Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineer

• 23-05-2018 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Looking for some advice. Iv recently found a house which I love and I'm hoping it will be a forever home for me, my partner and child. Mortgage approved last week and our 2nd offer has been accepted by the venders. I'm just wondering if I should get an engineer in to look over the house?

I know were about to spend quite a substantial amount of money on a house and the price of an engineer is small in comparison but most people iv asked have advised me to not bother with an engineer for the following reasons

#1 They will find any issue with the house to justify their money for looking over it

#2 The price is agreed and no matter what an engineer finds the venders will not budge on the price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

I don't think either point is true. Vendors move price all the time based on the report.

It is definitely worth getting the work done. The engineer could find major issues that could cost 50k plus. Are you willing to take the risk of spending hundreds of thousands on a property not knowing what the final cost will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I think you are mad not to engage an engineer. His report might save you thousands of euros in the future. And if he doesn't find anything big, a lot of them come back with improvement advices.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vr7 wrote: »
    #1 They will find any issue with the house to justify their money for looking over it
    That's not how it works. A favourable report justifies the fee just as much as a fault.
    #2 The price is agreed and no matter what an engineer finds the venders will not budge on the price
    That's their prerogative.
    If you think it's still worth it, then pay it.
    If you don't think it's worth it, then walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭In the wind

So are we talking about a "structural engineer"? a "Surveyor"?
    What is such an engineer called?

Is there a list of certified professionals that could be consulted to get in contact with such a professional?

Or a list of customer rated professionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think middle age has just dawned upon me!

Read the O.P and all I wanted to do was...
    Take a sip of tea, tut and then nod knowingly whilst saying "Penny wise and pound foolish! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement