Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Read the whole thread and looking for some advice. Four bed detached with concrete outer walls and timber inside. Virgin 500Mbps coming into the room in the front of the house. Got 480 on the laptop in that room and 220 in the bedroom above. I currently use an old Zyxel PLA powerline adapter to the attic where I have a couple of servers and to the alarm system (under the stairs). On the computers in the attic I get 30Mbps because the adapters are old and the electric circuits in the house are a mess. One corner in the kitchen is also a blackhole.

Got a new laptop for WFH and wifi in the attic is abysmal. As soon as I step out of the attic I get 110Mbps on the laptop but on my desk I get 1-2 Mbps using the 5GHz network. Funnily enough I get a consistent 10-20Mbps both in the kitchen and on my attic desk with 2.4GHz but with 5GHz I keep dropping the connection. The huge difference in and out the attic door makes me think some insulation or foil in the attic floor is causing problems. Or maybe its just the ****ty Virgin Hub wifi AP.

Running cat6 up to the attic is possible as it is an almost straight line up. But it requires drilling and cutting the drywall and while I could do the job it will probably take a lot of time and cursing. So I will likely hire someone to do it but that still doesn't solve the 5GHz band issue in the kitchen. I may end up doing this eventually but I need a solution in the interim.

So my options are:
    1) Get two extenders one for the plug point just outside the attic and another for the kitchen. TPLink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet/dp/B07ZWBBPQN
    2) Get the Netgear Orbi RBK13 https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Whole-Wi-Fi-Network-System/dp/B07YQGS2W8/ Sattelites don't have an ethernet plug.
    3) Get the Huawei Q2 Pro.
    4) Get a proper Wifi router in the hope that fixed connections drops and other issues: Say like the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart Wifi Router (R7800) or TPLLink Archer (used to be vey popular here a few years ago)

Not looking to shell out for a tri-band system as I only need to do video calls in the attic and will eventually run cat6 to the attic.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sounds to me like mesh is the way to go, 1 main and 3 spots I'd say, main unit downstairs by the router, another 1 upstairs, 1 in the kitchen and then 1 in the attic. I'd imagine 1 of the mesh with build in LAN would suit you best if you have servers in the attic, save you converting them to wifi, maybe a small hub in the attic off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So to update where I am, had the huawei Q2 which was working. It worked great with 3 units but once I started to connect all 6 it seemed to have some difficulty. I had issue with units dropping off the app. Then the app would not open if I was in that hotspot.

I think the issue was I had too many of the main units and it would have worked better with the smaller satellites. When I disconnected all the units and left 3’ it was far more stable. It even worked in the office which ran off a 30m extension to top of garden

As usual as people have seen on this thread was the usual, ether sell or return. I couldn’t be bothered so in returned on Friday

I have replaced already, as my old TP-link plug system worked for 3 years previous I decided to go back to TP-link. I bought the Deco P9 3 main units and have installed. I also bought the Deco E3 add on units. So far the P9 have only arrived so will be interesting to see how stable with the multiple units are connected

The Huawei Q2 kit was good, I think the app needs some work compared to Linksys for one. Now the TP-Link app is not incredible either

For the price and if just buying 3 units then huawei. Let’s see how the TP-link works out, if not I might be divorced:-)

garo wrote: »
    Read the whole thread and looking for some advice. Four bed detached with concrete outer walls and timber inside. Virgin 500Mbps coming into the room in the front of the house. Got 480 on the laptop in that room and 220 in the bedroom above. I currently use an old Zyxel PLA powerline adapter to the attic where I have a couple of servers and to the alarm system (under the stairs). On the computers in the attic I get 30Mbps because the adapters are old and the electric circuits in the house are a mess. One corner in the kitchen is also a blackhole.

Got a new laptop for WFH and wifi in the attic is abysmal. As soon as I step out of the attic I get 110Mbps on the laptop but on my desk I get 1-2 Mbps using the 5GHz network. Funnily enough I get a consistent 10-20Mbps both in the kitchen and on my attic desk with 2.4GHz but with 5GHz I keep dropping the connection. The huge difference in and out the attic door makes me think some insulation or foil in the attic floor is causing problems. Or maybe its just the ****ty Virgin Hub wifi AP.

Running cat6 up to the attic is possible as it is an almost straight line up. But it requires drilling and cutting the drywall and while I could do the job it will probably take a lot of time and cursing. So I will likely hire someone to do it but that still doesn't solve the 5GHz band issue in the kitchen. I may end up doing this eventually but I need a solution in the interim.

So my options are:
    1) Get two extenders one for the plug point just outside the attic and another for the kitchen. TPLink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet/dp/B07ZWBBPQN
    2) Get the Netgear Orbi RBK13 https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Whole-Wi-Fi-Network-System/dp/B07YQGS2W8/ Sattelites don't have an ethernet plug.
    3) Get the Huawei Q2 Pro.
    4) Get a proper Wifi router in the hope that fixed connections drops and other issues: Say like the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart Wifi Router (R7800) or TPLLink Archer (used to be vey popular here a few years ago)

Not looking to shell out for a tri-band system as I only need to do video calls in the attic and will eventually run cat6 to the attic.

Any suggestions?

Your best value is get the huawei

Don’t worry about the electricity, they will work out your lines anyway. For a standard house which only need 3 units they seem to work perfect, I only had issue when I added 4,5,6 onto it

Thanks both. Assume box has a decent return policy? I still see Q2 pro at 139 for the 3pk. My concern with using Huawei as the power line adapter is if I can operate the Zyxel powerline for the alarm alongside since I need a wired connection for the alarm base unit. I don’t need a lot of bandwidth for the alarm. And tbh I am ok with the 30Mbps for the server though obviously it would be nice if I could get more. The issue is more the lack of Wi-Fi and the 5Ghz connection dropping all the time causing me to have to choose between stability and speed on those two locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks both. Assume box has a decent return policy? I still see Q2 pro at 139 for the 3pk. My concern with using Huawei as the power line adapter is if I can operate the Zyxel powerline for the alarm alongside since I need a wired connection for the alarm base unit. I don’t need a lot of bandwidth for the alarm. And tbh I am ok with the 30Mbps for the server though obviously it would be nice if I could get more. The issue is more the lack of Wi-Fi and the 5Ghz connection deoppong all the time causing me to have to choose between stability and speed on those two locations.

My neighbour bought them and hasn't had much success. Anyone had issues using them with Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I am also looking at a mesh system, mainly to to extend coverage to the garden and a back kitchen so looking for recommendations.

The house is an extended semi D so not enormous and existing coverage is OK with the exception of the back kitchen extension and the garden.

I have an eir wifi router with a Home plug to get service to the set top box, a few Hue bulbs, Sonos speakers in five rooms, Ring doorbell and Ring floodlight camera in the garden, three Alexa devices, a couple of TP smart plugs and wifi enabled Siemens ovens as well as the usual smartphones, tablets and a laptop. The Ring floodlight camera is running of a TPlink wifi extender which is just about adequate. I want to put in another couple of wifi security cameras. Additional CAT cabling is not feasible.

Are the cheaper mesh systems like the TP link Deco E4 or the BT Mini going to be adequate and compatible with the existing devices or do I need to look at something else?

My neighbour bought them and hasn't had much success. Anyone had issues using them with Sky?

You mean the Q2 Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

You mean the Q2 Pro?

Yes, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I put in 2* Q2pro packs, have a virgin router. All on WiFi, no structured cabling. works well but I've noticed that I need to switch the virgin router off/on once every 2 weeks. I'm on a 250mb/s pack and can measure 220 in the same room and 110 around the house, furthest point its down at 50mb/s. Thought that's a big drop but it works for what I'm doing.
    Note I have the WiFi from the virgin router disabled, read somewhere that should be done so I did, not sure if it helps but I think when I did it I did notice a slight improvement.
    Only issue is the app doesn't allow you to select powerline over WiFi, id like the option to be able to do that.
    Overall I'm happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement

I put in 2* Q2pro packs, have a virgin router. All on WiFi, no structured cabling. works well but I've noticed that I need to switch the virgin router off/on once every 2 weeks. I'm on a 250mb/s pack and can measure 220 in the same room and 110 around the house, furthest point its down at 50mb/s. Thought that's a big drop but it works for what I'm doing.
    Note I have the WiFi from the virgin router disabled, read somewhere that should be done so I did, not sure if it helps but I think when I did it I did notice a slight improvement.
    Only issue is the app doesn't allow you to select powerline over WiFi, id like the option to be able to do that.

Right thanks. I'm gonna give it a go as Box have an open box item - probably Shefwedfan's return :eek:. I'll report back here on how it performs.

Gerry T wrote: »

You mean you cannot switch via app but only by going to the physical devices?

Right thanks. I'm gonna give it a go as Box have an open box item - probably Shedwedfan's return :eek:. I'll report back here on how it performs.

Haha haha

Probably!! I returned everything even the little plastic things on the plugs :-)

One poster on this thread appears to like buying and returning every product they buy, but not before recommending it to multiple other posters as the only solution to their problems who then also have to return the products when they find them sub par. I would suggest ignoring the advice of those who can’t seem to make their minds up and try going with posters who were happy to pay a bit extra for a solution that works, that they’re happy with and that they don’t plan on returning.

On that note, given you don’t have a huge house to cover and your existing connection is working reasonably well, I would recommend google nest. I have a very similar setup to you but was getting patchy and inconsistent coverage. The nest has done exactly what it says on the tin and I now have fast reliable speeds in every room in the house. I couldn’t be happier with it and if you read down through the comments you’ll see others have had an identical experience.

You’ll a pay premium for it but it works and you won’t find yourself sending it back to try the next one, and the next one and so on and so on.

I guess this is aimed at me. So I will respond but I dont remember recommending any product as solution. I have said the Huawei is incredible value for money which it is.

Linksys Dual Band: First system. Nice app. Struggled for performance across the house with 3 units.

BT Whole House Dual Band: Upgraded as this had higher speeds and thought this might help: The Linksys Dual Band was superior I found to this system. The issue was not speed but using a Dual band

Linksys Tri-Band: Best system so far, coverage was great but for my house I required additional 2 units. I should have just stayed with it and bought the units but felt I could get better value. Linksys aware etc was a huge plus

Huawei Q2: Bought as I could get 6 units for the same price as 3 Linksys tri-band. The powerline helped but as the mini satellites where not available once I went over 3 units it was flaky. As I posted this meant "losing" units and to get them back meant a full restart of each box on the netwrok. The app not allowing you to restart the netwrok which other did was a bit painful

Tp-Link: THis was the unit I was going to buy instead of the Huawei but the value of Huawei was so good. So far seems to be a lot more stable but only 3 units connected. Rest are arriving today. No issues so far. The powerline works but I expected it too as when I started this it was to replace a TP-link powerline kit.

I think I have been at pains to say mulitple times the units I would buy would be the Linksys tri-band and especially in a two storey house. My house is a badly laid out bugalow with an office at top of garden. Powerline is going to suit it better. The linksys app is hugely better than naything else I have seen and most are not close to it in functionality. Even the TP-Link which I was surprised at.

The google nest, for a start it is dual band. So no its not fast. It is hugely overpriced as well. None of the system bar the Huawei have issues with firmware or stability.

Your paying a premium for google name but not the technology. A good dual band system costs nearly half the price to the google system.

Im not saying google is bad, just I think it is overpriced. You can check external reviews and from people on here but Tri-Band for high performance is a minimum. Next step is running ethernet cables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I find all the information useful personally...

You mean you cannot switch via app but only by going to the physical devices?
    My understanding is the unit decides if it will connect on the mesh via power-line or wifi. You can't pick yourself.
    I had 5 units in the house and saving one for a garden room that's going in later this yr. I needed 5 as the house layout is not 2 up/down. I've a 3 storey return 8ft ceilings with the main part of the house with 12ft ceilings, means the wifi is practically always going through at least 2 walls.
    Like another poster said it seemed to be flakey but I put the 6th unit in and re-positioned them all so there was only 1 wall between units and the system is stable and giving good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

To Shefwedfan

Would linksys triband be good enough for a bungalow. Does it have any back haul.

What about netgear orbi. How do you find them..

kala85 wrote: »
    To Shefwedfan

Would linksys triband be good enough for a bungalow. Does it have any back haul.

What about netgear orbi. How do you find them..

The Orbi and Linksys Triband both have a seperate hidden 5Ghz wifi network as a back haul. You cannot connect devices to that network. It is used for internode communication.

I haven't tried the Orbi, mostly because they seems to be in the extra crazy money bracket. But I think someone on here had them and said they where excellent. The reviews I have seen as well suggest they are excellent.

What size bungalow? also is it fairly compact as in you have 3 spots you can place the units which will cover the entire house? My house is a mess and bit of the house sticking in all directions so hard to get the coverage without additional units

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME0714560

This also looks like a decent price for a tri-band system. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned before. And is a lot less expensive than the tri-band Netgear Orbi systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm about to move from an apartment to a 2 storey house so I presume I'm going to need to make some upgrades.

I currently have TP Link Archer C7 which supports Mesh. What's my best option - add something to that or go with a new setup?

Move to the house first and see if you even need something?
    Or run cat5 before you move in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The freebie router you'll get from the ISP is fine for most Irish houses, your C7 definitely will be, if you want to upgrade when you're there because of garden or deadspots then look into it, no point in doing it before hand imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Move to the house first and see if you even need something?
    Or run cat5 before you move in?

Cat5e would be the minimum standard, preferably cat6, for future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Gerry T wrote: »
    My understanding is the unit decides if it will connect on the mesh via power-line or wifi.

If you are talking of the "Huawei wifi Q2 Pro" then this is not totally correct, there is an option to disable the PLC, under "More Functions" there is a section "PLC Settings"

If you are talking of the "Huawei wifi Q2 Pro" then this is not totally correct, there is an option to disable the PLC, under "More Functions" there is a section "PLC Settings"

Yea but making the unit go on powerline would be nice but at least it has the smarts to decide which is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

I have Cat 5e ran everywhere & gigabit switches, so I reckon a dual band system will do the job.

Bought the Linksys Velop Intelligent Whole Home WI-FI Mesh System 3-Pack AC3600 off Box on Saturday. £150 including delivery.

First time ordering off Box. What’s the story with delivery & tracking? Delivery is supposed to be by DPDTWODAY.
    Box order page just says ‘Paid’. Will it change to let me know it’s dispatched, or give me a tracking number?

I have Cat 5e ran everywhere & gigabit switches, so I reckon a dual band system will do the job.

Bought the Linksys Velop Intelligent Whole Home WI-FI Mesh System 3-Pack AC3600 off Box on Saturday. £150 including delivery.

First time ordering off Box. What’s the story with delivery & tracking? Delivery is supposed to be by DPDTWODAY.
    Box order page just says ‘Paid’. Will it change to let me know it’s dispatched, or give me a tracking number?

Yes it changes, dispatch can take a while it seems with them. Especially with Ireland you can only pick 5 - 10 days or something like that and not next day

Once it ships it was very quick for me. It goes DPD and I think I had maybe 2 days later, 3 at most.

degsie wrote: »
    Cat5e would be the minimum standard, preferably cat6, for future proofing.
    Apologies. Yes I would run cat6. I just say cat5 out of habit. Dating myself.

• Advertisement

Not a bad price. That's dual band just like the Huawei but with a better app and pedigree. I ordered Sunday and mine shipped today. Expecting it tomorrow or Friday.

Advertisement