Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VtM Part Two - The Owl's Debt

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lysander thanks the guards and makes for the manor house as fast as he can, without drawing attention to himself at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Some town's people look at Lysander a bit oddly as he runs past, but ignore him.

Eventually he stands before the manor house, with its front door open. The Lord of the Manor is currently supping with his family in warm evening air and looks at Lysander approach.

Realising Lysander is some type of foreigner he speaks to him in Latin.

OOC: Law + Wits, Diff 5

Due to his legal background, a bit of quick thinking and Romanian's closeness to Latin, Lysander manages a fluid conversation.

"So, what brings you here foreigner, coming here from Rome, did his holiness Anacletus send you?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

'Yes. Sent me here to speak with you, actually. He said you would know what it was about... that's all I was told.'

"Did he now, arrogant enough...Catalda.." he clicks his fingers and a servant girl approaches.

"Take my soup, I will finish it later...come Diplomat, I will show you."

He leads Lysander into a hall further into the manor, checks the corridor and then slowly opens the door.

Inside is a woman, a victim of a particularly hungry vampire, Lysander can tell that at but a glance.

"The woman was exsanguinated my physicians tell me. His holiness said he would send an expert on such matters, indeed I can tell from your accent you are Transylvanian, or Wallacian, am I right? These beasts plague your land, I would appreciate your expertise."

• Advertisement

Lysander pretends to examine the body closely, already knowing parts but looking for other clues.

'Yes... disgusting creatures really... I shall endeavour to get to the bottom of this for you.'

OOC: There's another part to my response but I want to see if Lysander finds anything first

Lysander finds an area on the tongue that has been prcisely rotted into a pattern.

Sk9k6C.jpg

The symbol of the extinct clan Cappadocian, mostly wiped out by the Giovanni in the 1400s.

Lysander turns to the lord with a grave look on his face.

'Yes... very serious. A particularly dangerous breed too if I am not mistaken. Can I ask, when did this happen exactly? I fear, my Lord... the beasts may have infiltrated your servants.'

Necrominus wrote: »
    Lysander turns to the lord with a grave look on his face.

'Yes... very serious. A particularly dangerous breed too if I am not mistaken. Can I ask, when did this happen exactly? I fear, my Lord... the beasts may have infiltrated your servants.'
    "They may have....never mind...it occurred several weeks ago, the frightening thing is the body has not decayed"

'My Lord... this is much more dangerous than I initially thought. You must gather your servants and tell them nothing of my presence. I need to use my... divine power as granted by his holiness to determine if evil resides within your halls.

A simple house briefing would suffice, something that keeps them all occupied for enough time to allow me to channel and search for the evil.'

• Advertisement

"Shall I do this now?"

'As soon as you can. Gather them in the largest area you have in the house. But first, tell me where that is - I must enter un noticed lest they suspect something.'

"Certainly the main hall, where I was eating just now. Do not worry, I will keep them focused enough that they will not suspect or notice you. Commoners can be inured to all else when unemployment hangs over their heads."

He goes out the door.

Lysander waits until he hears the Lord begin to speak before he enters the main hall.

The Lord begins by making a claim of money stolen from the manor coffers, asking the servants to line up and the one who performed the thievery to come forth.

There seems to be quite a bit of crying from the older members of staff concerned that they'll be losing their pay.

Lysander slips out into the main hall and examines the servants lined up from a distance, trying to sense if any of them are... different.

His intuition for his own kind tells him that all the servants are just mortals. He can hear their hearts racing at the fear of losing their jobs.

Lysander looks for the servant the Lord addressed as Catalda. He waits for the Lord to finish, giving a nod if necessary.

Then he will follow her.

The young woman heads off in the direction of the kitchen.

Lysander can hear her speaking a very corrupted version of Latin to another member of the serving staff. No entirely understandable, but roughly just local gossip.

Lysander follows towards the kitchen. He keeps an eye out on his surroundings, trying to take in the features of the manor.

• Advertisement

Lysander follows towards the kitchen. He keeps an eye out on his surroundings, trying to take in the features of the manor.
    The manor is wealthy enough looking, though it seems as if the owners have not yet fully moved in. Boxes and crates containing goods line some of the halls.

Eventually he arrives just outside the main kitchen. Catalda having stepped into the small parlour behind a table.

qZxzBD.jpg

Vrakrash peeks into the kitchen and tries to gauge if he would be noticed between here and the small parlour.

It seems the other servant who had been speaking to Catalda has stepped out.

Lysander slips through the kitchen as quietly as possible and into the parlour, pausing at the entrance briefly to check inside.

Lysander slips through the kitchen as quietly as possible and into the parlour, pausing at the entrance briefly to check inside.
    There is only Catalda and various foodstuffs, mainly stores of oat and wheat. Catalda seems to be gathering oats for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Fourier wrote:
    There is only Catalda and various foodstuffs, mainly stores of oat and wheat. Catalda seems to be gathering oats for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Lysander slips into the room and gently closes the door. When Catalda turns around he catches her gaze.

OOC: Command

'Tell me all you know about the body, the Lord and who visits here on a regular basis'

Catalda drops the bowl of oats and freezes rigid. She speaks at a pace slow enough for him to work out the contents.

"The hag from the lake came by, said Gerlanda owed her.

The Lord is a kind enough man, his family have not ruled us for long, they are foreigners, from Frankish lands.

Most of those who come to the manor are locals, or other men of the Lords race here to discuss war."

Fourier wrote:
    "The hag from the lake came by, said Gerlanda owed her.

He holds her gaze still.

'This hag. What else can you tell me about her?'

He holds her gaze still.

'This hag. What else can you tell me about her?'
    "I'm very lucky, I live in the Lord's household, I have access to doctors with leeches when I am sick. My parents and most other commoners live down in the village or houses nearby, they are not so lucky. For many years people have visited the Hag. She lives in a hit, two miles from here, on the banks of the Salsu river."

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote:
    "I'm very lucky, I live in the Lord's household, I have access to doctors with leeches when I am sick. My parents and most other commoners live down in the village or houses nearby, they are not so lucky. For many years people have visited the Hag. She lives in a hit, two miles from here, on the banks of the Salsu river."

Still holding her gaze, Lysander continues.

'Thank you Catalda. Should the time ever come when we meet again, you will agree to my request, no matter how bold it may seem to anyone else around you.'

Lysander breaks the gaze and leaves the room.

He heads back to find the Lord.

Advertisement