Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gifts for cousins children

• 21-12-2019 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a godchild who is 5 how much is a suitable cash gift for them?
    I'll be giving to their sibling too. Should they get same amount or less?

My other cousin has a new born. How much do I give them, if anything? I presume the same as the godchilds sibling.

I don't want to give gifts as I don't want the hassle of trying to figure out what to get but I don't want to buy anything unsuitable or unwanted plus it is too late now for presents. They will all be well covered with presents from closer family. I get that it is slightly impersonal though. I'm not really a Christmas person. I'm already totally stressed about what is suitable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi,

My other cousin has a new born. How much do I give them, if anything? I presume the same as the godchilds sibling.

I don't want to give gifts as I don't want the hassle of trying to figure out what to get but I don't want to buy anything unsuitable or unwanted plus it is too late now for presents. They will all be well covered with presents from closer family. I get that it is slightly impersonal though. I'm not really a Christmas person. I'm already totally stressed about what is suitable.

Thanks.

50 each. You’d spend that anyway on a decent present. You can’t exactly give them 20 it be seen as mean and you can’t give one of them 50 and the other one 20. So your left with 50 each as a minimum.

Just be mindful some parents can be funny about their children having large amounts of money

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

God child gets 50 rest of them 20

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Am not sure if it is a good idea to give cash to a five year old as a present.
    I do understand how hard it is to select something.
    Perhaps ask for advice from someone working in a toy shop or some adult who have children of that age.
    I understand that trying to pick the correct item is hard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

adrian92 wrote: »
    Am not sure if it is a good idea to give cash to a five year old as a present.
    I do understand how hard it is to select something.
    Perhaps ask for advice from someone working in a toy shop or some adult who have children of that age.
    I understand that trying to pick the correct item is hard

A smyths voucher. Or ask the parents is there anything they need

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

TK Maxx have loads of toys & books. Just pick something age appropriate, and for a boy/girl.

To a 5 year old money is just a piece of paper that they can’t do anything with for a few days at least.
    They will remember a toy and be able to play with it instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Hi,

Thanks.

You could get one voucher to cover the two siblings - Smyths as someone else has mentioned or One4all voucher or a National Book Token (think you can buy online). €50 is too much for a newborn if you're unsure if you should even be buying. A little outfit for a newborn wouldn't come to half of that amount. Somewhere like Next or Marks & Spencer is good for baby clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What about a new born?

I've gave money to the older ones before and they were excited about buying things themselves in the shops. Plus it goes to their savings piggy bank.
    They are well served in terms of physical gifts from closer family.

What about a new born?

Would a gift card for a childrens shop where they can buy clothes etc (or something for themselves...I don't mind) be suitable?
    I don't know what their style is so I don't want to buy something unsuitable or wrong size.

I appreciate that gift cards are a boring idea though but it is now too late for me to purposefully go and get something.

Or suggestions for a quick gift idea???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Stocks and shares, they may thank you in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JlMMY

Or suggestions for a quick gift idea???
    I got you buddy - hats! Hats are great, they're cheap, they're useful, they keep your head warm, you can buy them for all ages, I could go on and on. Hats.

Also - it's the thought that counts, and you know what Plato said:

A head can't think thoughts, if it is cold.

I think it was Plato, it could have been Dana though - I'm not sure...

https://www.next.ie/en/shop/gender-newbornboys-gender-newbornunisex-gender-olderboys-gender-youngerboys-productaffiliation-hatsglovesscarves-0

Hats bought and delivered :)

Advertisement