Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

rejkin wrote: »
    Sub-city in Dublin city centre - last time i went in there,which was a year ago,they laughed at me when i said they had a misleading sign up in their store about prices of back issues of comics and kept saying I was wrong even though it was obvious they had the wrong prices up. Said Id never shop in there again and I havent, Its not like theres no other comic shops in town so they shouldnt be so rude to their customers,hopefully for other customers sakes they have got better staff in now but i doubt it.:mad:

they've had the same staff for years, third place isn't much better - alot of those small shops are a little clicky - staff have bunch of their mates in chatting at the till and the place is already too small to start with. Bunch of those small clothes shops in temple bar are the biggest cluprits - 4 or 5 people chatting around the till and you can just fit in the door. Get my comics in forbidden planet cus while the staff have been dim at times, you've got plenty of room so you don't need to interact with them if you don't want to. There has been a bunch of Livejournal/blog posts about FP dublin staff being rude and normally I do find them a little slow [thou not rude] but people are quick to point out bad service and rarely good service so I will say last time I was in I picked up comics downstairs, went upstairs to look for xmas pressies and one of the staff from downstairs came up looking for me with a comic I'd asked about ages ago. When it came in he remebered me asking for it and kept, even thou I hadn't asked him to and I live down the country so only get up every 2 or 3 weeks and he didn't know when I'd be back in. I thought it was very nice of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

made this thread a sticky and renamed it as "best and worst", rather than just worst. Let the ranting and praising continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Rant: Kilkenny Design. I bought an ornament there a while ago (didn't check it properly so partially my fault - I had been eyeing it up for a while, so knew what it looked like) and had to bring it back due to a chip. THe shop assistant obviously thought it was my fault!!! But I had done nothing to the thing except for unwrap it. She kept asking me what I expected her to do about it, even when I told her what I wanted. In the end I got a credit note, but even that was hard going. Will never buy there again (and I used to buy a lot there)

Rave: Marks and Spencers in Dundrum today. There was such a helpful shop assistant helping a women with a buggy today... couldn't do enough for her.

Rave: Wexford AIB. Fantastic. Very helpful, straight talking and capable people working there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ntl Call Centre: absolute disaster.

Ntl Engineer I bumped into outside my apt.: Absolutely first rate, told me not to bother with the call centre in future. He said they aren't paid enough to give a toss, gave me his mobile number in case of future problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭rameire

you just reminded me, i senttheir customer services a mail about 2 months ago asking about different prce plans, still no reply.

Just thinking, I mailed 2 branches of First Active and their head customer service dept about 6 months back to enquire about their e saver account and am also still waiting.

does the e in e saver not give it away, its online, all details are on the website, you could have just set the account up took me less than two weeks to have it all setup and working ONLINE.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

NTL are atrociously poor at customer service. The satellite installer couldn't fit the dish because his ladder wasn't long enough and it would take up to two weeks to get a suitable one? My fúcking hole.

The independant Sky installer was called the next day and easily succeeded in getting onto the roof from the top bedroom and installing the dish.

Dinkie wrote: »
    Rant: Kilkenny Design. I bought an ornament there a while ago (didn't check it properly so partially my fault - I had been eyeing it up for a while, so knew what it looked like) and had to bring it back due to a chip. THe shop assistant obviously thought it was my fault!!! But I had done nothing to the thing except for unwrap it. She kept asking me what I expected her to do about it, even when I told her what I wanted. In the end I got a credit note, but even that was hard going. Will never buy there again (and I used to buy a lot there)

I don't know if the cafe upstairs is run by the kilkenny design or its sub contracted out to someone else but was in there a couple of weeks before xmas with my aunts and they wanted to get food. Nothing at the hot food section looked nice [I'm a veggie] so went to a get sandwich. Big sign in front of sandwiches saying "choice of chips or salad" The sandwiches are already made up and this cheese/salad thing looked nice so I asked for that with chips and the girl behind the counter got really snotty with me saying chips only came with club sandwich. I pointed out that the sign didn't say that and she just snapped back at me chips only with club sandwich. I asked if there was veggie option to the club sandwich and she just rolled her eyes, muttered something to her friend I couldn't hear and said we're very busy I don't have time to answer all these questions.

Needless to say i didn't get any sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

RantWhen we were buying a christmas tree this year we went to the place on booterstown avenue. The woman there was the rudest salesperson I've ever met. We only bought the tree because it was perfect and we were in a hurry.

RaveI'll reiterate that the staff in Game on Dawson St. are some of the nicest and most helpful people around.

RaveAlso was on the phone for 30 minutes to a helpful and patient Linksys representative about my Wireless Router. He solved the problem eventually and was very nice every step of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

mini rave: went into HMV to exchange an unwanted CD with no receipt. they didn't even question me for a second, just said to find something else i'd like.

if only all shop's operated that simple a policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

PAYPAL are the WORST business I have ever dealt with in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Thortons Recycling have a IVR system that tells you the average wait time and offer you the option to leave a voicemail saying they'll get back to you within the hour. For the buzz at 3.30 I did leave a voicemail, and sure enough they did get back to me within 40-ish minutes. Impressive (having been used to leaving similar voicemails with ESB, o2 and Digiweb and never getting a response)!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

mini rave: went into HMV to exchange an unwanted CD with no receipt. they didn't even question me for a second, just said to find something else i'd like.

if only all shop's operated that simple a policy

Agree with this. Plus they have their returns policy in clear view at the till and the staff know exactly what the policy is. (This was in HMV Cork.)

Also, the staff in HMV Galway are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I've called Bank Of Irelands credit card line a couple of times about an application and each time they were quite unfriendly on the line and seemed to be trying to get me to hang up quickly.
    The question I was asking wasn't particularly obvious but you would think from their attitude I was an idiot. Also when I tried to ask an additional question they gave me a rushed answer and more or less hung up on me.

Maybe they have high call targets to meet but their attitude would encourage me to switch provider if it remains as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Good
    I ordered a few CDs on CD WOW recently and after a few days I got 2 emails yesterday informing me that there was a delay with stock and that they wouldn't have the two CDs in until next Monday. Usually I can wait but this time they are for a birthday gift and I can't really wait, so I went out tonight and bought both CDs in town. So I emailed CD WOW to cancel and refund me the amount on both orders...1 and a half hours later, I have an email confirming that my order has been canceled and I will receive a refund - quick service!

I did this about a year ago also and the item was canceled and I was refunded however, CD WOW made a mistake and shipped the CD out to me even though I had canceled it...so I thought about it and informed them that they had shipped an item that was canceled and refunded...and I posted it back. They gave me double the cost of postgae in vouchers...I didn't need 2 copies of the same CD and I was honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Everyone here is giving out! have none of you guys got a good story?

Subway in Swords is great staff are so very friendly, and they put a good amount of effort into making you a nice sandwich. I love eating there. :)

Also the best service I have ever experienced is the Shikansen (Bullet train) in Japan. Train is ALWAYS on time. the word late doesn't exist over there.

When we got lost in northern Japan and had to get a feeder train back to the main station they held the bullet train for us for a minute as it was the last train that day (still wasn't late though arriving at the next station, its seriously fast) and because there was a mix up and we were given the wrong tickets (our fault really we said Oshida instead of Oishida) we were given a major discount for the return trip. A top notch service. If only CIE was like this.

Now that i think about it every service in Japan is amazing. makes me want to go back

grahambo wrote: »

read back a couple of posts grahambo, couple of good raves.

This thread use to be the "worst customer service" thread but was renamed and sticked only recently as people were posting some positive stories as well as the bad. So the first few pages are all rants but from about the second last page on its mixed rants and raves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Makes you think, no?

Well. A favourite here i had the "pleasure" to deal with as well:
    NTL/Chorus/UPC

Never in my entire life i have run into such a bunch of useless kocks.
    It took them 11 months to get my BB connection back to standard. It took me at least 70 calls. All the time the usual promises to call back etc.
    Not going into that too far, the stories are on the boards here.
    The, when it was finally dealt with part 2 started. They had refunded some months subscription and for the last 2 months of 2007 i would not have to pay either. Well, bill came, of course it showed the €80 for 2 month BB for november and december. Called them again and was told to not pay and they would make a note. earlier this month the reminder for the 80 came and the threat to disconnect me.
    Really... i pity the fool who meets me and tells me he or she works for that joke of a company.

Next one
    PCworld.
    Bought for about €400 from some uninterested kid and after paying him i asked if he could call a raxi as it was too much to walk to the taxi stand. No he couldnt and walked off . Ii was without words. Believe me.. that doesnt happen often.

I generally avoid any shop after 4 in the afternoon or in the weekend if i can. it is then the part timers are out and really they dont give a flying fcuk. they are just out htere to collect there €7 an hour by doing as less as possible and having a competition who can look the most uninterested.

it is because of that behavior i try to buy my stuff on line as much as i can. Or just wait till i am abroad and buy there. Saves you usually quite a bit as well.

No good experiences? Hardly but 1 stood out.

Dixons in Blanchardstown SC replaced my 2 months old DVD player after i started to refuse more and more discs.
    I counted on it that thye would send it for repair but in stead they handed over a new one, gave me a new reciept making the warranty starting that very day and on top of that refunded me the €10 the dvd player became cheaper in the mean time.
    Too bad they hardly ever really have what i am looking for as that is one of the few shops i dont mind going.

Also no complaints with O2 so far. Few queries i had were dealt with competent and fast. Now i do have an issue with their BB as well and i fear this one might not go that smooth as the first call back promise has been broken as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Also the best service I have ever experienced is the Shikansen (Bullet train) in Japan. Train is ALWAYS on time. the word late doesn't exist over there.

true. but this is the price of such efficiency:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7624164/

Investigators said the driver may have been shaken after overrunning the last station by 130 feet and falling 90 seconds behind schedule. Takami got his train operator's license in May 2004. One month later, he overran a station and was issued a warning for his mistake, railway officials and police said.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Seeing as I rantd earlier in the thread...
    Rave; Meteor. When i changed over from Vodafone (see earlier post!) my 5c calls wouldnt work. I was told to keep making calls and they would refund me on all calls and texts! When it came to the refund, I had spent thirty something euro. They credited my account with fifty and thanked me for changing!
    Rave; Tesco. I bought my brother Now 68 (or whatever the latest one is) for Christmas. I then found that he'd bought it himself already! Was sickened! I brought it back up and they had no problems exchanging it at all- she wasnt even interested in why i was bringing it back really and was just really nice about it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DID Electrical..clearwater shopping centre.Went in these to buy a washing machine,was waiting about ten minutes for anybody to come near me despite the shop being nearly empty.Eventually a fat bastard lumbered over with a scowl on his face and stood there staring at me."Hi"..no response.."i'd like to buy a washing machine"..audible tut.."around 400 euro"..another tut..and he gestured vaguely in the direction of a few machines.I asked him about thier interest free credit option and he started getting impatient as if he was tryingto describe colours to a blind man.I asked him about delivery and he just shrugged and rolled his boggly eyes up to heaven..i think he was about to tell me about it when i stormed out and left him standing there.I think his problem(apart from his weight) was he wanted to sell LED tellys,on which i presume they make a much bigger commison.Anyhoo,went to power city and they were very helpfull,even telling me how to plumb the machine in and saving me a few bob in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Was in McDonalds in Blackrock before christmas and got a takeaway coffee...Myself and my son were then at the far side of the car park (about 150 metres away) and I put my coffee on a wall whilst I did up my sons jacket..My son then karate chopped my coffee off the wall onto the floor, spilling it everywhere.

By chance, the owner of McDonalds saw this, and asked what I had and walked off, he reppeared 5 mins later with a coffee, a stirrer and some sugar!!!..and then wouldnt accept the money for it! Thumbs up for him..only something small, but kit absolutly made my day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Silverfox

Rave: So my best customer service people have to be meteor. I don't know what's in the Kool-aid but they're fantastic. I've been a customer since the start and I've saved thousands (literally) from their reward schemes, phone-a-friend-for-free and free text schemes. Their customer service line is second to none, always answered, always helpful and always solve the problem. As a pathological phone-loser/damager, I can't count the amount of times I've called meteor at 4am after my phone fell into the sink in a bar or was lost or stolen and I needed the card locked and replaced. They always helped me right away and were really nice about it.

Basically I can't say enough for them.

Rave: M&S. Basically all round good customer service and the assistants are always surprisingly perky! Food is also yum. ;)

Rant: One of my many bad experiences was with Dell. PC arrived and the screen kept pixelating. I called dell and after an hour I was told they would email me the new driver for my graphics card because that's all it needed. Of course this was not the case. I called again. This time I was eventually told my graphics card itself was the problem and it needed replacing. I was to be sent a new one which I was informed I had to install myself. It's a good thing I know a bit about computers and was able to install it - I don't know what my dad would have done!!

My card arrived and it was a reconditioned one which I thought was a bit rich considering I had payed a not-inconsiderable amount for a new pc. Needless to say though, this didn't fix the problem either. It took three more calls to Dell, during the first of which I was told to check if I just hadn't plugged the screen in properly - hilarious given that they had expected me to install the graphics card on my own. In the second call I was given the brush off and told that it was probably something that would right itself. It clearly wasn't. Finally I just lost it completely and firmly said that I wanted things fixed immediately, that I was sick of waiting, that the customer service was a disgrace and that they were to send out a technician to sort things out. That seemed to do it. They came out a day later and replaced my motherboard and everything was ok again.

It had to be said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

M & S for great customer service ALL the time. Staff could not be nicer or more polite. Same goes for our local pharmacy in Woodstown Knoclyon.

Worst customer service award goes to Arramount in Liffey Valley. Ordered a leather suite in Dec 2006 and found out SIX months later that it had never been ordered from the manufacturer! I had to chase them constantly until I got an answer and then threaten them with all sorts of adverse publicity until I got a refund of my deposit.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

name check for thread, from Conor Pope in today's Times pricewatch section:
    THERE ARE RETAILERS in Ireland who do attract praise. On the boards.ie website there is currently a thread asking people to rant or rave about the customer service they have received. Unsurprisingly, there are pages and pages of messages about people's negative experiences and only the occasional good news story. Marks & Spencer, HMV and cdwow.com all get the thumbs-up for being friendly, helpful and offering a no-fuss returns policy.

(Hi Conor <waves>)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's a nice mention. Well done everyone who has contributed.

Let's try to have some more stories about positive consumer experiences.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

dudara wrote: »
    That's a nice mention. Well done everyone who has contributed.

Let's try to have some more stories about positive consumer experiences.

dudara

Isn't the reason they're mainly negative that this used to be just a worst customer service thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Rant: GLS parcel service!
    After many, many calls to them, the longest lasting 57 minutes, I am still waiting for them to find my parcel or at the very least return a call! The parcel was due here 10 days ago. TO make it worse, the number on their website is only a 1530 number that costs x cent per minute. Only that I went the sneaky way and got a number from directories has it not cost me a small mortgage in calls!

I'm trying to think of a 'rave'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

My worst customer service award: Dell

(many many reasons, the latest being they sent out a replacement power cable for my 3 month old xps 1330 - a 2 piece power cable which not only wasn't compatible with the 1330 but both pieces of the cable weren't even compatible with each other. This is the second time in a year they've done that

My runner up worst customer service award: Paypal

My best customer service award: Macy's - In the US recently and what can I say but wow. Their sales assistants treat you like royalty...

janeybabe wrote: »
    Isn't the reason they're mainly negative that this used to be just a worst customer service thread?

yes it did - maybe we should have restarted the thread when it was renamed and sticked - it does look very unbalanced when you first look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Rave: Magnet (when I joined them back in 2005).. sent out all the kit. System didnt work. So helpdesk girl, rang the engineer who rang me at 2000 on a Friday and confirmed that it should work. Waited on the line and it was working away.

Rave: SAS. One of the guys in Dublin has to be the legend to beat all legends. Has helped me out a couple of times when I have been in need. And always with a smile. Also SAS in Oslo for sorting our hotel even when they didnt have to.

Rave: Apple Customer Care. Bought my sister Itunes vouchers for christmas. They sent out a sterling one which wouldnt work on the Irish site. Sent me a new code for the same value in euro and sent me a replacement card which also worked. Checked with them and they said have it as a way of saying sorry for the mixup.

Rant: NTL customer service.. it just sucks.

Advertisement