Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jacobs Biscuit factory

Options
  • 16-08-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are employee records available to the public for Jacobs.
    My great grandfather worked there in the early 1900s.
    Thanks

Sorry meant to post this in the genealogy section. Can it be moved please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I think an episode of Who Do You Think You Are followed Chris Moyles roots, and as far as I'm aware he had a relative in the Jacob's factory, and I THINK he was looking at records...

Perhaps someone might remember the episode a bit better than I do :) Will see if I can find it online in the meantime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Alicat is right. They went to the Tallaght factory, which had only recently closed and still employed its archivist. I'm not sure if they still do now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The name of the Jacobs archivist featured was Douglas Appleyard... I dont know if he still is

He is mentioned on the website of the Tallaght Historical Society (on the South Dublin Co Council website) , it might be worth contacting them - see :

http://connect.southdublin.ie/ths/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Let us know how you get on and if the records are accessible or not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Thanks for replies everyone, been away a while so just catching up with posts. I'll let you know how I get on.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Douglas Appleyard is also involved in the very active Raheny Hertiage Society. I was also pondering this only recently as my ancestors also worked in Jacobs! Anyway, info on the society here: Raheny Heritage Society Info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scorpiobabe69

It's a pity really. I'd like to look up some family members who worked there. Guinness Storehouse has a genealogy section online where I was able to access employment records for my great-grandad, his brother and daughter. It's a very handy resource. It's a pity such an historic company as Jacobs can't do something similar.

Advertisement