Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez..... I have never bought anything over €150 from Amazon.

So - nothing changes for me IF they continue to offer free postage.

I but stuff from Ebay thru Addresspal from UK - again nothing over €150. So - only change for me is new AddressPal fee is €6.50 instead of €3.95.

... so no real biggie for me after 01 Jan. OR have I missed something??
    Buying stuff through AddressPal could cost a good bit more as any parcels coming through them that get hit by customs will carry a €10 An Post admin fee on top of everything else. Might not be economical.

Edit: Actually, if you buy through AddressPal, you could end up paying VAT on the double. UK VAT as it will have a GB delivery address and then Irish VAT when accesed by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Is the following correct ?

If I (living in Ireland) keep paying for Prime with Amazon UK post-Brexit, I can keep Free Delivery.
    All items under €150 and more than €22 have VAT only added which Amazon UK already adds on so no change there.
    So it's just items over €150 I need to worry about.
    Correct ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SusanC10 wrote: »

If I (living in Ireland) keep paying for Prime with Amazon UK post-Brexit, I can keep Free Delivery.
    All items under €150 and more than €22 have VAT only added which Amazon UK already adds on so no change there.
    Correct ?

Until July 1st when the €22 threshold is abolished. That seems to be the state of play at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

whiterebel wrote: »
    Until July 1st when the €22 threshold is abolished. That seems to be the state of play at the moment.

What about things under 22 euro? And is that 150 per order or per person? If I order something worth 100 eurot this month and 100 euro next month, is that cool or I get customs on the second order?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Anybody know if you can get a gift card balance on .co.uk over to .de?

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    What about things under 22 euro? And is that 150 per order or per person? If I order something worth 100 eurot this month and 100 euro next month, is that cool or I get customs on the second order?
    Everything is per consignment. No VAT on consignments under €22 in value until July 1st. If buying multiple items, split them into multiple orders, each of less than €150 value if at all possible.

No word from Amazon on free Irish delivery yet but they haven't said they're ending it. I don't see why they would either.

Quackster wrote: »
    Everything is per consignment. No VAT on consignments under €22 in value until July 1st. If buying multiple items, split them into multiple orders, each of less than €150 value if at all possible.

No word from Amazon on free Irish delivery yet but they haven't said they're ending it. I don't see why they would either.

That's good. Guess only further issue will be if prime delivery becomes a lot slower

titan18 wrote: »
    That's good. Guess only further issue will be if prime delivery becomes a lot slower
    I would assume Revenue will regard Amazon UK as a retailer that can be safely trusted to properly declare their consignments and so will carry out pretty limited spot-checks of their packages. So hopefully any additional delay going through customs clearance will be fairly minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Anybody know if you can get a gift card balance on .co.uk over to .de?

Usually not they were pretty clear on this last time I checked it

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

SusanC10 wrote: »

Correct ?

I just finished watching the RTE news and this was what they stated too. If that's the case, then this change is not as much of a problem as I thought.

Up to now, it was my understanding that anything over €22 would be subject to import tax. If it's only items over €150, how come I've had to pay import tax (and An Post fees on top) for items I've bought from the US? That's why I thought it was anything over €22, not over €150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I just finished watching the RTE news and this was what they stated too. If that's the case, then this change is not as much of a problem as I thought.

Up to now, it was my understanding that anything over €22 would be subject to import tax. If it's only items over €150, how come I've had to pay import tax (and An Post fees on top) for items I've bought from the US? That's why I thought it was anything over €22, not over €150.

I'd like to know this too, I always got customs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

€150 is for Duty. VAT is charged when Cost + Freight is more than €22. € The €22 is being abolished on July 1st 2021.

All explained here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I’m not that bothered by this TBH. Seems to me that if, like me you spend less than €150 Per order, not much changes, apart from Prime and delivery.

I shop as much as I can from Irish suppliers, but it is often so much easier to search, find, read review, order from Amazon/Bezo.. Kindle books will be there anyway no matter what the charge is so I will still use that. As you were....

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

sugarman wrote: »
    VAT & Duty are 2 different things.

Amazon.co.uk have always charged Irish VAT at checkout.

I know the UK one always charged Irish VAT. I thought I was getting charged import fees from the US. Maybe it was just the VAT being added on and An Post then piling on for the effort of calculating it?

If that's the case, then there isn't as much to worry about when ordering from Amazon UK, after January hits, unless the cost is over 150. So I'm happy out really! Interesting to see if Amazon still offer free shipping through Prime after January.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Interesting to see if Amazon still offer free shipping through Prime after January.....

Unless they want to reduce their Irish orders even further I'm sure they will.

I would assume Revenue will regard Amazon UK as a retailer that can be safely trusted to properly declare their consignments and so will carry out pretty limited spot-checks of their packages. So hopefully any additional delay going through customs clearance will be fairly minimal.

True, but assuming we'll have delays considering the speculation of trucks queuing at ports and stuff, and no priority given. How long of a delay that is will be interesting for Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Buying stuff through AddressPal could cost a good bit more as any parcels coming through them that get hit by customs will carry a €10 An Post admin fee on top of everything else. Might not be economical.

Edit: Actually, if you buy through AddressPal, you could end up paying VAT on the double. UK VAT as it will have a GB delivery address and then Irish VAT when accesed by customs.

Worse still, the customs limit includes any delivery charges. I recently got a fitting for my doorbell camera ($19.99) on Amazon US as it was sold out in Europe. Paid Addresspal €16.99 to bring it to Ireland. I ended to being charged €6 something by customs but a further €10 to An Post for collection of that so overall I paid An Post €26.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

If your addresspal post goes missing, you will lose the will to live trying to get through to them, worse than Eir,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I’m not that bothered by this TBH. Seems to me that if, like me you spend less than €150 Per order, not much changes, apart from Prime and delivery.

where have they said Prime is changing?
    there was nothing about it in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭torrevieja

so if the product is say 10 euro and i already paid and not been delivered till next january am i liable later ?

also im with prime throught Amazon.co.uk would or can i not just change to Amazon.de from next year ?

• Advertisement

I shop as much as I can from Irish suppliers, but it is often so much easier to search, find, read review, order from Amazon/Bezo.. Kindle books will be there anyway no matter what the charge is so I will still use that. As you were....

How will Prime and Delivery be effected ?

torrevieja wrote: »
    so if the product is say 10 euro and i already paid and not been delivered till next january am i liable later ?

also im with prime throught Amazon.co.uk would or can i not just change to Amazon.de from next year ?

It doesn’t matter when it is ordered, it is when it ships. If that is after Jan 1st it may be liable. You can take out prime on other sites, but it doesn’t transfer. If you read back a couple of pages you will see how Amazon UK shouldn’t be affected under €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://www.hagglezon.com/
    This site will be handy after Jan 1st. It allows you to check prices for the same product across French, German, UK and Spanish Amazons. Saved almost £30 in a single transaction by using it a few weeks back, you'd be surprised how much cheaper the German Amazon can be for some products over the UK Amazon.

It doesn’t matter when it is ordered, it is when it ships. If that is after Jan 1st it may be liable. You can take out prime on other sites, but it doesn’t transfer. If you read back a couple of pages you will see how Amazon UK shouldn’t be affected under €150.

well was only a 10 euro gone up to 60 now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They gave an example on the news tonight of potential charges. An item costing 162euro would likely attract 62 euro in charges bringing it to 224.

It's pretty sobering, particularly when you factor in the fact that things will be more expensive in our own shops too.

Definitely worth thinking if there's any big ticket items you need this wk. I'm thinking a dehumidifier! Not what I hoped I'd be buying for myself for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Considering this is only touching the surface, Amazon is a billion dollar company/owner, imaging the other items we have no clue of yet that we are impacted by. The UK leaving the EU is going to be a disaster of epic proportions solely on us and the UK.

The EU are leaving us out to dry here, are they backing us up? Utter disaster in the making and we are at the coal front of it all.

You'd nearly be mental to think the higher ups in the EU are trying to force us out of the EU, so they don't have to deal with the border situation and have us link back in with the UK as one and have us join the UK in there exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Considering this is only touching the surface, Amazon is a billion dollar company/owner, imaging the other items we have no clue of yet that we are impacted by. The UK leaving the EU is going to be a disaster of epic proportions solely on us and the UK.

The EU are leaving us out to dry here, are they backing us up? Utter disaster in the making and we are at the coal front of it all.

You'd nearly be mental to think the higher ups in the EU are trying to force us out of the EU, so they don't have to deal with the border situation and have us link back in with the UK as one and have us join the UK in there exit.

How are the EU leaving us out to dry?
    UK are leaving. The EU cannot stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

TallGlass2 wrote: »

Jesus ive seen some utter rubbish posted on here but this is right up there, the UK is leaving the EU all blame for increased prices and everything else to do with Brexit lands squarely on there doorstep not the EU

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well i just went to buy some water filters from my usual Amazon Supplier top up as im running low.

Price delivery is now 21 Pound Sterling from this supplier. (from free previously)

Checked other suppliers for similar products and all marked as not in stock for IRL address - AND funnily enough the NI address too , but when changed to UK address the items appear in stock and ready for delivery.

Its happening and its happening now.

Well at least i can cancel prime. Bye Amazon, come back when you are willing to service the IRISH market itself otherwise your a waste of cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

listermint wrote: »
    Well i just went to buy some water filters from my usual Amazon Supplier top up as im running low.

Price delivery is now 21 Pound Sterling from this supplier. (from free previously)

Checked other suppliers for similar products and all marked as not in stock for IRL address - AND funnily enough the NI address too , but when changed to UK address the items appear in stock and ready for delivery.

Its happening and its happening now.

Well at least i can cancel prime. Bye Amazon, come back when you are willing to service the IRISH market itself otherwise your a waste of cash!

I presume that isn't fulfilled by Amazon so third party and not worth them bothering with vat and customs hassle.

Otherwise it looks like it's BAU for items that are listed under prime and under 150.
    The items under 22 and prime are going to be a bonus for six months.

Advertisement