Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movies based on games

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do not disagree but it was specifically called out as being terrible.

I thought that it showed promise, for a franchise, to be honest. Weak but had potential

It did the classic mistake of being so focused on setting up a sequel, and wasting time getting Lara to the point of recognition, it forgot to tell a good story on the way. For such obvious cribbing from Indiana Jones, it didn't seem to take note that Raiders... didn't spend 3/4s of its running time on Indy ... I dunno, learning to use a whip.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It did the classic mistake of being so focused on setting up a sequel, and wasting time getting Lara to the point of recognition, it forgot to tell a good story on the way. For such obvious cribbing from Indiana Jones, it didn't seem to take note that Raiders... didn't spend 3/4s of its running time on Indy ... I dunno, learning to use a whip.

All true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »

One film that's failed to be mentioned so far is a CG adaptation of Dragon Quest V. I think this one could turn out to be good as the source material lends itself well to an animated feature. It's also got one of the best stories written for a videogame, it's a great character arc with a lot of emotional highs and lows.

Too niche and too old to connect with the masses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    Too niche and too old to connect with the masses

True. But it also might have a chance of actually being good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

TV show idea does stand up , look at the recent castlevania animated netflix show , no way could you do that justice in a film , would love to see a proper resident evil film based on the early games you could easily do a 10-13 episode season on the 1st game alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If going with animated, the Street Fighter movie.
    If going with Japanese, I hear the Ace Attorney movie is good.

Mortal Kombat was really enjoyable and, of course, great theme song. "MORTAL KOMBAT!"
    Sequel was really bad with Sonya just moaning about Johnny the whole time. The web series was decent. The tv series was just cheesy

I liked the Silent Hill film, having not played the game.
    I can rewatch the first Resident Evil film repeatedly.

Rewatched the first Tomb Raider recently and it doesn't take itself too seriously. Not great though. Can't remember the second.
    The new one wasn't great. Too much didn't make sense or just took leaps in logic. Like the big door puzzle which I saw no reason for her being able to solve other than she has solved puzzles that weren't the same as a kid.

One day I'll watch the Double Dragon film I have on dvd.

I would have no problem rewatching Super Mario Bros if it was on and nothing better to do.

Rampage was grand.

I really liked Prince of Persia.

Doom wasn't very good.

Max Payne was weird. I haven't played those games.

Vague recollection of Hitman being ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The first hitman movie, with Timothy Olyphant, was good enough I thought. The new one with Rupert Friend is bad, really bad.

Max Payne could have been good but the cast didn't work for me. Mark Wahlberg could not pull off grieving, enraged and burned out the way Max Payne is presented in the games, didn't even come close.

Doom was fun, and they gave the BFG it's PG13 name!

I'm always surprised they never did anything with the Syphon Filter series, that had a lot of potential for a movie or TV series I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just on Hitman, I'd love to see it become an Netflix style tv show with each episode tracking a new target in a different location. Would certainly suit it rather than another massacre of one of my favourite game series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Wonder what the chances of BJ Blazkowics getting his own movie one day are? (Overlord does not count!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ummm noone has posted the MK legacy series on steam (its free)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/361700/Mortal_Kombat_Legacy/

Or they have and I missed it.

2nd season killed so enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ummm noone has posted the MK legacy series on steam (its free)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/361700/Mortal_Kombat_Legacy/

Or they have and I missed it.

2nd season killed so enjoy.

I had forgotten about that (considering season 2 came out in 2013!), but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed nearly every episode on this. Sicked to hear about season 3, even though it may still happen as apparently it's all shot, just that Machinima had the rights, and through mergers and stuff Machinima are now gone with all rights 'returned to the owners'. So WB may release it yet.

Rebirth was cool too, I reckon Tancharoen would do it justice, and how they presented the few characters and gave them a 'real' persona was different and interesting. Pity he didn't get the go ahead then either, but we got Legacy out of it, so not bad.

Speaking of, Street Fighter: Assassins Fist is not too bad either. Not as good as Legacy, but very well made all the same. You can get a 'move' version of it now, so all in 1 rather than 12 webisodes or 6 normal episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Speaking of, Street Fighter: Assassins Fist is not too bad either. Not as good as Legacy, but very well made all the same. You can get a 'move' version of it now, so all in 1 rather than 12 webisodes or 6 normal episodes.

Actrually forgot about that, that was decent.

Advertisement