Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Tank Davis moving up to 140 for a minor world title

https://twitter.com/Gervontaa/status/1382829964521730048

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Any real fights?

Yeah, my mother raised her stick to one of the nurses in nursing home the other day so that will probably kick off one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Eddie has an interesting Saunders foto on his Instagram.

Some filters going around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

walshb wrote: »
    Eddie has an interesting Saunders foto on his Instagram.

Some filters going around!!

Do tell

• Advertisement

Anyone watch the BTSports card?
    Looks like Adeleye is in for an upset against Sokolowski

Sokolowski got robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Robbery

The state of Arthur saying he didn't score it and the rest of the dodging the question on if he should have got the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

I got the "W" ......
    I did what I had to do ...........

Hate that crap when they get a dodgy decision.

Denzel to win over Cash later

ASOT wrote: »
    Robbery

The state of Arthur saying he didn't score it and the rest of the dodging the question on if he should have got the win.

I gave the Pole every round. He didn’t take it too badly, looks like getting robbed is part of his job and he’s been there before.

• Advertisement

I gave the Pole every round. He didn’t take it too badly, looks like getting robbed is part of his job and he’s been there before.

Spot on, at a push could have have Adeyele the 6th but he was badly beaten.

Great first round their now.

Good stoppage, short but good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

ASOT wrote: »
    Spot on, at a push could have have Adeyele the 6th but he was badly beaten.

Great first round their now.

Just been catching up

I gave him round 3 and 6 and they were very close rounds. The other 4 were easily the Pole’s. Any fighter with a losing record taken over to fight a prospect needs a ko to get a win. Total theft.

Bentley was very poor he was asking to be ironed out the entire fight. Cash looked much stronger from the first bell. Bentley was talking about having superior footwork... he was all over the place no balance and hands down. Good stoppage slightly late if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I haven't seen the fight yet, but what in God's name was their matchmaker choosing Sokolowski for a young prospect who's fought nobody ??

If you're stepping him up against somebody who can take him the distance for the first time, don't make it against somebody who could beat anyone outside the World's top 50 when motivated and in decent shape !

Even when I saw the match up was scheduled my first thought was "**** that's risky !"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Canelo is in for an awkward tough night, I think he’ll win a close decision but it won’t be easy and I honestly don’t think it would be a massive shock if Billy Joe won it. BJS is so unlikable but he’s still very good and he’s tough to pin down. The better the opponent the better he will be I think.

Johner wrote: »
    I think Canelo is in for an awkward tough night, I think he’ll win a close decision but it won’t be easy and I honestly don’t think it would be a massive shock if Billy Joe won it. BJS is so unlikable but he’s still very good and he’s tough to pin down. The better the opponent the better he will be I think.

I hope to fook that you’re wrong..

I feel it’s a clear and dominant win for Canelo..

Even if Saunders is slippy and hard to find, he’ll lose wide for not having any offence..

He’ll lose at least 9 rounds if it goes all the way..

Canelo is far too good for Saunders, and the fact that Saunders has nothing on his shots, will make this a walk in the park for Canelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Think people are grossly underestimating how awkward BJS is also.

Don't get me wrong, fully expect Canelo to win but don't think it will be a walk him down, make him quit job.

The more motivated Saunders is the better he performs. I'm not a huge fan but he's a very decent fighter, he's not going to blast anyone out of there but he's got a very decent skillset, always thought himself and Canelo would be an interesting fight and probably one Canelo would avoid, mainly because of the risk/reward thing, BJS doesn't bring much money to table and Canelo might not look good having to make the fight himself.

But let's be honest, Canelo has gone up a few levels since and looks very impressive even at super middleweight, which I didn't think was possible.

Love to have seen him in with Froch or Andre Ward.

As Walshb says above, I'd see more a wide UD for Canelo. Canelo will be doing well to KO him, I expect BJS to try and avoid as much punishment as he can.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Think people are grossly underestimating how awkward BJS is also.

Don't get me wrong, fully expect Canelo to win but don't think it will be a walk him down, make him quit job.

The more motivated Saunders is the better he performs. I'm not a huge fan but he's a very decent fighter, he's not going to blast anyone out of there but he's got a very decent skillset, always thought himself and Canelo would be an interesting fight and probably one Canelo would avoid, mainly because of the risk/reward thing, BJS doesn't bring much money to table and Canelo might not look good having to make the fight himself.

But let's be honest, Canelo has gone up a few levels since and looks very impressive even at super middleweight, which I didn't think was possible.

Love to have seen him in with Froch or Andre Ward.

As Walshb says above, I'd see more a wide UD for Canelo. Canelo will be doing well to KO him, I expect BJS to try and avoid as much punishment as he can.

Froch and Ward for me too good

Froch is a big SMW with a solid chin, excellent overall body strength and could punch....fit as fook as well....and towering over Canelo. And won't be scared ****less like that lump, Smith was. I'd make Froch a winner here. Busier, stronger, bigger and will not be knocked out. I think he bullies the smaller Canelo all night, as well as hurts him inside fighting and outside fighting.

Ward would be too good everywhere for Canelo, as well as bigger and as strong physically, if not stronger.

I like Canelo, but he can get a little overrated in the historical sense I feel...

His best win? A razor close decision over GGG, who for me gets overrated historically as well.

Canelo has fought a lot, but were any really great at MW and SMW....? As in as great as some form years gone by? I think no way.

Froch and Ward for me too good

Froch is a big SMW with a solid chin, excellent overall body strength and could punch....fit as fook as well....and towering over Canelo. And won't be scared ****less like that lump, Smith was. I'd make Froch a winner here. Busier, stronger, bigger and will not be knocked out. I think he bullies the smaller Canelo all night, as well as hurts him inside fighting and outside fighting.

Ward would be too good everywhere for Canelo, as well as bigger and as strong physically, if not stronger.

I like Canelo, but he can get a little overrated in the historical sense I feel...

His best win? A razor close decision over GGG, who for me gets overrated historically as well.

Canelo has fought a lot, but were any really great at MW and SMW....? As in as great as some form years gone by? I think no way.

I don’t give him a prayer against either Froch or Ward. I’m not sure he’d be fit for Taylor or Hopkins either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think Froch would've had a decent shout against the Canelo of the GGG 1 fight and before (pre-clenbuterol). Think the version of Canelo these days would box his ears off though in a one sided fight to be honest. Surprised so many would pick Froch.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I don’t give him a prayer against either Froch or Ward. I’m not sure he’d be fit for Taylor or Hopkins either

Agreed. Both big MW fighters with real talent..

Canelo would have far more success against smaller MWs like Hagler...

Guys with real talent and height and reach advantage would be problematic for him..

Morrison J wrote: »
    Think Froch would've had a decent shout against the Canelo of the GGG 1 fight and before (pre-clenbuterol). Think the version of Canelo these days would box his ears off though in a one sided fight to be honest. Surprised so many would pick Froch.

Not sure what you see in Canelo from GGG 1 to now..

He has hardly looked greatly improved..

He beat a shot to bits Kovalev, who was in for a spar and nothing else...

Beat a really poor Smith, and an atrocious Yildirim.

Pretty much the same Canelo these past few years.

A prime Froch puts on an infinitely better show than Kovalev and Smith...

And Kovalev was still having success despite him sparring Canelo..

Froch is 3-4 inches taller. Bigger man, rough and strong, solid chin, good solid hitter, fit as fook, and busy..

I cannot see how Canelo easily outboxes him..Canelo will find the physical advantages an issue. Froch can box, fight, slug and rough it up.

Not sure what you see in Canelo from GGG 1 to now..

I think he's improved in loads of ways but mainly a big improvement in his gas tank. He faded in the mid rounds of that first GGG fight and had to stand on the ropes for large periods to catch a breather. He used to do that in nearly all his fights. He didn't have a good 12 rounds in him at all.

Then suddenly he stood in the pocket for 12 rounds in the rematch, upped his output and never really looked that tired. His back never touched the ropes against Kovalev or Smith recently either.

I think Froch of all fighters takes advantage of that previous dodgy gas tank. Canelo sitting on the ropes in front of him for multiple rounds would not end well.

I think these days Canelo would come forward and meet Froch toe to toe like he did in the GGG rematch and have way too much speed for him. Win clear on points.

Another joke fight announced.

Tyson v Lewis in September.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Then suddenly he stood in the pocket for 12 rounds in the rematch, upped his output and never really looked that tired. His back never touched the ropes against Kovalev or Smith recently either.

Yes, but Smith and Kovalev gave nothing....they were dreadfully cautious

So, when you know the opposition is not really bothering or pushing or threatening, it can be easier to be more relaxed and composed and your engine will not be as affected.

GGG1 saw GGG pushing the fight and pace

GGG2 saw a very timid and cautious GGG, one who tried to be overly cute. GGG in fight 2 did not attack or press near as much as in fight 1. And it was a big reason for me why he lost. He allowed Canelo control the tempo and the fight.

I juts cannot see how anything ios clear here as regards Canelo improving in many ways......

The opposition post GGG were dirt....they offered nothing.

I agree that Canelo has a speed advantage over Froch.....loads fighters did. But Canelo for me a little too small to in any way bully or trouble Froch. He also won't be as rough as Froch or as physically strong. Froch can go all night and has more volume, as well as power to really get Canelo's respect...

I think Froch ruins GGG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

As Canelo said to Bensinger the win over Chavez jnr was easy work so yes he hasnt fought anyone since GGG. I mean I was at the Fielding effort and that was shameful stuff.

Good debate on Froch there. While Canelo is more talented nobody was gonna bully Froch.

Canelo will beat Saunders but anyone disputing the latter's skills based on his woeful personality flaws is in for a surprise. Andy Lee says he will cause Canelo problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is Katie Taylor going to be under pressure at the weekend against Jonas or is this a straight forward defence for her?

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    As Canelo said to Bensinger the win over Chavez jnr was easy work so yes he hasnt fought anyone since GGG. I mean I was at the Fielding effort and that was shameful stuff.

Good debate on Froch there. While Canelo is more talented nobody was gonna bully Froch.

Canelo will beat Saunders but anyone disputing the latter's skills based on his woeful personality flaws is in for a surprise. Andy Lee says he will cause Canelo problems.

God I thought I’d imagined the fielding mismatch. What a beating. I think a hungry Kov would’ve beaten canelo too. Not many wanted to tangle with him when he was in his prime.

Yea I can see Saunders being surprisingly competitive but I don’t think Canelo will be in much danger.

I see Eubank jr calling out GGG yesterday, cherry picking a finished name?

Yes, but Smith and Kovalev gave nothing....they were dreadfully cautious

So, when you know the opposition is not really bothering or pushing or threatening, it can be easier to be more relaxed and composed and your engine will not be as affected.

GGG1 saw GGG pushing the fight and pace

GGG2 saw a very timid and cautious GGG, one who tried to be overly cute. GGG in fight 2 did not attack or press near as much as in fight 1. And it was a big reason for me why he lost. He allowed Canelo control the tempo and the fight.

I juts cannot see how anything ios clear here as regards Canelo improving in many ways......

The opposition post GGG were dirt....they offered nothing.

I agree that Canelo has a speed advantage over Froch.....loads fighters did. But Canelo for me a little too small to in any way bully or trouble Froch. He also won't be as rough as Froch or as physically strong. Froch can go all night and has more volume, as well as power to really get Canelo's respect...

I think Froch ruins GGG

I had Kovalev up in that fight by a round at the time of the stoppage iirc. Don't think he actually fought that poorly. Was one of the nights I was most impressed with Canelo though tbh. Showed improvements in that he's learnt to cut off the ring and apply educated pressure. Something he failed badly at against Lara for example. I know it was a faded Kovalev but to smother the much bigger man in a fight like that and take him out like he did was very impressive.

I think with the GGG rematch it was Canelo that forced GGG to fight more timid by coming forward and pushing GGG onto the back foot. Unfair to just say "GGG fought timid" and give no credit to Canelo for being the one dictating that imo. GGG had to fight timid as he was fighting a better counter puncher than him. Thought GGG fought similar to how he did against Lemieux basically using the jab as a stick to defend with but the difference was Canelo could counter over his jab far more effectively than Lemieux could. Was a razor close fight.

Would Canelo be able to make Froch fight more timid? Froch is a physical freak who could walk through a lot but I still think Canelo's sharp counters especially to the body would make him think twice.

If you're going to pick apart Canelo's resume I could do similar with Froch's too. It's a very good resume but there's still quite a few holes when you dissect it.

Pascal - very good win
    Taylor - good win but Taylor well up on cards and coming off a bad loss to Pavlik
    Dirrell - got the win but large majority scored it clear to Dirrell
    Kessler - Loss
    Abraham - decent win but Abraham a paper champion and not a true 168
    Ward - Loss (and completely outclassed)
    Bute - very good win
    Kessler - good win but felt he caught a faded Kessler who retired afterwards
    Groves 1 - fortunate stoppage after being outclassed for multiple rounds
    Groves 2 - very good win but one you'd say Groves was too timid in

One thing that sticks out is his struggles with speed. Ward, Taylor, Dirrell and Groves all gave him absolute nightmares. There's enough there to at least make a fighter of Canelo's class a clear favourite for me.

• Advertisement

All Froch’s wins were against real 168 lbers. Canelo is a 154-160 fighter at his best I reckon. Still very good above this, just too small for me for Froch

Froch’s resume at 168 is clearly superior to Canelo’s.

His wins over Taylor, Kessler, Pascal, Bute, Arthur etc were all against proper SMW fighters with real talent. Taylor, did move up from MW, but he was big at MW

Advertisement