Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

It sounds like a viable option. I do say option as parcel motel has really done things well. Fast deliveries to the pm location once the parcel arrives in NI. I can collect without I.d. which will be required at an post. It's inexpensive. The text system is smart and hasn't ever let me down. I would use an post if the company only shipped to an English address, dependant on it being cost effective too of course. Going to a post office/sorting office is not my favourite place to visit, but wouldn't mind if the service was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Until pricing is revealed, it seems like the two advantages are the mainland address and the fact for that rural homes, post offices tend to be closer than motels. The main drawback is the access hours.

I think for most customers, the negatives are going to outweigh the positives. I have multiple PMs I could easily access, and I personally have never encountered a seller that wouldn't deliver to the North. I suspect this will do quite well in the country, but I would be very surprised if they ate into PM's market share at all in the city. They'd have to price it ridiculously low to attract city customers away from an existing, good-value service with round-the-clock deliveries and access.

If they wanted to make this a killer service, the way to go about it would be to deal with deliveries that have incurred customs charges. For me, that is PM's sole (but glaring) failing. I don't know how well it would operate, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Parcel Motel practically dies every Christmas under the strain, looking forward to seeing An Post do an even sh1ttier job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

As I said earlier - DPD will deliver to door for same sort of price as a PM locker fee. Which afai can see if superior to both offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

This could get interesting, as some stuff can't deliver to NI. I'm thinking about a table tennis table I want from sportsdirect :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    This could get interesting, as some stuff can't deliver to NI. I'm thinking about a table tennis table I want from sportsdirect :-)

I'm not sure an post would deliver something that size within Ireland, let alone as part of this service :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

dolallyoh wrote: »
    As I said earlier - DPD will deliver to door for same sort of price as a PM locker fee. Which afai can see if superior to both offerings.
    I've never had an item damaged via Royalmail/Parcel motel. I can't say the same about An Post and I certainly can't say it about DPD.
    Still, I welcome the competition and choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Yes there is definitely that to consider. My DPD stuff tends to get thrown over the side door. I still use them frequently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

delahuntv wrote: »
    At €1 it would be massively loss making. Unlikely to be much cheaper than pm.

The work involves taking it in at uk collection point, transferring to Ireland, sorting to regional areas, sorting to local post office, and then ensuring its viable for the post office to handle the parcel.

Every element has a cost and an post are not a charity.

I did say €1 for national (i.e. Ireland) parcels. I don't see how there is much more of a cost involved than with the traditional postage service? Seller pays postage as normal, it's sorted as normal etc., and instead of delivering to my house they deliver to the local post office - perhaps even easier than normal postage deliveries as they may be delivering a batch to one location. Sure, storage is potentially an issue but for small items not so much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Looks like they something that they might be thinking for a while, they have domain addresspal.ie with registration: 19-August-2014, I wonder if they will also have addresspal.com as only register couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

At €1 it would be massively loss making. Unlikely to be much cheaper than pm.

The work involves taking it in at uk collection point, transferring to Ireland, sorting to regional areas, sorting to local post office, and then ensuring its viable for the post office to handle the parcel.

Every element has a cost and an post are not a charity.

Why would it be loss making?

All of the above already happens except the taking it in at a UK collection point and transferring it to Ireland - but they save on the fact they dont send it to your house but you collect it at the post office.

The infrastructure is all already in place. They already take in, sort, sort, and then deliver regular post. And dont get paid per item for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They'd probably be able to charge far more than €1 and still be competitive so I assume they will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

cormie wrote: »
    They'd probably be able to charge far more than €1 and still be competitive so I assume they will :)

They could definitely charge more for the UK service, but for Irish parcels there isn't much of a benefit imho as you are tied into PO hours and possibly queues!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

a company comes out witha servcie and the whingers search for negatives.

Here's a positive - the last 2 items I got sent to parcel motel were too big for the lockers and I had to go to finglas to collect (from Kildare).

And another - some sites won't send to Northern Ireland, so PM no good for that.

and finally , you can have BOTH a PM account and an addresspal account. Imagine that!! - YOU get to choose what way to send your parcel.

Great to see more choice in the market - and that can only be a good thing. (but sure, that won't appease the whiners)

Parcel motel will deliver to your house, so do that for big items

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just don't see the point in it. It offers nothing PM does not offer and even less. If you know something is too big on PM now you can get it redirected to anywhere in the country.

Not exactly true. It has English address rather than northern Ireland. Some sellers online specific mainland uk only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Why would it be loss making?

All of the above already happens except the taking it in at a UK collection point and transferring it to Ireland - but they save on the fact they dont send it to your house but you collect it at the post office.

The infrastructure is all already in place. They already take in, sort, sort, and then deliver regular post. And dont get paid per item for it.

most post offices are "agents" that get a fee and commission from An post.

So you have cost of taking it in, transferring it, sorting it, locally delivering it and the cost of keeping it til customer comes in for it and vat on all that.

No way will it be €1 and I don't think the taxpayer should subsidise a commercial service. PM charge 3.95 for effectively the same service and I woudl guess that this is about the price people will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

I guess An Post failed to "deliver" this on time!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not exactly true. It has English address rather than northern Ireland. Some sellers online specific mainland uk only.
    +1, people have to remember/realize that parcelmotel and parcelwizard are really taking advantage of the fact that royal mail are in effect subsidising parcels going to NI.

Couriers would have no real reason to do this and so charge accordingly, so a package going to an address next door to them in london will be cheaper than one going to NI. Many sellers are using couriers and not royal mail and so will say mainland uk only.

As an post will apparently not be taking advantage of Royal Mail I would not expect it to be particularly cheap.

Checking online all the post offices near me are open saturday from 9am-1pm. If they have daily charges like PM I would not use them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wyrme

Did this fall through? I cannot find any mention of it on their site today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It seams this is long time in the making, the webaddress addresspal.ie was registered by AnPost on 19-August-2014.

So what's another couple of month giving that this was never officially announced anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I used to be able to pick up parcels at my local post office on Saturday, but they decided to get rid of this facility. Then they stopped delivering parcels to my local post office for collection at all, and I am supposed to travel to some central depot in the middle of an industrial estate. All this during working hours, so I have to take a half day off work to pick up something. Only now when Parcel Motel have provided a proper service are they bothering to try and provide a service that might be convenient for the consumer.

AP could launch a service which promised free valet delivery on a bed of roses at a time of my choosing, and I'd still give my money to Parcel Motel.

Maybe the OP has an update on this, giving that it's mid of January and there is no sign of this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

I'd say the OP is currently squirming after mistakenly heralding its arrival on Jan 1st!! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm surprised An Post doesn't follow Deutsche Post (German equivalent of An Post) lead.

Deutsche Post was one of the first companies to introduce Parcel Motel style lockers. They first try and deliver every parcel to your home, but if you aren't home, instead of sending it to the depot like An Post, they instead deliver it to the closest locker. Even if you have never signed up to the service, the letter they leave in the post box has the details of the lockers location and how to access it.

The advantage being that the lockers are usually much closer then the sorting office and are open 24/7.

You can also use the lockers to send both post and parcels and they even sell stamps, etc.

Their lockers are basically fully automated 24/7 post offices. Incredibly convenient and saves DP lots of money on having to do re-deliveries.

I wish An Post did that here in Ireland.

I also wish Amazon did their lockers here in Ireland (or partner with Parcel Motel), free deliveries and returns via locker would be great.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm surprised An Post doesn't follow Deutsche Post (German equivalent of An Post) lead.

Deutsche Post was one of the first companies to introduce Parcel Motel style lockers. They first try and deliver every parcel to your home, but if you aren't home, instead of sending it to the depot like An Post, they instead deliver it to the closest locker. Even if you have never signed up to the service, the letter they leave in the post box has the details of the lockers location and how to access it.

The advantage being that the lockers are usually much closer then the sorting office and are open 24/7. Oh and no need to enter a PArcel Motel ID in your address, it all happens automatically for deliveries by DP.

You can also use the lockers to send both post and parcels and they even sell stamps, etc.

Their lockers are basically fully automated 24/7 post offices. Incredibly convenient and saves DP lots of money on having to do re-deliveries.

I also wish Amazon did their lockers here in Ireland (or partner with Parcel Motel), free deliveries and returns via locker would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

bk wrote: »

The advantage being that the lockers are usually much closer then the sorting office and are open 24/7. Oh and no need to enter a PArcel Motel ID in your address, it all happens automatically for deliveries by DP.

See an post's new service options in other thread.

Options to leave it in your local post office and option to leave it with neighbour or other nearby address. - Both options must be offered by seller for recipient to avail of.

It's being launch in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Linky?

Would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just like it was launching on January 1st?
    Will it be pushed back to April 1st?

Advertisement