Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job medical

• 07-09-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Not a work problem but just a query. I've been scheduled for a factory job medical in a few weeks. I'm generally healthy don't smoke, active etc. I was just wondering how detailed these tests are as my b pressure does tend to spike sometimes and I get white coat sydrome as the docs call it. (basically it's people who get nervous when a doctor comes at them with a bp monitor and therefore causes a higher reading than normal)
    Never had a medical before and wondering how detailed it is and how much of a red flag to the company a high bp reading might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Is the medical for the job or the 4x life cover included with the job? Either way, why worry.
    I hear the most uncomfortable part is when they cup your balls and tell you to cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

antix80 wrote: »
    Is the medical for the job or the 4x life cover included with the job? Either way, why worry.
    I hear the most uncomfortable part is when they cup your balls and tell you to cough.

The proctological exam is worse, op, make sure they wear a glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s fine.
    Worst case they will advise you to follow it up with your gp.

I would mention it to the doc before they check to show your in tip of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Dav010 wrote: »
    The proctological exam is worse, op, make sure they wear a glove.
    I enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I enjoy that.

Ribbed glove so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Is it possible to 'fail' a medical based on prior medical history.
    In my last 2 jobs I did not have a medical and it is part of the recruitment process for a large multinational. Cancer 6 years ago while recovered not insurable for life cover:confused:

Is it possible to 'fail' a medical based on prior medical history.
    In my last 2 jobs I did not have a medical and it is part of the recruitment process for a large multinational. Cancer 6 years ago while recovered not insurable for life cover:confused:

Not sure if that's a question or a statement.

Some jobs require a medical to ensure you're healthy enough to do the job. Employers have a duty of care towards you and your coworkers and customers.

Many employers offer 4x life cover.
    This is subject to medical underwriting.
    Underwriting can include a medical questionnaire and for higher sums can include a medical.
    So if I completed a questionnaire that flagged cancer or a family history of cancer, underwriters could decline cover - or they might request further info from me, my gp, or the consultant. On that basis they could decline cover.

If the questionnaire didn't reveal anything, but my salary was €250000, they might require a medical as the sum insured is now €1000000. The medical can reveal things like my BMI (i could have lied on the questionnaire), and it could include blood tests to reveal illnesses i didnt even know i had.

So yes, you can fail your medical without doing a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Yes it was a question.
    I had cancer 6 years ago and now recovered.
    Both my last 2 employers knew about my history and neither positions required a medical as small companies.
    Have applied to a large multinational and part of the process is a medical and I am wondering can I be rejected / fail in the recruitment process based on this history.

Of course not. You might not be allowed to join their life assurance scheme but that's their life assurance provider's decision.

A pilot with epilepsy may be declined a job. As might a creche worker with schizophrenia, or an electrician who's colourblind

Advertisement