Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Increase without notice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I contacted RTB and they said:
    "The landlord would have to produce evidence to show it was delivered to this address if this was the case."
    They suggested getting free legal advice from Threshold who said:
    if you have not received formal written rent review notice then this increase is invalid so therefore you should not pay increase

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/how-to-deal-with-rent-increases/
    This link will give you more information on this and help you go forward with this issue.

If the landlord/agent is insisting on the increase you can take a dispute with the residential tenancies board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Time wrote: »
    Neither of the two parties here can definitively prove it was delivered or that it wasn’t. The RTB will have to look at this on balance of probabilities and on that the Agency has a lot of backup while the tenant has none.

The burden of proof surely lies with the agency though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

MacDanger wrote: »
    It's evidence that they posted something to somebody but it's not evidence that they posted something to the OP

If they say they posted it to the o/p, it is evidence that they posted it to the o/p.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Neither of the two parties here can definitively prove it was delivered or that it wasn’t. The RTB will have to look at this on balance of probabilities and on that the Agency has a lot of backup while the tenant has none.

I've been paying rent increases here for 9 years without issue, I'd say the probability is that I do pay them when I receive them.

If they say they posted it to the o/p, it is evidence that they posted it to the o/p.

What?! :pac:

• Advertisement

The agency would have to lead evidence of service. Once they do, the tenant would have to rebut it.

So do you think that the RTB would accept it as "evidence to show it was delivered to this address"?

The agency would have to lead evidence of service. Once they do, the tenant would have to rebut it.

Do you have a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The RTB isn’t a court, they’ll look at both sides but again the agency has a lot of documentary evidence that the tribunal can’t just ignore. Just because they can’t demonstrate the tenant opened and read the letter, doesn’t mean they’ll lose. That’d be a ridiculous standard to impose on them.

The RTB isn’t a court, they’ll look at both sides but again the agency has a lot of documentary evidence that the tribunal can’t just ignore. Just because they can’t demonstrate the tenant opened and read the letter, doesn’t mean they’ll lose. That’d be a ridiculous standard to impose on them.

Does the agency have this though? They have a document that says they posted a letter on 29th Sept but no documented record of the addressee. If the OPs address was written on that paper, I'd agree with you but without it, I think the proof of postage is basically worthless

• Advertisement

So do you think that the RTB would accept it as "evidence to show it was delivered to this address"?

The agency only has to show it was posted to the address, not delivered to the address.

Does the agency have this though? They have a document that says they posted a letter on 29th Sept but no documented record of the addressee. If the OPs address was written on that paper, I'd agree with you but without it, I think the proof of postage is basically worthless

Well put it this way, if they can show that they have several letters dated that day, all sent registered post, but only this tenant says they didn’t receive one, even though an post say they were all delivered then I can’t see why that wouldn’t be sufficient.

The fact an posts systems don’t have the address isn’t the agencys fault, so it can’t be held against them. Otherwise anybody could lie and that would be enough, clearly that’s an untenable scenario

Well put it this way, if they can show that they have several letters dated that day, all sent registered post, but only this tenant says they didn’t receive one, even though an post say they were all delivered then I can’t see why that wouldn’t be sufficient.

The fact an posts systems don’t have the address isn’t the agencys fault, so it can’t be held against them.

They didn't use registered post as far as I'm aware.

The fact that the agency chose to use a system that doesn't record the addressee details is the agency's fault. As it stands, they cannot prove that they posted a valid rent review to the OPs address

I think the standard here should be that they use registered post, like the RTB told me. They just don't because it would cost them money.
    Nor do they choose the signature option with express post, again it costs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The agency only has to show it was posted to the address, not delivered to the address.

But it appears that they have not shown this.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    But it appears that they have not shown this.

They haven't been asked to show anything yet. A dispute hasn't been started yet.

As things stand threshold and RTB are indicating to me to not pay. RTB said they need proof to show it was delivered to this address, and they don't have it. Threshold say I did not receive it and therefore that I should not pay the increase.

The fact that the agency chose to use a system that doesn't record the addressee details is the agency's fault. As it stands, they cannot prove that they posted a valid rent review to the OPs address

They can give evidence. The evidence will have to be rebutted. It will be a matter for the Tribunal to determine who to believe.

What?! :pac:

have you a problem?

They can give evidence. The evidence will have to be rebutted. It will be a matter for the Tribunal to determine who to believe.

Yet again, what is your point? Do you have anything constructive to add?

• Advertisement

As things stand threshold and RTB are indicating to me to not pay. RTB said they need proof to show it was delivered to this address, and they don't have it. Threshold say I did not receive it and therefore that I should not pay the increase.

100% agree with that.

Have you heard anything since from the agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MacDanger wrote:

They might have an internal database that shows 7 rent increases due and a post receipt showing 7 letters sent.

It's not high court evidence standards that are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Can random numbers on a receipt be considered evidence?
    An post mention D7 but hardly proves anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They haven't been asked to show anything yet. A dispute hasn't been started yet.

If they had anything I'm pretty sure they would have shown it when they sent the an post receipt.
    Instead all they sent was that receipt which shows they posted some letters, no more details on who sent to .

If I was OP I wouldn't be accepting that, I would put money aside so that if in the end you have to pay you have the money there. But I would be waiting on proper notice from them.

Post 6 has an image with a list of tracking numbers. If the postal system doesn’t offer the addresses then no it’s not, as that’s beyond their control and it’s perfectly reasonable for a business to use the national postal system. Also signatures aren’t being taken the past year for Covid reasons

You’re also making the mistake of assuming that they have to prove anything, they don’t, that’s not the standard in use.

Again, balance of probabilities applies. If someone could just lie in order to bypass that, the system would be unworkable.

I think the standard here should be that they use registered post, like the RTB told me. They just don't because it would cost them money.

I thought they had sent it registered? What are the tracking numbers in your second post from? Signature isn’t being taken now anyway due to Covid so that wouldn’t show anything regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yet again, what is your point? Do you have anything constructive to add?
    I think the point is the agent's word that that is the receipt is in itself evidence that would have to be considered. Not proof mind. I'm not sure if that's any better than just giving their word that it was posted and not producing a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ie exactly what you were told on here?

I thought they had sent it registered? What are the tracking numbers in your second post from? Signature isn’t being taken now anyway due to Covid so that wouldn’t show anything regardless.

They sent it using express post, basically faster post with some sort of tracking. You have an option for €2 to get a signature, or can pay more for proper registered post like the RTB said should be the standard.

They never send it registered, even before covid, usually they just drop it in the letterbox themselves as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

they sent it express post which is actually more expensive then registered post

Advertisement