Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is the thing, on the revenue site it says:
    "Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage) costs."

Unless Fed-Ex have your invoice, they won't know how much you paid, and hence are going on the value declared in the shipping documentation. For insurance purposes, the shipper would always state the full value here, regardless of what you had paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

VanZan wrote: »
    I believe DX are sending it signed and unfortunately it's too late to cancel as it's been posted.
    Are you certain it is posted, do you have an actual tracking number or other 100% confirmation. Myself and a mate have experience of them saying stuff is sent when in fact it is not. What is the item? a lot of DX stuff slips through. A refurbed DS would probably not, what is worse is DX often put down a value of $10 which is rejected by customs and they can value it at RRP here, though I think you can contest this.

A girl in work got a DS on ebay and had to pay, they asked for the invoice from her -not market value as it was seen as second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

jor el wrote: »
    Unless Fed-Ex have your invoice, they won't know how much you paid, and hence are going on the value declared in the shipping documentation. For insurance purposes, the shipper would always state the full value here, regardless of what you had paid.

No the shipper included a copy of the invoice in with the paperwork on the clear envelope on the front of the parcel & on the top of the invoice in the corner it says "Packing Slip", Fed-Ex knew exactly how much I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

rubadub wrote: »
    Are you certain it is posted, do you have an actual tracking number or other 100% confirmation. Myself and a mate have experience of them saying stuff is sent when in fact it is not. What is the item? a lot of DX stuff slips through. A refurbed DS would probably not, what is worse is DX often put down a value of $10 which is rejected by customs and they can value it at RRP here, though I think you can contest this.

A girl in work got a DS on ebay and had to pay, they asked for the invoice from her -not market value as it was seen as second hand.
    I have a tracking number which says it was posted Monday. It's not a DS but a Dingoo A320.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

What is the final, definitive tool used by the Customs/VAT people for determining the C.I.F? The invoice from the seller included with the goods?

I was sent a product from China which was intended to replace a faulty unit I had already paid customs/VAT on.

The faulty unit was scrap so I held onto it, as per sellers instructions.

The new unit, which I did not pay anything on, came through.

It had no invoice for a price, merely a DHL receipt for postage, paid for by the seller.

Yet I was forced to pay to have it released into my custody on my own doorstep by a DHL employee, as it had accrued C&D/VAT liability at the point of entry.

If VAT/C&D is determined by C.I.F, and there is NO "C", merely I and F, then how did they decided I owed taxes on it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Gahh arrived home and the letter from Customs & Excise was there! Bastards! :mad: I'd say what did me in was the fact DX sent it tracked/registered and needed to be signed for. That must be a clear indication to Customs that it's valuable. I feel a total plonker :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I ordered a T-shirt from Thinkgeek.com. Based in the US

The total cost of the order was around 30 euro. Half of which was postage. It was delivered by UPS. There was 22 euro due on it.

Does anyone have a clue how they arrived at a percentage of over 50%?
    Are UPS charging that large a fee or is there some other reason?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Flash86 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a clue how they arrived at a percentage of over 50%?
    Are UPS charging that large a fee or is there some other reason?
    It could be a large fee
    VAT/Duty will be calculated and collected by the postal carrier/courier. They will apply a handling fee for this, which can be between €5 and €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I thought it could be that. I assume it's a fixed fee. Really makes it not worth while to order from thinkgeek.com . It's a shame.

Flash86 wrote: »
    The total cost of the order was around 30 euro. Half of which was postage. It was delivered by UPS. There was 22 euro due on it.

Generally, it's about 30%. €22 seems a little high, but they should give you a break down of the charges, indicating what is duty, VAT and admin charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lads, hope this wasnt covered already, but here goes. I've ordered some dresses for my daughter from Japan, total invoice was €63.
    DHL rang today to say they are being delivered and duty of just over €18 is due on them.
    I have been thinking about this since and it seems a lot.
    Do DHL add in their own handling charge or something? anyone have this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Gaspode wrote: »
    Lads, hope this wasnt covered already, but here goes. I've ordered some dresses for my daughter from Japan, total invoice was €63.
    DHL rang today to say they are being delivered and duty of just over €18 is due on them.
    I have been thinking about this since and it seems a lot.
    Do DHL add in their own handling charge or something? anyone have this before?

Hello Gaspode,

duty for dresses is likely to be 12%. If the value for customs purposes is indeed Euro 63.00, that would be Euro 7.56. Unless you are registered for VAT, 21% is charged over the invoice value plus duty, which comes to Euro 14.82. That doesn't seem to add up. I know that DHL charges a handling fee for processing an entry and collecting customs charges (Duty & VAT). Best thing is to ask for a breakdown of the charges and ask them how they are arrived at. Suggest to post again once you have the details.

Cheers,
    RUDOLF289

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

duty for dresses is likely to be 12%. If the value for customs purposes is indeed Euro 63.00, that would be Euro 7.56. Unless you are registered for VAT, 21% is charged over the invoice value plus duty, which comes to Euro 14.82.

VAT is also charged on the postage costs as pointed out in the first post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks for replies. Haven't received parcel yet, but the €63 included postage. Looks like DHL have added a bit for themselves!

There is a handling fee, and it can be up to €15. If the duty and vat come to €14, then €4 would seem rather low for a courier's fee (they normally charge the full €15).

If the duty and VAT are €18, then you could be looking at another €15 on top. You'll need to wait until you see the actual bill and amount.

snubbleste wrote: »
    VAT is also charged on the postage costs as pointed out in the first post.

Hello Snubbleste,

The Duty @ 12% comes to 7.56 and the VAT comes to 14.82 (on the basis of Euro 63.00 as the value) that makes Euro 22.38, so the Euro 18.00 levied by DHL does not make sense. As said before, you need to get the breakdown.

So post again, once you have it and we take a look at it

Cheers,
    RUDOLF289

What is the final, definitive tool used by the Customs/VAT people for determining the C.I.F? The invoice from the seller included with the goods?

I was sent a product from China which was intended to replace a faulty unit I had already paid customs/VAT on.

The faulty unit was scrap so I held onto it, as per sellers instructions.

The new unit, which I did not pay anything on, came through.

It had no invoice for a price, merely a DHL receipt for postage, paid for by the seller.

Yet I was forced to pay to have it released into my custody on my own doorstep by a DHL employee, as it had accrued C&D/VAT liability at the point of entry.

If VAT/C&D is determined by C.I.F, and there is NO "C", merely I and F, then how did they decided I owed taxes on it?

Thanks.

Hello I-drink-it-up,

I think you have a case for a refund. If the part is a warranty replacement, supplied to you Free of Charge, no duty and/or VAT should be payable. I would contest the amount levied and apply for a full refund.

Cheers,
    RUDOLF289

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Hi,

I am buying a roof bag for the car (a material alternative to a roof box) form California because it is much cheaper than normal. Overall it works out to be about E80, so through my calculations that is 16.80 in VAT. Do I need to pay duty??? Also I presume this doesn't qualify for a lower band of VAT no???

Is there any way of declaring it and paying the VAT up front so you don;t end up with the handling charge from the delivery company, it will be delivered by FedEx, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

How can they charge duty on something that costs E80 if you don't have to pay duty for anything less than $150 as stated on page 1. I know you have to pay VAT but I don't understand the duty part at all. Can anyone clarify?

Also if I were to buy vitamins from the u.s. that counts as food supplements and are VAT free in Ireland (as far as I know) does the E22 limit for VAT still apply? I mean can they charge VAT on something imported into Ireland that is VAT exempt here?

Thanks

rh5555 wrote: »
    How can they charge duty on something that costs E80 if you don't have to pay duty for anything less than $150 as stated on page 1. I know you have to pay VAT but I don't understand the duty part at all. Can anyone clarify?

Also if I were to buy vitamins from the u.s. that counts as food supplements and are VAT free in Ireland (as far as I know) does the E22 limit for VAT still apply? I mean can they charge VAT on something imported into Ireland that is VAT exempt here?

Thanks

Hello rh5555

I am not sure where the values on page 1 originate from. This is from the (attached) publication on postal imports (same applies to shipments arriving by courier or any other means)

7 Assessment and charge of duty and tax
    Entry Required
    A Customs declaration (SAD) is required for goods where:-
    (a) the declared value is €650 or more;
    (b) goods are subject to Inward Processing or Processing under
    Customs Control;
    (c) goods are destined for end use or Customs warehousing;
    (d) stamped cigarettes from outside of the EU are received (G.O.
    04/01); and
    (e) goods are subject to assay.

Entry not required
    In cases where the declared value is less than €650, packages are to be
    assessed by reference to the declaration, supplemented if necessary by
    inspection of the contents and supporting documentation contained in or
    attached to the package. The amount of Customs duty, excise duty, levies
    or CAP charges, VAT and the postal authority’s fees are to be shown on
    the “Charge Labels” which are to be affixed to the packages and collected
    by the postal authority, on delivery.

8 Gifts
    Customs duty and VAT is not payable on consignments of a value not exceeding
    €45 sent as gifts by private individuals for the personal or family use of private
    individuals. The provisions of Para. 2 of O.I. 107/05 are to be observed. Relief
    from VAT does not apply in the case of tobacco products, alcohol/alcoholic
    beverages, perfumes or toilet waters and the limits set out at Para. 3 of O.I.
    107/05 relating to the relief from Customs duty on those goods are to be
    observed. Where, after excluding the value of goods which qualified for the
    relief set out above, the total value of the remainder of the dutiable goods
    contained in a gift consignment does not exceed €350, Customs duty should be
    charged on the balance at the standard rate of 3.5% or the relevant tariff rate,
    whichever is the lower.

Goods of negligible value
    Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic
    products, perfumes or toilet waters, up to a value of €22 regardless of their
    status (private or commercial) are admitted free of Customs duty and VAT under
    the scheme commonly known as “small packages” or “de minimis” relief 3

9 Waivers/Reliefs
    VAT - Value of goods less than €260
    VAT is not to be charged on postal importations of taxable goods by a VAT-
    registered person for the purposes of his/her business to the value of €260 or
    less. In order to qualify for this relief, the importer’s VAT number must be
    quoted on the Customs declaration/green label and the VAT due will be
    accounted for by the trader on the normal VAT3 return form. Customs duty is,
    however, to be paid unless the package qualifies under the provisions set out
    below.

10 Waiver of small amounts of Customs duty
    Para 8.5 provides that where the Customs duty in any one consignment amounts
    to less than €10, the duty is to be waived. No such waiver exists in relation to
    excise duty.

11 Waiver of small amounts of VAT
    An administrative arrangement allows for the waiving of VAT where the total
    tax calculated on a consignment does not exceed €6.

Those appear to be the official rules.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement

YourName wrote: »
    Hi,

I am buying a roof bag for the car (a material alternative to a roof box) form California because it is much cheaper than normal. Overall it works out to be about E80, so through my calculations that is 16.80 in VAT. Do I need to pay duty??? Also I presume this doesn't qualify for a lower band of VAT no???

Is there any way of declaring it and paying the VAT up front so you don;t end up with the handling charge from the delivery company, it will be delivered by FedEx, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Hello YourName,

If the duty amounts to less than 10 Euro, the duty will be waived (see my previous post). VAT will be calculated at 21%.

Unless you come to an arrangement with the supplier whereby you pay them the VAT due on the consignment and they instruct the courier to bill the VAT due to them, I don't see how you can avoid paying the handling fee levied by FEDEX.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

rh5555 wrote: »

Thanks

Hello rh5555,

in relation to the VAT exemption. If the same goods are available in Ireland and are VAT free, then no VAT should be levied at the time of import, regardless of the value.

If you are being charged VAT, you should appeal that and request a refund.

Regards,
    Rudolf289

There is a handling fee, and it can be up to €15. If the duty and vat come to €14, then €4 would seem rather low for a courier's fee (they normally charge the full €15).

If the duty and VAT are €18, then you could be looking at another €15 on top. You'll need to wait until you see the actual bill and amount.

Thanks for replies all.
    As it turned out, the bill for €18.91 was from the customs, DHL didnt add anything.
    DHL have explained that the customs guys couldnt find the delivery costs on the invoice (there weren't any, delivery was free!) so they estimated it.
    The value of the goods was put down as Y6000 by the company sending the parcel, which is about €31, half the actual value. They didnt mention delivery so it looks like customs estimated it at around €45-50.

I've paid a few quid more than I should have, but not enough to be arsed chasing it back from customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Wait, so now if you get something with free shipping they just put a value on shipping anyways so they can charge you some VAT/duty. Now that is really messed up.

Whats next? If they think the company that sent you an item should have charged more, they just add a few Euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Hi,
    I just wanted to make sure that I was correct in saying that there is no customs charges from anywhere in the EU.
    I want to order an iphone from the apple online store france and use a mail forwarding service to have it forwarded to me. Does apple ship their items from france or the US.

If you order from Apple Europe, it will be posted from within the EU. VAT and duty paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hi all

i am buying an iphone 3g 16gb for 220usd including shipping.
    im a little bit worried about import tax.

i told the seller to ship it with the standard posting service of the united states which is like anpost in the USA.

is ther a possibility that i will be charged for import duties.

if so by how much.

thanks

Read post #1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Princess Fiona

Hi everyone,
    Many moons ago, it was possible to order goods from the USA and if shipped by USPS they'd normally slip through the net re. extra charges.
    Anyone know the current situation? Have heard there's been a clampdown.
    Thinking of ordering a $198 bag with free shipping but don't want to get stung with a host of extra charges.
    Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

No one can answer that, as there's no way to know what will happen. Do not buy anything from outside the EU if you're not prepared to pay the VAT and handling fee.

Advertisement