Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Energy Saving Kit from library

Options
  • 25-11-2019 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Has anyone used the Home Energy Saving Kit available from local libraries? I'm wondering if the thermal leak detector and energy monitor are useful (and reasonably accurate) tools.

Don't have a BER cert and thinking about getting one done in the new year. I'll have a look at DEAP over the xmas first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Never got the Home Energy Saving Kit but I’ve most of it already for various reasons.
    You can get smart plugs with energy monitors now which are very useful and cheap and a lot more useful than just an energy monitor. I got the below brand a few weeks ago on Amazon during a sale for £15 each. You might find something similar someplace now with Black Friday but make sure you get a smart plug with energy monitoring not just a smart plug.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GWWRK1C/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
    The smart plug energy monitor shows me what energy the appliance used today and the average over the last 30 days. It also shows how long it was on and other data. It’s all clear and easy to read on your phone. I find it really useful. The added advantage the smart plug energy monitor over a standard energy monitor is you can set it on and off easily at times or based on your location. Or you can connect it to a smart speaker and say ‘turn on the TV’.
    For example:
    I’ve one which powers my TV, speaker, Amazon Fire Stick, etc. (not a sky box or other TV box if you intend to use the record function when out). They allow me to turn off the appliances fully at night or when I’m at work rather than just put them into standby mode which saves you more energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

Thanks, I'll be getting a smart plug with energy monitoring alright (have one without the monitoring already, dead handy).

If you have TV, dvd player etc plugged into a socket extension, do you know if you can plug the socket extension into the smart plug? Have a combined energy reading for all the devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, I'll be getting a smart plug with energy monitoring alright (have one without the monitoring already, dead handy).

If you have TV, dvd player etc plugged into a socket extension, do you know if you can plug the socket extension into the smart plug? Have a combined energy reading for all the devices?
    Yes as long as you respect the Sp limit, prolly 13 amps/3000w

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement