Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-Men Cinematic Universe Movies.

Options
  • 05-10-2016 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭

Only fair this franchise has it's own thread as well I think.

Starting with the name of Hugh Jackman final? appearance as Wolverine in "LOGAN" drops on March 3rd in the States.

CuAgE5yWYAEAMt0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wasn't expecting this to be coming out that soon, so that's good - I wasn't even sure they had begun filming to be honest.

What's the craic with Gambit then? Was that not supposed to be towards the end of this year/early next year? Has it been pushed back?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Doug Liman who was slated to direct Gambit left in August is now doing Justice League Dark so I'd say it's been put on the backburner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw 'The Wolverine' long after its release and honestly it wasn't half as bad as some of the bad press made it seem. Its final act was a bit poor, and lacked that x-factor (no pun intended) to make it truly memorable, but it had its moments. I just hope the second wind gained from Deadpool's R-rating doesn't mean 'Logan' will overcompensate with adolescent cussing for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^Barring maybe the final 20 mins, I really liked The Wolverine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I absolutely hated the power loss story line. It's one of the most lazy stories a superhero film can tell at this point.

Superman 2- loses his powers so he can be human.
    Dark Knight- meets Harvey Dent so Bruce wants to stop batmanning
    Spider-Man 2- powers stop working and they never really bother explaining why
    Daredevil series 2- loud bang causes him to lose his super hearing for a while
    Iron Man 3- Tony is suitless even though probably any one of those remoter controllable suits could bust out whenever they feel like
    X-Men 3- Mutant cure (in the same franchise FFS! and it's in First Class too!)

Is there really so few stories you can tell that usually in the second outing you already have to go for them losing their powers to "find" themselves?

Trailer for Logan.

‘Deadpool’ Director Tim Miller Exits Sequel Over Creative Differences :(

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/deadpool-director-tim-miller-exits-sequel-over-creative-differences-1201897786/

Fox's X-Men Issues;

A reboot of the diminishing mutant movie series is in the works as Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine heads for retirement and a studio's $4 billion franchise sits in flux.
    With the summer release of X-Men: Apocalypse behind it and a Deadpool sequel hitting a speed bump, 20th Century Fox is finding its superhero franchise at another type of X: a crossroads.

Fox has had movie rights to Marvel's X-Men characters since the 1990s, well before Marvel became its own studio and Fox ostensibly launched the modern comic book movie with 2000's X-Men. But now, after some highs, lows and one reset (2011's X-Men: First Class), there are signs of wear and tear on a franchise that has grossed more than $4 billion.

Apocalypse, directed by Bryan Singer, earned $544 million worldwide, a sharp drop from the $748 million made by previous entry X-Men: Days of Future Past. What's more, stars Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Nicholas Hoult have come to the end of their three-picture contracts. If new studio chairman Stacey Snider wants them to return, they won't come cheap.

"You're gauged by the success of the franchise," says box-office analyst Paul Degarabedian. "This one didn't engender the love of previous movies. It's time to go back to the drawing board."

There are other signs of paint chipping as well. Fox's solidly performing Wolverine spinoff series winds down with Logan (March 3), which is meant to be the last of the Hugh Jackman-fronted movies. (The movie just released a trailer which insiders say was the most watched spot in the history of the X-Men franchise.) In addition, Gambit, a solo spinoff movie to star Channing Tatum, failed to start production this year as planned and in August lost its director, Doug Liman.

And in perhaps the most unexpected development, Deadpool director Tim Miller pulled out of the sequel Oct. 22 after feuding with star Ryan Reynolds. (His composer Tom Holkenborg soon followed.) Deadpool was a surprise massive hit ($782.6 million) in February, so the studio has moved quickly to fill the sequel's director chair, with John Wick's David Leitch now in negotiations. And in a sign of how much faith it has in the Reynolds-starring franchise, Fox already is planning Deadpool 3, readying a filmmaker search for a storyline that will involve another X-team, X-Force, say sources.

Elsewhere, the reset button has been pressed. Sources say the flagship series will be reconfigured, with Simon Kinberg, overseer of the franchise as producer and writer, working on a new script. Singer, who directed four X-Men movies, will not be returning, according to insiders, but the script is being written with Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy optimistically in mind.

And after being on hold as Tatum shot Steven Soderbergh’s Logan Lucky, Gambit should move back into active development with a new filmmaker.

One of Fox's best hopes may be The New Mutants, a spinoff featuring superpowered teens with some overlap with the flagship X-Men. According to sources, director Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars) could even begin rolling cameras by spring.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/foxs-x-men-issues-jennifer-lawrence-unsigned-deadpool-defections-gambit-hold-945505

I know it won't happen but I'd love Fox to partner with Marvel instead of rebooting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That seems drastic, especially considering the McEvoy/Fassbender films were in effect soft reboots. Hard to think how they would reboot X-Men without involving Xavier and Magneto; Jennifer Lawrence's star power was ultimately a bit of a mill around the franchises' neck, the scripts obviously kowtowing to her fame at the expense of the actual main characters.

• Advertisement

The X-Men films are weirdly anachronistic these days.

Without doubt X-mens 1 and 2 pushed the entire genre along. They really lost their way until First Class and then Deadpool, but never really adopted the Marvel playbook. Apocalypse does look and feel like something from the 90's (Id' guess that was deliberate on Singer's part- sticking with what worked!) Sometimes, it feels like people make good X-Men films in spite of Fox, not with them (have you heard the crap Reynolds went through to get DP made? He had to personally pay for script writers at one point!)

Logan looks good, really good, but it's really time for a super duper hard reboot then. It won't happen, they'll ride the DP train dry, but it's time to negotiate with Marvel or restart afresh or I really think they'll run the muties in to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The X-Men films are weirdly anachronistic these days.

Without doubt X-mens 1 and 2 pushed the entire genre along. They really lost their way until First Class and then Deadpool, but never really adopted the Marvel playbook. Apocalypse does look and feel like something from the 90's (Id' guess that was deliberate on Singer's part- sticking with what worked!) Sometimes, it feels like people make good X-Men films in spite of Fox, not with them (have you heard the crap Reynolds went through to get DP made? He had to personally pay for script writers at one point!)

Logan looks good, really good, but it's really time for a super duper hard reboot then. It won't happen, they'll ride the DP train dry, but it's time to negotiate with Marvel or restart afresh or I really think they'll run the muties in to the ground.

Another reboot/reset/whatever would be a hard pill to swallow for audiences so soon after the new cast finished their trilogy. Only way I could see that going well is to either cool off for 5+ years or do a Spiderman and reintroduce them as part of that universe before giving them their own series of movies.

It tends to be a drum I bang quite a lot, but even if Marvel were to get the rights back, I'd much prefer them to keep X-Men in their own universe; the Marvelverse is too crowded at the best of times & the MCU is no exception. There are more than enough characters and stories that the X-Men can tell on their own, without the existing MCU polluting the narrative.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It tends to be a drum I bang quite a lot, but even if Marvel were to get the rights back, I'd much prefer them to keep X-Men in their own universe; the Marvelverse is too crowded at the best of times & the MCU is no exception. There are more than enough characters and stories that the X-Men can tell on their own, without the existing MCU polluting the narrative.

This is probably what would happen- at several points they've cordoned off mutants anyway from the main continuity.

pixelburp wrote: »

Agreed. It's tough enough to believe in the comics that everyone loves superpowered people except filthy mutants but in the movies, it'd be so much harder to sell. Plus, yes, I think it would overcrowd everything.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm sick of seeing X-Men movies that aren't really about the X-Men. They need a hard reboot and they need someone who understands the characters to write and direct. And then they need an X-Factor spinoff Netflix show.

If Fox are going to reboot it they need to give Logan a well earned break for a few films.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If Fox are going to reboot it they need to give Logan a well earned break for a few films.

I don't mind if Wolverine appears or is part of the team in a reboot, but he shouldn't be as prominent. Focus definitely needs to be given to others, especially Cyclops who hasn't been done justice.

Penn wrote: »
    I don't mind if Wolverine appears or is part of the team in a reboot, but he shouldn't be as prominent. Focus definitely needs to be given to others, especially Cyclops who hasn't been done justice.

Agreed. I really like James Marsden but he was totally fcuked over by Bryan Singer. A reboot needs to actually feature the X-Men to work...

Agreed. I really like James Marsden but he was totally fcuked over by Bryan Singer. A reboot needs to actually feature the X-Men to work...

Again, this is them not adopting the new playbook of comic book films. The old thinking was a team doesn't work, you have to push one character to the fore. That's old thinking these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

After Apocalypse i dont really have any interest in seeing another x men movie.

Let logan be the end of this franchise.

i thought Apocalypse was terrible which was dissapointing after how good first class and days of future past were.

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    After Apocalypse i dont really have any interest in seeing another x men movie.

Let logan be the end of this franchise.

i thought Apocalypse was terrible which was dissapointing after how good first class and days of future past were.

Agreed. Let Logan be the last before a reboot, and even though Deadpool is connected to the X-Men universe, no need to change a thing about it. Just have Deadpool make fun of the reboot/break the 4th wall about it.

Again, this is them not adopting the new playbook of comic book films. The old thinking was a team doesn't work, you have to push one character to the fore. That's old thinking these days.

Not just that, though. What I mean is...

X-Men was about the X-Men
    X2 was about Wolverine but featured many X-Men, albeit most in diminished roles
    X-Men: The Last Stand was mostly about Wolverine, Jean Gray and Magneto
    X-Men: First Class was an origin so basically didn't feature the X-Men as matter of course but mostly focussed on Xavier and, stupidly, Mystique & Magneto
    X-Men: Days of Future Past was about Wolverine and, for some reason, Mystique
    X-Men: Apocalypse was, bizarrely again, about Mystique

Out of six films, one places most of its focus on the core team (albeit with Wolverine pushed out in front), and three (!!) focus on Mystique, a villain, whom they spin into a mutant hero because Jennifer Lawrence is really popular. Fassbender has an overly prominent role in DoFP and Apocalypse purely because they had him under contract and, to be fair, he's very good.

Cyclops features prominently in the first film, gets kidnapped and disappears for 90% of the second film and then dies at the start of the 3rd film. The guy is the leader of the group and only really features in one film.

What I want to see is a film about Cyclops, Storm, Gambit, Jean, Jubilee, Wolverine, Rogue, Beast etc. fighting a villain. Not a film about Mystique being the rallying force for mutants everywhere and becoming some sort of anti-hero.

Ugh, apologies for the rant...!

Not just that, though. What I mean is...

X-Men was about the X-Men
    X2 was about Wolverine but featured many X-Men, albeit most in diminished roles
    X-Men: The Last Stand was mostly about Wolverine, Jean Gray and Magneto
    X-Men: First Class was an origin so basically didn't feature the X-Men as matter of course but mostly focussed on Xavier and, stupidly, Mystique & Magneto
    X-Men: Days of Future Past was about Wolverine and, for some reason, Mystique
    X-Men: Apocalypse was, bizarrely again, about Mystique

Out of six films, one places most of its focus on the core team (albeit with Wolverine pushed out in front), and three (!!) focus on Mystique, a villain, whom they spin into a mutant hero because Jennifer Lawrence is really popular. Fassbender has an overly prominent role in DoFP and Apocalypse purely because they had him under contract and, to be fair, he's very good.

Cyclops features prominently in the first film, gets kidnapped and disappears for 90% of the second film and then dies at the start of the 3rd film. The guy is the leader of the group and only really features in one film.

What I want to see is a film about Cyclops, Storm, Gambit, Jean, Jubilee, Wolverine, Rogue, Beast etc. fighting a villain. Not a film about Mystique being the rallying force for mutants everywhere and becoming some sort of anti-hero.

Ugh, apologies for the rant...!

T'was a good rant.

Love the imagery off into he sunset for Logan in his last outing.

15697309_1291350260926943_5926703726675299397_n.jpg?oh=e614bf51d1d3ccb35899c4ce1509a3c5&oe=591FEC16

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

But he's walking away from the sunset :pac:

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    But he's walking away from the sunset :pac:

Sap :P:D

Another trailer for Logan has appeared: still looking good.

Yup. Another great trailer. Really looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

More scenes. More violence...

The international trailer..

• Advertisement

So disappointing that this is his last...

Advertisement