Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emergency Call Takers and Incident Creation Representatives in An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Are you referring to the "supplementary information" section? If so I always put in information to support my application. Such as voluntary experience etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Pondering applying for this, read the 25 page job details and i fit well enough but it will be my first time applying for a job in over twenty years so i'm going to need to read the previous thread i guess.

Pondering applying for this, read the 25 page job details and i fit well enough but it will be my first time applying for a job in over twenty years so i'm going to need to read the previous thread i guess.

Sure why not? :) The shift work will put off a lot of people. As I assume that it won't suit some!

I'm amazed that this thread isn't more active! :confused: Is there anyone else applying for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Did they always have aptitude tests for these roles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

What's the starting salary? I can't open the link on my phone.

Thanks

What's the starting salary? I can't open the link on my phone.

Thanks

25k-40k
    EB_2013 wrote: »
    Did they always have aptitude tests for these roles?

Yes, the tests are essentially timed typing tests, if it's the same as the last recruitment!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Timed typing?. Hmm, my pidgin method is fast enough but should i be considering learning touch typing??

Timed typing?. Hmm, my pidgin method is fast enough but should i be considering learning touch typing??

I'm in the same position as yourself and I have considered learning touch typing. But...I am too slow at it. I am talking 10 words per minute when I keep my fingers on the home row. So I think personally, that wouldn't see me very far in such a competition. Ultimately it's up too you, I guess really depends how fast you can learn touch typing in. You know?

Edit: From what I can remember, the tests consisted of someone calling and giving personal details and it has to be input to the correct sections. I got called for the second stage, where the tests were supervised and I was under the illusion that my current job would go places, so I didn't attend it.. :D However, my job went no where... So I had major regrets..

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

job seeker wrote: »
    Yes, the tests are essentially timed typing tests, if it's the same as the last recruitment!

Thanks, that's good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

I applied today as well! I wonder how long recruitment takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niteclubbecks

Shau_98 wrote: »
    I applied today as well! I wonder how long recruitment takes.
    I’m tempted to apply today.
    What’s the application form like does anyone know? Also what’s the aptitude tests like?

I’m tempted to apply today.
    What’s the application form like does anyone know? Also what’s the aptitude tests like?
    Fairly basic, you fill them out online just asks name address DOB past employment and qualifications.
    Don't think aptitude tests are until mid January from the booklet I read.

Fairly basic, you fill them out online just asks name address DOB past employment and qualifications.
    Don't think aptitude tests are until mid January from the booklet I read.

Be interesting to see what the aptitude tests are like

Be interesting to see what the aptitude tests are like

Ive taken the ESB aptitude test and passed but it was kind of awkward. I wonder will there be a typing question?
    Just curious as to what they're looking for in applications.

Ive taken the ESB aptitude test and passed but it was kind of awkward. I wonder will there be a typing question?
    Just curious as to what they're looking for in applications.

Why was it awkward?

Why was it awkward?

Just some of the questions were very specific and required past knowledge on certain things.
    The maths and English part was actually grand and got gradually harder the more your progressed.

I doubt they will use similar methods for this assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bamboozle1982

I have just seen the positions advertised and I will apply before deadline. looks like a good job and I prefer shift work to the Monday to Friday groundhog day grind. Does anyone know what the shifts are. I know there are 2x days shifts followed by 2 x night shifts but what are the actual start/finish times. thanks

They should be 7 to 7.

bubblypop wrote: »
    They should be 7 to 7.

(Shifts cover 24/7/365 and therefore include nights. The pattern is: two days from 08.00 to 18.00; the following two days from 14.00 to midnight; and the following two days from 22.00 to 08.00. These are followed by four rest days.)

• Advertisement

(Shifts cover 24/7/365 and therefore include nights. The pattern is: two days from 08.00 to 18.00; the following two days from 14.00 to midnight; and the following two days from 22.00 to 08.00. These are followed by four rest days.)

thanks, it says those shift times Castlebar, not the call taker role, for that it says 4 days on 12 hour shifts 2 days followed by 2 nights then 4 days off but doesn't give shift times

That's not what they work in the control centre in dublin.
    It's 7 to 7

thanks, it says those shift times Castlebar, not the call taker role, for that it says 4 days on 12 hour shifts 2 days followed by 2 nights then 4 days off but doesn't give shift times

Sorry I didn’t realize. I’d say 8 to 8

Has anyone applied for Waterford? ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

bubblypop wrote: »
    They should be 7 to 7.

The shifts in the control rooms are 4 on 4 off12 hour tours.

07.00-19.00 days x 2 followed by 19.00-07.00 x 2 nights

the Dublin job is currently based in Harcourt St, it says behind Houston Station from 2022. either location is fine but if it was to move anywhere remote or not central that would mean it would not be doable for me as I don't drive. as its basically a call centre it could in theory move anywhere and that's a bit of a worry and makes me a bit reluctant but I will probably apply anyway and ask these questions if it comes to that. I am currently an EO but would be reverting to CO scale. I presume this can be done? I would actually be on more at top of EO scale with allowances but if could no longer do shifts due to not being able to reach location it would ruin my pension and I only have 10 years to go until planned retirement. If I got this job I would plan on staying until retirement

the Dublin job is currently based in Harcourt St, it says behind Houston Station from 2022. either location is fine but if it was to move anywhere remote or not central that would mean it would not be doable for me as I don't drive. as its basically a call centre it could in theory move anywhere and that's a bit of a worry and makes me a bit reluctant but I will probably apply anyway and ask these questions if it comes to that. I am currently an EO but would be reverting to CO scale. I presume this can be done? I would actually be on more at top of EO scale with allowances but if could no longer do shifts due to not being able to reach location it would ruin my pension and I only have 10 years to go until planned retirement. If I got this job I would plan on staying until retirement

I meant on more at top of CO scale with allowances than currently on as EO

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Span Molby

The building in Heuston is a brand new purpose built facility, so not likely to move anywhere after 2022

The shifts in the control rooms are 4 on 4 off12 hour tours.

07.00-19.00 days x 2 followed by 19.00-07.00 x 2 nights

Which is what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

Span Molby wrote: »
    The building in Heuston is a brand new purpose built facility, so not likely to move anywhere after 2022

Agreed, and obviously that’s based on the new facility actually being ready in the first place by ‘22

Advertisement