Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Coupon Chat Only]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

First of all, I apologize for massive multi-quote :)
    Access wrote: »
    I was totally wrong on my prediction of how the article was going to turn out.

I am very impressed with it... especially that it was in the main Sunday Times paper and not one of the supplements! - means more people will see it and hopefully come around to couponing and saving money on their shop.

Well done Tirabaralla, your story and points were told perfectly and you came across very professional in the article.

It nice to put a face to the name.

Thanks to Siobhan Maguire for writing the article too!

Who else from here was on it... fair dues to ye.
    And...waht a face :o
    Anyway, thank you! After your pertinent notes I was a bit worried lol
    Kinda relieved :D

mrswalton wrote: »
    Well done Tirabella, great photo, thats one happy couponer! (you don't need make-up):)

Very pleasant article. I too was surprised to see it in the main section.
    Me too, and yes I needed it badly...plus, my face is not that wide, see how stratched thos Johnson's bubble bath bottles are? Eh? :D
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Y'know when a coupon states "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" (and the likes), is it A) The retailer doesn't give a fiddlers? or B) The company that take the coupons from the retailers don't actually know/cannot cross reference if the coupon has been used with a, say, reduced price product?

I just wonder what is the purpose of the "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer" blurb supposed to mean.
    gazzaman22 wrote: »
    My understanding of this is that the coupon that you are using and product(on offer or not) can be combined to buy said product but you cant use ...say 2 different coupons in conjunction

An example i refer to if i have confused ppl.
    There was a pigsback coupon and a todayfm coupon both for €2 off persil, My belief is that you cannot buy a persil and use both coupons!

I'm open to correction....
    Access wrote: »
    Correct in one gazzaman.

you can use a coupon if the item is on offer/is not on offer in store but you cant combine coupons for one item.

I think the understanding in this is slightly different and I am sorry but I think is wrong to suppose that they just don't enforce a rule:
    I think that manfufacturer offer is different from store offer, manufacturer coupon is different from store coupon (discount). The manufacturer protects himself by printing "not to be used in conjunction..." etc it means not to be used with any other offer for same product or same range that they may have issued or will issue.
    Couponing IS matching, very rarely it makes sense otherwise. (I just found out I should be calling it "stacking" lol)
    The coupon we use is fully refounded by manufacturer, the discount in shop is decided by the shop, when you use your coupon you spend as much "money" as another buyer does, for what the shop in concerned.
    Obviously any shop could decide to have a coupon policy where they state they won't accept coupons conjucted with their offers (maybe not a great trading strategy) but in general manufacturer coupon and shop discount are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stirliz

brian_t wrote: »
    The price on the receipt should not be more then the offer price on the shelf.
    If it is you need to bring it back to the Customer Services desk and tell them.
    Tesco will give you back double the over-charge amount.

I know that, but normally it is the way that first is shown full price and then the offer is deducted on your receipt too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think you need to read up on marketing and incentives to purchase Tirabarella
    You'll find that most supermarket offers are actually funded by the manufacturer.
    Example: 2 branded breads for €1, the supermarket does not take the hit, the manufacturer does.
    Secondly you'll find that only one coupon can be used per product no matter how different or origin of the coupon. This ain't the USA where store policies are vastly different to here.
    Manufacturers attract customers by marketing incentives such as bogof, coupons, collect tokens, free gift etc. I don't think any manufacturer would be happy that they are marketing their products in a store through a discount and then a coupon being used in addition to this.

stirliz wrote: »
    I know that, but normally it is the way that first is shown full price and then the offer is deducted on your receipt too.

No, this is true for bogof products or products that are on offer if bought together etc, when the discount is a matter of percentual on the original price normally it comes up already at discounted price on receipt...at least at "my" Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

but in general manufacturer coupon and shop discount are two different things.

Tesco is very secretive.
    I think it's unclear whether they carry the discount or it's forced unto the supplier.
    This might be more relevant in the case of smaller manufacturers.
    Ms McGuinness called on Tesco and other major multiples to clarify their policies in relation to price promotions on a range of products, including food.

She said it is important for consumers to know whether Tesco actually takes a reduction in its profit margin in favour of offering value to consumers or whether Tesco, because it is a very large retailer, puts pressure on its suppliers to supply goods at lower cost.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0329/tesco.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

snubbleste wrote: »
    Manufacturers attract customers by marketing incentives such as bogof, coupons, collect tokens, free gift etc. I don't think any manufacturer would be happy that they are marketing their products in a store through a discount and then a coupon being used in addition to this.

My opinion on this would be that if the Manufacturers chose to offer their product as a special offer/discounted (for marketing reasons), they must have allowed a budget for this, then if they also chose to offer coupons for their product and would have to allowed a certain budget for this as well.

Does it make that much of a difference to them if both of these incentives are used together - if they are all budgeted for by the manufacturer in the first place??

They are making both types of incentives available for use by consumers when they run a special offer during a time when a coupon is still valid. ....Anyway just my thoughts on it....

Yes it does.
    That's why the manufacturers & pigsback have coupons that say 'Not valid with any other promotion or offer.' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

First of all, I apologize for massive multi-quote :)

And...waht a face :o
    Anyway, thank you! After your pertinent notes I was a bit worried lol
    Kinda relieved :D

Me too, and yes I needed it badly...plus, my face is not that wide, see how stratched thos Johnson's bubble bath bottles are? Eh? :D

I think the understanding in this is slightly different and I am sorry but I think is wrong to suppose that they just don't enforce a rule:
    I think that manfufacturer offer is different from store offer, manufacturer coupon is different from store coupon (discount). The manufacturer protects himself by printing "not to be used in conjunction..." etc it means not to be used with any other offer for same product or same range that they may have issued or will issue.
    Couponing IS matching, very rarely it makes sense otherwise. (I just found out I should be calling it "stacking" lol)
    The coupon we use is fully refounded by manufacturer, the discount in shop is decided by the shop, when you use your coupon you spend as much "money" as another buyer does, for what the shop in concerned.
    Obviously any shop could decide to have a coupon policy where they state they won't accept coupons conjucted with their offers (maybe not a great trading strategy) but in general manufacturer coupon and shop discount are two different things.

The wording "ANY OTHER OFFER" is key to me when written on the coupon, the fact that it states ANY , would mean to me to preclude one from using it in conjunction with a shop discount or ANY other offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

A coupon is not an offer, its a coupon. They are different. As other said companies are not stupid. They budget for coupons and store offers. They would not have store offers in conjunction with offering coupons if they did not want the coupons to be used on the offer.

This has been said about 5 million times, we need an FAQ thread.

Link for that Irishchick?
    Also explain the "Not valid with any other offer or promotion" Is it just a waste of ink?

• Advertisement

I don't need a "link". The fact that Tesco and other stores accept them, redeem them and continue to accept them is hard proof.

If it was not allowed then Tesco would have had indicated this to someone by now. According to your explanation they'd just be ignoring it, which is ridiculous.

Manufacturers plan for it. Why do you think they offer coupons with new products that are on offer like the "Why not" coupons. All they are interested in is persuading you to try the product in the hope you will buy it again. Coupons/offers are budgeted for in the initial planning.

"Not vaild with any other offer or promotion" explanation required.

And the stores do ignore that condition, but sometimes they don't and examples have been posted in the old couponing thread.

Sure, I'll write to Pigsback any ask them to remove those requirements from their coupon small print, save me some printer ink.

Sure, I'll write to Pigsback any ask them to remove those requirements from their coupon small print, save me some printer ink.

By all means go ahead. The rest of us will be busy using coupons ;):rolleyes:

Either the in-store discount is fuelled by the manufacturer itself or decided by the store company for any kind of reason or "pact" with the manufacturer it doesn't change the fact that one thing is manufacturer coupon, another is store coupon (like the ones you get with your "fidelity card") and yet another is in store discount...
    It's obvious that manufacturers and especially multinationals have a say on what goes discounted and when (we all notice that some products are normally discounted at certain times of the year, periodically), this doesn't change the fact that they ARE different things, different strategies, with different costs for the different parts (ie I'd say it's quite right to suppose that supermarkets discount items that they buy in bulkier amounts than normal or that they don't want to expire on the shelves, this also by according themselves to the manufacturing companies or even putting pressure on them to get a certain deal to attract costumers).

And I did study marketing and selling strategies of supermarkets, down to why a certain aisle should smell a certain way, thank you :)

Btw, Woolite for 1.80 euro in SuperValu, 25 washings, if anyone is interested.
    Less than 7 cents a washing, a personal best :)
    (dicounted half price at 3.80-2.00 coupon=1.80)

Plenty is also still discounted and it comes down to 1.12 eurox2 rolls

"Not vaild with any other offer or promotion" explanation required.

And the stores do ignore that condition, but sometimes they don't and examples have been posted in the old couponing thread.

I agree 100%

The coupon should be invalid if there is another offer or promotion on the product and you try to use the coupon.

The fact that staff take them and don't care is not the point, the fact remains that that part of the terms and conditions means they are not valid if there is another offer or promotion on that particular good.

In reality what happens is that the checkout assistant could not be a*sed checking to see if the product is on offer or not, with so many products for sale and offers changing they don't have a clue what's on offer or not, once the coupon passes the beep test then away with you.

But if someone does check it, and they know what's on offer, I think they would be within their rights not to accept the coupon.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

http://www.nca.ie/nca/groceries

as per National Consumer Agency website

Use coupons wisely
    Coupons can save you money - but don't buy products you don't need just because you have a coupon.
    You can find coupons on the back of receipts from most of the major supermarkets and on various websites.
    Watch out for special offers and two-for-one deals on products you regularly use, and stock up when your items are on special offer.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/groceries

as per National Consumer Agency website

Use coupons wisely
    Coupons can save you money - but don't buy products you don't need just because you have a coupon.
    You can find coupons on the back of receipts from most of the major supermarkets and on various websites.
    Watch out for special offers and two-for-one deals on products you regularly use, and stock up when your items are on special offer.

NCA don't make the terms and conditions for the coupons.

Infact they don't do much for the consumer, but that's another days work:rolleyes:

This if from the same part of the NCA's website that you have quoted
    "Be cautious about two-for-one offers - consider when you might use the second item and if it is suitable for home-freezing." Ha ! The good aul NCA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

how will i ever fit the bloody persil in the freezer??? :confused:

I agree 100%

The coupon should be invalid if there is another offer or promotion on the product and you try to use the coupon.

The fact that staff take them and don't care is not the point, the fact remains that that part of the terms and conditions means they are not valid if there is another offer or promotion on that particular good.

In reality what happens is that the checkout assistant could not be a*sed checking to see if the product is on offer or not, with so many products for sale and offers changing they don't have a clue what's on offer or not, once the coupon passes the beep test then away with you.

But if someone does check it, and they know what's on offer, I think they would be within their rights not to accept the coupon.

Sorry but this sounds a bit silly as a reason why...
    If your manager tells you not accept coupons for products on offer you will not, you could maybe once or twice because you don't wanna check, but not on a regular basis, unless you don't need your job.

So it's OBVIOUS that that is the policy of the stores,not of the single cashier. Or hundreds of them in hundreds of places, in different companies under hundreds of managers.
    Even more, I am sure that there is a way to develop a system that invalidates the coupon when you try and use it on an already discounted item... but now we are going into a sci-fi field of shopping rules lol

Anyway...less sabotage and more couponing? Pretty please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

...Access stands in the corner of the room watching the fur and claws fly from this heated discussion - all the time remaining quiet! :D

how will i ever fit the bloody persil in the freezer??? :confused:

DOH! - do what i did and take out the frozen peas hairyairyfairy! :D

If your manager tells you not accept coupons for products on offer you will not, you could maybe once or twice because you don't wanna check, but not on a regular basis, unless you don't need your job.

So it's OBVIOUS that that is the policy of the stores,not of the single cashier. Or hundreds of them in hundreds of places, in different companies under hundreds of managers.
    Even more, I am sure that there is a way to develop a system that invalidates the coupon when you try and use it on an already discounted item... but now we are going into a sci-fi field of shopping rules lol

Anyway...less sabotage and more couponing? Pretty please? :)

Anyway...less sabotage and more couponing?
    :confused: The thread title states "Chit Chat Thread", and I'm chit chatting about whether or not coupons should be strictly used within their terms and conditions or not.

Maybe the policy by management/store owners is to take them unless they don't beep through the system, but I think that the majority just scan them through and don't bother checking, thousands of products etc....

The fact that staff take them and don't care is not the point (and/or whether management/store owners allow them on products already on offer or promotion), the fact remains that that part of the terms and conditions means they are not valid if there is another offer or promotion on that particular good, according to the people that issue the coupons in the first place.

...Access stands in the corner of the room watching the fur and claws fly from this heated discussion - all the time remaining quiet! biggrin.gif

Not a heated discussion, though I know you are joking, it's just really to get to the bottom of the position one might find themselves in at the supermarket next time, potentially an embarrasing situation ;)

Not a heated discussion, though I know you are joking, it's just really to get to the bottom of the position one might find themselves in at the supermarket next time, potentially an embarrasing situation ;)

Its so heated, ive switched off the central heating here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Hi all,

Just back from holidays, and having gotten involved in the couponing thread a couple of months ago, I'm very impressed to see a new forum, a newspaper article and alot of interest on my return!! Well done :)

I have been searching high and low on the internet to contribute here, but I can't find anything new to ad. I have also been in touch with Centra customer service about my local store not accepting a Goodfellas coupon, hopefully they will change their policy, until then, Tesco are great for taking them, and at self check out it's so quick and easy to scan coupons without causing anyone a delay.

Perhaps we should get organised, and as a group all email one or two companies per week and ask for coupons. If we all emailed the same company/ies on the same weeks, & they receive 100+ emails or so in a week, they would take notice, and perhaps issue a coupon for a month or so for Boarders!?

An idea might be to start with Irish companies, making products which no coupons exist for, e.g. C&C or TK for fizzy drinks, or Shellfish De La Mer for seafood. Just an idea, any thoughts?

Hope this chat forum lives long and thanks for the logs too, good for ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

so were any of ye on the tom dunne show earlier? he was doing a slot of couponing but I missed it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Seems he was bumped off TomDunne to appear later in the week. Missed it on East Coast later.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

The supermarkets dont loose out by taking coupons with offers so why would they care. It brings people into their stores who, if they are like me, end up buying plenty of full priced stuff at the same time. win win for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Article on BBC website

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

imfml wrote: »
    Perhaps we should get organised, and as a group all email one or two companies per week and ask for coupons. If we all emailed the same company/ies on the same weeks, & they receive 100+ emails or so in a week, they would take notice, and perhaps issue a coupon for a month or so for Boarders!?

An idea might be to start with Irish companies, making products which no coupons exist for, e.g. C&C or TK for fizzy drinks, or Shellfish De La Mer for seafood. Just an idea, any thoughts?

I'd be up for that! Who would we target first?

Advertisement