Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving/Learning to swim

14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

I've been swimming for about three years now, after I joined the local triathlon in 2017 and learned the front crawl.

I've always had a difficulty in getting tired/breathless and have only completes one 400m Super Sprint in the pool.

I breath every 3rd stroke of alternating sides. What would people suggest? I tried only breathing out through my nose last weekend and was definitely better that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Every 3rd stroke on alternate sides would be the best. That said for open water triathlons I've heard it recommended to have flexibility to be able to change it up to every 2 or 4 strokes on one side, the reasoning being if swimming in the sea you may have waves approaching from one side so useful to be able to breathe just on the other side.

Surprised you found breathing out nose only better, I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference. Are you breathing out fully under water so only inhaling when face out of water?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Every 3rd stroke on alternate sides would be the best. That said for open water triathlons I've heard it recommended to have flexibility to be able to change it up to every 2 or 4 strokes on one side, the reasoning being if swimming in the sea you may have waves approaching from one side so useful to be able to breathe just on the other side.

Surprised you found breathing out nose only better, I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference. Are you breathing out fully under water so only inhaling when face out of water?

I think so and I def find it easier breathing out nose only and in through the mouth. I would have been very nervous in the water over the years so do my best to stay calm.

I have big trouble going slowly and not tiring myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've had 2 lessons so far and going ok.

Might be a stupid question, but relates to the last couple of posts.
    When you're swimming properly, do you breath out while your head is under the water, then turn your head for air, or do you hold your breath under the water and then come up for air?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I come up for air, turn head sideways till nose mouth out of water, take a breath, face down and blow out slowly as I swim and repeat in time with strokes.

When I was learning this, my coach suggested that I practise at home putting my face in sink full of water blowing bubbles and lift head out of water to get a breath. As I progressed I blew the bubbles and was turning head to side to get a breath, then face down blowing bubbles again while standing. For me it helped.

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    I come up for air, turn head sideways till nose mouth out of water, take a breath, face down and blow out slowly as I swim and repeat in time with strokes.

When I was learning this, my coach suggested that I practise at home putting my face in sink full of water blowing bubbles and lift head out of water to get a breath. As I progressed I blew the bubbles and was turning head to side to get a breath, then face down blowing bubbles again while standing. For me it helped.

OK so this is standard practice I'm guessing.

Is there any reason why you can't hold your breath while your head is in, as opposed to blowing out?
    (maybe I'll get the answer to this at my next lesson)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭irishmanmick

NIMAN wrote: »
    OK so this is standard practice I'm guessing.

Is there any reason why you can't hold your breath while your head is in, as opposed to blowing out?
    (maybe I'll get the answer to this at my next lesson)

I had a real problem with this when I was learning to swim. The reason yiu can't hold your breath under water is you won't be able to take in air when you come up for it. You need to release your breath while under water, so that when you opo your head up you take a breath in.

Can't take that breath in if your lungs are full, and you'll end up breathing out above water and breathing in when your head is back under

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I swim with both trickle and explosive breathing, depending on where I am in my set.
    During warm up, I will usually breathe explosively to ramp my heart rate and CO2 content, then after a quick rest I will switch back to trickle while I rack through my set.

Plenty of sprinters swimming in a straight arm breathing every 2nd stroke explosively

I had a real problem with this when I was learning to swim. The reason yiu can't hold your breath under water is you won't be able to take in air when you come up for it. You need to release your breath while under water, so that when you opo your head up you take a breath in.

Can't take that breath in if your lungs are full, and you'll end up breathing out above water and breathing in when your head is back under

Thanks, the OH actually answered it for me before you replied, but thanks.
    I suppose its common sense really!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭irishmanmick

NIMAN wrote: »
    I suppose its common sense really!:rolleyes:

Tell that to my brain when I have my face under water!

• Advertisement

Agree, logic goes out the window when you are under water.

I'm hoping its early days yet, and it will become second nature the more I do it, without having to concentrate on it when I'm under.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

had a swim in the shannon today nearly died:o

can't remember june water temp so cold

• Where can you learn to swim during covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Swim Ireland do a number of open water programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeirdreMalone

Just saw this reply from 2021: Swim Ireland requires that you be a member to participate in any of their sessions.😥

Post edited by DeirdreMalone on

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ax530

I recommend the Swim for a mile program.

Coaches & clinics available meet others who often end up continuing to swim together when it over

Advertisement