Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drones - General Discussion.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

jogdish wrote: »
    So Im willing to spend for a nice drone that wont break the bank (<400) but handles well, is steady in light wind and takes nice-ish video.Any ideas?

At the moment - DJI makes the best drones..
    You can get a DJI Factory Refurbished Phantom 3 here for under 400:
    http://amzn.to/2oDcazj

Keep an eye out for any other DJI drone on sale - they released lots new products this year - so no telling what stock they might be selling off.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

As in the lead with the white head? I've tried with and without and im still getting balance connect error, I found This lead online which I think Ill purchase
    https://www.amazon.com/T-Power-adapter-Turnigy-Accucel-Lipo/dp/B00CJ26OSY

Nothing else I have seems to do the job.

Have you selected Lipo battery in the menu and the correct number of cells? Can you take a picture of the battery and charger before you get the error? i.e. before you press the start button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

My menu reads LiPo Balance chg
    1.3a 14.8V (4s) before I hold down the start button,that then gives me the battery connect error

My battery I use is a 1300 mah 14.8V

Can you plug in the balance connector and try again. If it doesn't work, reduce the 1.3a to 1a or even lower.

I cannot charge at 2a with my 12v 2a supply. The max I can charge at is 1a. That's why I bought the bigger power supply.

Still no joy at 1 amp, I'll try again at the weekend with another lead my brother has and I'll enter in a lower the amp setting, I was hesitant at first changing the settings with warning of explosion signs all over the packaging etc.

• Advertisement

Charging at lower than 1C (1.3 amps) is fine. It's charging at higher rates that causes problems.

Maybe there is a problem with your unit? Where did you get it?

Páid wrote: »
    Charging at lower than 1C (1.3 amps) is fine. It's charging at higher rates that causes problems.

Maybe there is a problem with your unit? Where did you get it?

I'm on my second turnigy, I thought the first one was faulty but I asked the seller could it be replaced so I got another one sent out, but this one is showing me the same battery connect error, it's not the battery either as I got a new battery in the middle of all of this and still I'm getting the same battery connect error.
    It has to be the power lead from the wall causing the problem. Got the turnigy from the uk on eBay.

I would be inclined to try out another power supply in order to confirm that's the problem. You know you can use a car battery to power it? Do you have access to one?

You can eliminate a problem with the balance connector by connecting the battery as on page 18 of here and viewing the voltage of each cell - https://hobbyking.com/media/file/705098054X7478X35.pdf
    If you can view the voltage of each cell of the 4 cells then there isn't a problem with either the balance connector or internally in the unit.

If you are near Dublin you could contact David Yaffe of www.RadioControlledShop.ie

He has a variety of PSU's that might do the job - http://www.radiocontrolledshop.ie/86-Power-Supply-Units-Ireland-RC

For whatever reason it seems to be working now on my newer battery which I slightly discharged earlier, my initial 2 batteries do not seem to work using the same method (probably because hey have been completely empty for a number of weeks?), I messed around a bit with the material you posted which gave me a better idea so thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Glad you got it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 waliver

Hey guys,
    Anyone know what the roles are like in relation to drones been shot down by neighboring farmers?
    If you get permission from a farmer to fly on his land but a neighboring farmers shoots you down while still flying over the first farmers land and flying with in IAA roles. Can you call the Garda or where do you stand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

waliver wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Anyone know what the roles are like in relation to drones been shot down by neighboring farmers?
    If you get permission from a farmer to fly on his land but a neighboring farmers shoots you down while still flying over the first farmers land and flying with in IAA roles. Can you call the Garda or where do you stand?

Any more info?

How high we're you flying, were you flying his way... Ect

I use “DroneDeploy”
    Sometimes I’ll fly a grid over the land with the camera facing down never going outside the land of ownership and I find a height of 60-70 meters gets good shots.
    But I worry in the back of my head as to the safety of my drone with some neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

waliver wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    .. Can you call the Garda or where do you stand?

The guys over on the hunting forum seem sure of the answer

Its illegal to shoot drones from the sky - and if it lands by accident in his field he cannot keep it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057626395&page=2

“Roll it back”

Thanks for that reply.
    That was very helpful.

Anyone with a DJI Phantom 4 had issues with most recent firmware updates?

Advertisement