Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer Parts and what to do with them?

• 20-07-2014 10:57pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had to strip down a Packard Bell Evernote TM Laptop that was beyond saving. So what I have left over is a functioning Motherboard and Processor. I've had to salvage the hard drive for the owner, but I have another 320gb hard drive from an old external desktop. Any interesting projects for what remains of the machine I've just pillaged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Itzy wrote: »
    Any interesting projects for what remains of the machine I've just pillaged?

353875.jpg

:D

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That looks like a very cool idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Itzy wrote: »
    I've had to strip down a Packard Bell Evernote TM Laptop that was beyond saving. So what I have left over is a functioning Motherboard and Processor. I've had to salvage the hard drive for the owner, but I have another 320gb hard drive from an old external desktop. Any interesting projects for what remains of the machine I've just pillaged?

Yep.....There's lots you could do with it.....You'll need some memory too.

Add a cheap webcam, and you could set up a cheap security camera thingy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sounds like a good idea. I could put together a case or mount for a mainboard and then hook up a few cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Fans could be used for air Con or robot vacuum cleaner

• Advertisement

The Boards could be mounted into a custom case and or mounted into a 2/4u rack to be used as server machines. That or I could use them as roving robots mounted to a chassis with cameras.

Advertisement