yet - so no decision has been made.
    Still I'm just preparing myself for the event that he refuses.

The apartment was advertised with a tumble dryer. And as you can read - it did not work day one when we moved in.

Does anyone have a similiar experience?
    I'll read the lease later this evening and see if there is any mention of replacing "white goods".
    Still would like to here some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

As it was there when you viewed and moved into the flat, I would say it is definitely up to the landlord to replace with similar. I believe it is even the law to hsave somewhere to dry clothes, but I can't look it up right now.

Only issue I could see if landlord is shadey, he may claim you broke it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

i would probably look at it as its up to the landlord to decide if he's going to fix it or replace it. nothing too shady im my opinion. They might have had issue with it before and this might be what he ment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I wouldnt worry about it. The landlord is obliged to provide means of drying clothes, and if you do not have private back yard to hang clothes out in that means a tumble dryer. By not fixing the dryer the landlord is in breach of the lease and you entitled to walk; dont be afraid to bring that up if they start getting sticky. As said above tho I wouldnt imagine it will be too much of an issue. Also, I doubt even if they wanted to they would be able to come up with too compelling an arguement to try and claim that you broke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

This does not come under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 but is the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 and the 2009 Amendement.

(2) (g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, and
    (h) Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type) or access to a communal dryer facility.

(3) All facilities under sub-article (2) shall be maintained in good working order and good repair.
    (4) Responsibility for maintenance of facilities under sub-article (2) shall rest with the landlord.

Irrespective of (2) (h) above, if the property had a dryer at the start of the tenancy, the landlord is obliged to maintain it in a proper working order.

Write to the landlord (and keep a copy in case there is a dispute at a later date - you never know) and inform him of the non-working appliance. Suggest a reasonable time period for the repairing or replacement of the appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

Just an update.
    Landlord approved the fixing of the tumble dryer and it eventually got fix.
    Took sometime for the repair guy to call out though....

But a good ending :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement