Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car issue

Options
  • 19-09-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Looking for advice regarding an issue.
    Just bought a second hand car from a main dealer. Car was advertised with Bluetooth and an alarm. Took the car for a test drive and was happy so paid the money.
    When I got home I started messing about trying to figure out the radio, display ect.. I tried to figure out pairing Bluetooth until. I realised there was none. There is no alarm installed either.
    Is it a case that I should have realised this before paying the money?
    Dealer is closed until Monday so haven't had a chance to contact them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Contact them, tell them you will drop the car back for them to fit a Bluetooth kit and alarm otherwise you want your money back. Tell them the alarm is essential for your insurance policy and you bought the car only because it had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Contact them, tell them you will drop the car back for them to fit a Bluetooth kit and alarm otherwise you want your money back. Tell them the alarm is essential for your insurance policy and you bought the car only because it had one.

My only issue now is that the salesman never told me directly that it had them. It was advertised on their website and carzone. Ie which has now been taken down.
    I have contacted carzone to see if I can get a copy of the add but not sure if it's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What car/year is it?

You might be able to find page using wayback machine.

Dav010 wrote: »
    What car/year is it?

You might be able to find page using wayback machine.

2013 civic
    Never heard of wayback machine

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    2013 civic
    Never heard of wayback machine

https://archive.org/web/

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/how-to-view-lost-webpages-640132?amp=1&akamai-rum=off

Looking at Honda site spec for 2013, seems to list Bluetooth and alarm, a few other listed examples also list both. Did you check owners handbook?

• Advertisement

https://archive.org/web/

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/how-to-view-lost-webpages-640132%3famp=1&akamai-rum=off

Looking at Honda site spec for 2013, seems to list Bluetooth and alarm, a few other listed examples also list both. Did you check owners handbook?

Ye checked the handbook. The handbook is for all civic models and Im unable to for the steps as my car doesn't contain some buttons to activate Bluetooth. As for the alarm, I checked by locking the doors and trying to open the door sfrom the inside.

Ye checked the handbook. The handbook is for all civic models and Im unable to for the steps as my car doesn't contain some buttons to activate Bluetooth. As for the alarm, I checked by locking the doors and trying to open the door sfrom the inside.

Does opening from inside activate alarm?

You should be able to view spec for your particular model online.

Does opening from inside activate alarm?

You should be able to view spec for your particular model online.

No it doesn't activate the alarm

No it doesn't activate the alarm

What I mean is, would opening car from inside normally cause an alarm to sound?

What I mean is, would opening car from inside normally cause an alarm to sound?

Yes it would on my previous cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd find it hard to believe that a 2013 car doesn't have a factory fitted alarm.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'd find it hard to believe that a 2013 car doesn't have a factory fitted alarm.

That's what I thought, how do I check?
    I would normally check by locking doors and open them again from the inside. There are no motion sensors either

That's what I thought, how do I check?
    I would normally check by locking doors and open them again from the inside. There are no motion sensors either

A couple of Google clicks says that an alarm was not a standard item.

But it does have an immobiliser.

Frankly, I'd prefer immobiliser to an alarm.

A couple of Google clicks says that an alarm was not a standard item.

But it does have an immobiliser.

Frankly, I'd prefer immobiliser to an alarm.

I'd prefer both to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Might be a jap import and they probably took the original one with Bluetooth etc out as their radio frequency doesent work here ,mostly that happens with hybrid jap imports, had 3 and all had this done, maybe I’m completely wrong of course ref your particular model

Might be a jap import and they probably took the original one with Bluetooth etc out as their radio frequency doesent work here ,mostly that happens with hybrid jap imports, had 3 and all had this done, maybe I’m completely wrong of course ref your particular model

How can I check if its an import. I've already told the insurance company that's its not

Shane o'donoghue took half a day to work out the Bluetooth
    https://www.carzone.ie/car-reviews/Honda-Civic-2013/212

Check YouTube for Bluetooth details

Just saw that it's the es model that has Bluetooth. The entry level SE doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

How can I check if its an import. I've already told the insurance company that's its not

Is the reg no more than 120000?
    Ie 131D 121456

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Is the reg no more than 120000?
    Ie 131D 121456

Reg is 131-29***

Reg is 131-29***

'Imports' start at 120k.
    Sounds like your car was bought in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

TheW1zard wrote: »
    'Imports' start at 120k.
    Sounds like your car was bought in ireland

My car was an import, bought from an Irish garage who imported it. Reg after county is 21*** so the 120k thing isn't true?

Caranica wrote: »
    My car was an import, bought from an Irish garage who imported it. Reg after county is 21*** so the 120k thing isn't true?

Mechanic friend told me that, it might have changed now though?!
    OP it should say on log book when it was 1st registered in ireland.

The 120k thing might only apply to jap cars, im not sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Caranica wrote: »

Yes the 120k import assigned number for Dublin is only up to 2010, after this all followed the last number issued from originally sold Irish cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you can buy Bluetooth dongle Ali express china for 7 or alarm for 25 or gps tracker 35

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you can buy Bluetooth dongle Ali express china for 7 or alarm for 25 or gps tracker 35

My main issue is the car was advertised with Bluetooth and alarm.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ring up garage and tell them it's not working, let them figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd most most Irish cars, even now, don't come with factory fitted alarms?

UPDATE
    So after much back and forth the garage has said that the advertisement was wrong and the add should not have included Bluetooth and alarm.
    They have said that as it was an error, they wouldn't be liable for the cost of fitting the devices.
    Do I have a case to take them to the small claims court for the value of the two devices which I've gotten valued at €480?I have reported the issue to Simi but not sure what they could do apart from mediation

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The defence of an error in advertisement likely isn't much use here; they never corrected the error.

Are you willing to potentially waste 25 quid on small claims if it doesn't succeed? I'd throw a claim in in this case.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The defence of an error in advertisement likely isn't much use here; they never corrected the error.

Are you willing to potentially waste 25 quid on small claims if it doesn't succeed? I'd throw a claim in in this case.

Ye no problem going down that route, I've kept most of the conversations through email so I have a good paper trail

Advertisement