Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers Sly €25 extra charge

• 31-05-2020 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone planning on using Specsavers.

Booked an appointment for last Friday and it was only when I was sat down having my Pre test, that the Optical assistant informs me that there is now an extra €25 charge for them having to use the ophthalmoscope, what with covid and all (her words)

Very underhand in my opinion to only inform customers as the test is about to begin instead of letting them know through their web site , or booking confirmation email or even when they first arrive.

I'm sure they have used the same machine on me in all my past eye tests over the years without any extra charge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Berberis wrote: »

Booked an appointment for last Friday and it was only when I was sat down having my Pre test, that the Optical assistant informs me that there is now an extra €25 charge for them having to use the ophthalmoscope, what with covid and all (her words)

Very underhand in my opinion to only inform customers as the test is about to begin instead of letting them know through their web site , or booking confirmation email or even when they first arrive.

I'm sure they have used the same machine on me in all my past eye tests over the years without any extra charge
    Refuse it. My wife went in for free eye test and glasses and they upsold her a second pair with this superduper coating etc etc. Total 250 euro or so.
    She was sent back the next day to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Had two pairs of specs delivered from glassesdirect for £64

1 x timberland
    1 x hackett

The timberland ones are €189 on specsavers. Even at two for one, the saving was over €100

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

do spec savers give you a copy of your prescription after you buy your glasses? or how do you know your prescription for glasses direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

greenttc wrote: »
    do spec savers give you a copy of your prescription after you buy your glasses? or how do you know your prescription for glasses direct?

No, but you can ask for it, have done so with other opticians before and got it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Refuse it. My wife went in for free eye test and glasses and they upsold her a second pair with this superduper coating etc etc. Total 250 euro or so.
    She was sent back the next day to cancel it.

...as in, you sent her back ??

lucky woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had an eye test with specsavers a while back and was given the prescription without asking for it.

Anyone who's used Glasses Direct - do you know if they do a sunglasses offer at all? Their website isn't clear (on the phone anyway) - I'd like to get one pair of reading glasses and one of sun lenses.

s8n wrote: »
    ...as in, you sent her back ??

lucky woman

She was a lucky woman. Because of that, she was able to pay her mortgage (which is in special arrangements)

Gotta prioritise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Darc19 wrote: »

1 x timberland
    1 x hackett

The timberland ones are €189 on specsavers. Even at two for one, the saving was over €100

Did you provide them your own prescription?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

greenttc wrote: »
    They give you the prescription but it’s incomplete, the pupil distance is missing. At least it was the last time I got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Generally, I find Specsavers to be one of the more upfront and transparent opticians to deal with. The way they deal with free PRSI eye checks is excellent and many other providers of health care could do well to follow their lead.
    The glasses price models are really easy to understand, even if they aren't always the cheapest, usually any after care repairs or adjustments to the frames are free.
    That said, the new "health screening" equipment which isn't included and does cost extra, is an optional extra, but the optometrist I dealt with wasn't a pushy sales person and took my no thanks very respectively.
    I certainly don't think Specsavers are rip off merchants in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

ka2 wrote: »
    They give you the prescription but it’s incomplete, the pupil distance is missing. At least it was the last time I got one.

Its very easy to measure your pupil distance.just you tube or Google it.plenty of guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭FluffPiece

Yeah, last time I went for an eye test, I was asked to try some samples of frames.

I tried some one but only really liked one kind of style in there and wanted to look at another time as I was busy that day. Said I didn't want any and that I would be back in a week or two to settle on a pair. A week later I got a call to say my glasses are ready and it'll be x amount.

I collected my prescription only instead and shopped online solely because of that. I've since heard it's a common enough tactic in my town as some people feel pressured into having to pay for the glasses that were made for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

if it was a PRSI or medical card eye-test I'd assume that was part of the examination and they should not add an additional charge. Get it refunded.

If you are paying them privately, it's a private business and you should agree the charges in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Rip off merchants, they are known for it, better off supporting the smaller opticians, better value also.

antix80 wrote: »
    if it was a PRSI or medical card eye-test I'd assume that was part of the examination and they should not add an additional charge. Get it refunded.

If you are paying them privately, it's a private business and you should agree the charges in advance.
    In my wifes case, it was a free glasses and free eye test on medical card. But they upsold her and shegot a bill for extras. She is to soft to say no.

I sent her back as she didnt have the spare cash for it on mortgage week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Darc19 wrote: »

1 x timberland
    1 x hackett

How do you work out your eye prescription?

I’m getting a bit fed up with Specsavers

Drumpot wrote: »

If you are buying online, you usually select the frames you like and proceed to the next page which should have labelled boxes for each eye such as;
    "Sphere"
    " Cyl"
    "Axis"

These will be listed on your prescription for each eye so just enter as appropriate. It's usually laid out neatly and very easy to follow. There are others boxes and options also, not always applicable so just enter what it says on your prescription. You will need the pupillary distance and this is not always supplied but you can see youtube videos on how to get it yourself.

Rip off merchants, they are known for it, better off supporting the smaller opticians, better value also.

In my case, it was a small local optician that pulled the stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

ka2 wrote: »

They have to give you all information, including pupil distance. If they refuse, like my local store did, just submit a request online.

I requested a copy of all my information, including dispensing information. This not only gave me the pupil distance but also the various frame types and sizes they had supplied previously. The response took less than a week. (Maybe some day I will get around to actually using the information.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

flazio wrote: »
    Generally, I find Specsavers to be one of the more upfront and transparent opticians to deal with. The way they deal with free PRSI eye checks is excellent and many other providers of health care could do well to follow their lead.
    The glasses price models are really easy to understand, even if they aren't always the cheapest, usually any after care repairs or adjustments to the frames are free.
    That said, the new "health screening" equipment which isn't included and does cost extra, is an optional extra, but the optometrist I dealt with wasn't a pushy sales person and took my no thanks very respectively.
    I certainly don't think Specsavers are rip off merchants in general.

The senior staff in my local store are pushy as hell, and aggressively try to upsell - from the type of frame to the optional extras. The pricing model is designed with a low "lead in" price with very expensive add ons. The end price is generally multiples of the basic price. I would expect the after care repairs or adjustments to the frames to be free, from any reputable supplier.

On my last visit I asked for a copy of the PD and the salesperson, who is there years told me they couldn't as there were multiple values. I insisted and she had a deep conversation with the manager for a good five minutes. She then said she would post out the prescription with the PD on it. They eventually posted out a prescription without the PD.

When I went to collect the glasses the young girl serving me threw the bag they had come back in, which included a label with the dispensing information, in the bin. I asked her for it but she said she wasn't allowed give it to customers. She was very apologetic and embarrassed- I felt sorry for her.

I cannot understand why anyone would suggest that "other providers of health care could do well to follow their lead", at least based on my experience. Just to be clear, I was very happy with the ophthalmologist and the junior staff. The issue was with the senior salesperson and the manager. Once I asked for the PD, in a very friendly manner, she lost all interest in dealing with me.

(I still left over €500 with them, but it will be the last time.)

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I had an eye test with specsavers a while back and was given the prescription without asking for it.

Anyone who's used Glasses Direct - do you know if they do a sunglasses offer at all? Their website isn't clear (on the phone anyway) - I'd like to get one pair of reading glasses and one of sun lenses.
    Yes, extra £10 to have dark lens. One of my pairs is sunglasses.

Smaller ones are as bad.

Drumpot wrote: »

I got it from the optometrist in specsavers. It was given on a specific card with all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭lazyman

Berberis wrote: »

I had an eye test with them last week and this was very much optional and I was under no pressure to have it done.

How has Covid 19 made it an extra €25 to use anyway? Big stink of cash-in off it, and we’re going to see more and more places screwing people with C19 as the catch-all excuse (see vulture like hairdressers charging customers for PPE). Stuff like this will be remembered by people I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

see vulture like hairdressers charging Customers for PPE

Well, in fairness, it is an extra cost, they did not use PPE pre-covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

They have to give you all information, including pupil distance. If they refuse, like my local store did, just submit a request online.

I requested a copy of all my information, including dispensing information. This not only gave me the pupil distance but also the various frame types and sizes they had supplied previously. The response took less than a week. (Maybe some day I will get around to actually using the information.)
    Good idea, never thought of that!

Well, in fairness, it is an extra cost, they did not use PPE pre-covid

So pay for it then, that’s running a business. Customers have had to buy their own PPE through all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So pay for it then, that’s running a business. Customers have had to buy their own PPE through all this.

All business pass their costs on to customers, it's how the world works.

Assuming the extra charge is disclosed upfront, there should be no issue. Dentists are doing the same, charging extra for PPE.

• Advertisement

Just more reason to shop online or use services outside the country where possible.

Advertisement