Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian records

Options
  • 22-06-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

My lot are from Kerry and I was searching Kerry Newspaper archives and found the attached article. Came as a bit of a surprise because I thought the Peter in question emigrated to Canada. I have records of a family grave in Montreal and I thought that's where he ended up. It could be another Peter as there are a few of them in my tree. I have no idea where to start looking for him. Any ideas please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

you could start by searching the online newspaper archives for a mention of him
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

A lot of the states have online BDM records,some free to search.

You could also search the immigration records on various websites, Ancestry, Familysearch and individual Australian state libraries, mostly fee paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Wyldwood, I'll make a start there. I've a funny feeling that it's the Peter Glover in Canada he was looking for.
    IF, and that's a big IF, I am on the right track George Glover had a drink problem. A neighbour was charged with his manslaughter in 1906 following a drunken argument. Could he have mixed up Australia with Canada. Lots of research to be done before I solve this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is Ranalough, Co. Kerry relevant to you?

There's a Glover family tree on Ancestry features a Peter Glover who died in Montreal in 1919.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's us Hermy. Himself and his entire family emigrated in 1888 and I have a link to the gravesite. I've never heard mention of an Australian connection before and it has me a bit perplexed.

Found a reply to that advertisement. Definitely not the Peter Glover in Canada. Now to go through Trove to see if I can find something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's a great repsonse jos28.

I have a similar story which I haven't found any repsonse to yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Very similar and just as intriguing. You'd imagine it would be hard to hide in the USA with a name like Ignatius. I presume you've searched passenger lists and census returns.

Advertisement