Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving from B2 to A rated house

Options
  • 01-02-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi

I’m wondering what’s the best study I can undertake to pinpoint practical steps in moving our home from a B2 to an A3+ rated home. I have an up to date BER cert but it hasn’t given me this insight and frankly given wrong information.

I’m based in Galway if any companies can be recommended

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

peustace wrote: »
    Hi

I’m wondering what’s the best study I can undertake to pinpoint practical steps in moving our home from a B2 to an A3+ rated home. I have an up to date BER cert but it hasn’t given me this insight and frankly given wrong information.

I’m based in Galway if any companies can be recommended

Thanks

I dont know anyone in that area but I can PM a supply store that could reccomend names.

Is your goal to make your home warmer or to increase its value? If you just want to make it warmer dont bother with a BER, get a blower test, sight inspection and a thermal survey.
    If you just want to get a better BER any SEAI approached BER assessor could look at your BER file and tweak the numbers to see what can be done easily, Depending on your knowledge and patience you might be able to do this yourself by learning how to use DEAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Hey Yellow_Fern

My goal is to make my house warmer and more efficient. Can you recommend companies who can provide the blower test/sight inspection/thermal survey?

Thanks!

Hey Yellow_Fern

My goal is to make my house warmer and more efficient. Can you recommend companies who can provide the blower test/sight inspection/thermal survey?

Thanks!

I wouldnt know the Galway area but if you google airtightness test galway there are some results. Ill PM more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hey Yellow_Fern

Thanks!

NSAI Certified Airtightness testers:
    https://www.nsai.ie/certification/agrement-certification/air-tightness-testing/

One route on how to achieve an A-rating from your start point would be to to engage a registered Technical Advisor. Their initial purpose was to assess a home's 'readiness' for a heat pump but they will be able to take a BER assessment and plot a course to A rating.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/find-a-registered-professional/SEAI-Registered-Technical-Advisors.pdf

Edited to add: while airtightness is important for comfort, for the efficient function of mechanical ventilation etc etc, the impact on the BER is quite small. Not that that isn't a reason that you might not improve it but just something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How old is your house?
    Is it bungalow or 2 storey or dormer?
    Airtightness, increased insulation where possible and heat recovery and ventilation would be my suggestions.
    Being able to do away with wall vents in favour of mechanical ventilation is a massive benefit.
    I'm guessing you already have an adequately controlled heating system.

• Advertisement

Just to add to mickdw, if the house has none mechanical ventilation installed, you'd probably be looking for something like a Lunos or other decentralised ventilation system but a airtester could advise.

mickdw wrote: »
    How old is your house?
    Is it bungalow or 2 storey or dormer?
    Airtightness, increased insulation where possible and heat recovery and ventilation would be my suggestions.
    Being able to do away with wall vents in favour of mechanical ventilation is a massive benefit.
    I'm guessing you already have an adequately controlled heating system.

Thanks! We have a 2 storey detached home. We're on oil heating with Nest controlled. I think I've undertaken a number of the base steps already - composite front door, pumped cavity, attic insulation etc
    Just to add to mickdw, if the house has none mechanical ventilation installed, you'd probably be looking for something like a Lunos or other decentralised ventilation system but a airtester could advise.

This is interesting, I'd be interested to hear if others have experience of using a system like Lunos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RikKav

Hi peustace - Did you ever find any reviews of the Lunos system as I am looking into installing it?

Hey RikKav, no I didn’t get any reviews of it. Interested in hearing how you fair out though. Good luck with it!

Advertisement