Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batwoman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As someone pointed out, the list was pretty limited when they were looking for an out lesbian actress with athletic body.
    And I was just thinking that with a name like Ruby Rose I'm surprised she doesn't already have red hair.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Is that her real name? Did RWBY Ruby Rose nick it from her? :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Grace pretty cutting on this casting.... I'm afraid to check her twitter feed. :eek: :pac:

She did make a lot of good points though... mainly that if this is going to work they're going to have to basically tailor the character to Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only seen her in OITNB but can't even really remember if I liked her in it or not. I think for the most part she was just... there. Didn't make that much of an impression on me anyway. That said, still be willing to give her a shot. She could be decent (though I wonder what they'll do about her tattoos).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Big 'aul "meh" from me; there are enough flaws with the CW superhero stable that I'd rather see concerted effort to tidy up existing shows than throwing another into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Grace pretty cutting on this casting.... I'm afraid to check her twitter feed. :eek: :pac:

She did make a lot of good points though... mainly that if this is going to work they're going to have to basically tailor the character to Rose.

Ruby has taken the ultra popular step of deleting her twitter. That'll help with the shows reviews now anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ruby has taken the ultra popular step of deleting her twitter. That'll help with the shows reviews now anyways.

Why do man-babies need to keep b*tching about sh*t they haven't even seen yet? RR likely wouldn't have been my first choice for the role but give her a f*cking chance rather than sending her hateful tweets.

Penn wrote: »
    Why do man-babies need to keep b*tching about sh*t they haven't even seen yet? RR likely wouldn't have been my first choice for the role but give her a f*cking chance rather than sending her hateful tweets.

Ah I dont think this can be blamed on the usual normal 'man babies" tbf. The issues on twitter seem to be that she 1. Isn't Jewish and is portraying a Jewish character and 2. Isn't lesbian so can't play a lesbian character (RR is a lesbian)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah I dont think this can be blamed on the usual normal 'man babies" tbf. The issues on twitter seem to be that she 1. Isn't Jewish and is portraying a Jewish character and 2. Isn't lesbian so can't play a lesbian character (RR is a lesbian)

It certainly can. It's an established pattern at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Twitter is the biggest online facilitator for man-babies, sh*tposters, trolls and any clutch of '-ist' groupings you care to name. There's a de-facto culture where the direct abuse of celebrities is just seen as a matter of course, or in the eyes of some, fair game and those celebs only have themselves to blame. All the while Twitter themselves seem reluctant or unwilling to do anything about this.

Though if the suggestion now is that abandoning Twitter is some PR move for extra kudos, then this burning garbage heap of a platform really has entered a new phase.

• Advertisement

It certainly can. It's an established pattern at this point.

I thought the "man babies" trope concerned people who would have been complaining about race-swapping and/or gender swapping a character ie. what happened to Zazie Beetz in Deadpool 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The CW have just ordered a pilot for this. Game of Thrones director David Nutter will helm the pilot episode. He also directed the pilots for Arrow and The Flash.

Honestly based on Ruby Rose's performance in the Elseworlds crossover, I'd be slow to give this a chance. She was exactly as phenomenally rubbish as I thought she'd be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Not sure if I'd judge Ruby on the basis of Elseworlds but the performance was the height of non committal for fear the character would received an adverse reaction so far out from her solo outing. That's more the fault of the writers than hers.

Some Casting news

Elizabeth Anweis has been cast as Catherine Hamilton-Kane in the CW series. Catherine is the second wife of Jacob Kane and the step-mother to Kate Kane, aka Batwoman. Although the character is a minor player in the comics, the outlet is reporting Catherine will play a significantly more important role in the series.
    Reimagined as a defense contractor and one of the most powerful people in Gotham City, Catherine has a dedication towards the city that goes against everything Batwoman is trying to change about the troubled metropolis. Catherine will likely make for a compelling new addition to the show, and add an interesting dimension Kate's mission.

Dougray Scott has been cast as Jacob Kane, Kate Kane's father.
    According to Deadline's description of the character, Jacob Kane is "a former military colonel with a chip on his shoulder for Batman... Jacob Kane now commands Gotham’s private security firm The Crows, and has made it his mission to protect his city better than the Dark Knight ever could. But it’s only a matter of time before his unwavering disdain for vigilantes puts him at odds with Gotham’s new caped crusader…who also happens to be his own daughter."

Teen Wolf alum Meagan Tandy will play Sophie Moore, a military academy graduate who works in Gotham as a high-level private security agent.
    Also joining the Batwoman pilot cast: Camrus Johnson (Luke Cage) as Lucius Fox’s son Luke, who guards Bruce Wayne’s estate while he’s away; and Nicole Kang (YOU) as Kate Kane’s excitable step-sister Mary Hamilton.

Rachel Skarsten has been cast as Alice, the Joker-esque leader of the Wonderland Gang, whose sole purpose is to spread terror across the city.

Dougray Scott. Now there's a Hollywood / Superhero what-if; in another universe he played wolverine in the X-Men movies, instead of the man who replaced him at the 11th hour, Hugh Jackman. And only because filming for Mission Impossible 2 overran, so Scott couldn't link up with the X-Men production that was already started.

Will air on Sundays alongside Supergirl starting this fall
    Kate Kane (Ruby Rose) never planned to be Gotham’s new vigilante. Three years after Batman mysteriously disappeared, Gotham is a city in despair. Without the Caped Crusader, the Gotham City Police Department was overrun and outgunned by criminal gangs. Enter Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) and his military-grade Crows Private Security, which now protects the city with omnipresent firepower and militia. Years before, Jacob’s first wife and daughter were killed in the crossfire of Gotham crime. He sent his only surviving daughter, Kate Kane, away from Gotham for her safety. After a dishonorable discharge from military school and years of brutal survival training, Kate returns home when the Alice in Wonderland gang targets her father and his security firm, by kidnapping his best Crow officer Sophie Moore (Meagan Tandy). Although remarried to wealthy socialite Catherine Hamilton-Kane (Elizabeth Anweis), who bankrolls the Crows, Jacob is still struggling with the family he lost, while keeping Kate –– the daughter he still has –– at a distance.

But Kate is a woman who’s done asking for permission. In order to help her family and her city, she’ll have to become the one thing her father loathes –– a dark knight vigilante. With the help of her compassionate stepsister, Mary (Nicole Kang), and the crafty Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson), the son of Wayne Enterprises’ tech guru Lucius Fox, Kate Kane continues the legacy of her missing cousin, Bruce Wayne, as Batwoman. Still holding a flame for her ex-girlfriend, Sophie, Kate uses everything in her power to combat the dark machinations of the psychotic Alice (Rachel Skarsten), who’s always somewhere slipping between sane and insane. Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate soars through the shadowed streets of Gotham as Batwoman. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, she must first overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

That dialogue is terrible; not that the CW superhero stable would make Sorkin lose sleep, but at least Supergirl's own "girl power" approach has a likeable, playful charisma. Here, Ruby Rose delivers the awkward clunkers like the plank of wood she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amell was a wooden actor however he had charisma, charm a likeability and personality something Rose has none of that and and when your lead actress looks the worst thing about the show that's not a good sign.

"I not going to let a man take credit for a woman's work" Puke!

Also, looks like they used some money to film in Chicago, I'm guessing that won't last past the pilot and we'll be back in Vancouver once more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lauren Cohan is out of work.

Re cast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, did anyone watch this? Or did I miss the thread about it...

So, did anyone watch this? Or did I miss the thread about it...

I've been watching it, it's your typical Arrowverse show. It's alright and takes a few episodes to get good. Plenty of Batman Easter eggs

Plus there is a more active thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057981359/8

Advertisement