Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bookies Reopening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Stick to the Thread title please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

UK Bookies will be back open 12th April, 2 days after the Grand National.
    Punter friends living in border counties will be in demand.

I'd say there is a good chance they will change the GN meeting to the following week so the B&M bookies are open for it.
    Biggest single day for bookies for both turnover and profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

It would be grand if NPHET recommend a two exemption from shutdown/lockdown the week 16March2021 for Cheletenham and the weekend 8th April for Aintree...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thatsmighty

Gambling will probably be moving all online, I don't see the point of shops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

pottokblue wrote: »
    It would be grand if NPHET recommend a two exemption from shutdown/lockdown the week 16March2021 for Cheletenham and the weekend 8th April for Aintree...
    More chances of them forgetting covid existed.
    Gambling will probably be moving all online, I don't see the point of shops
    It wont at all. Far too many people never will want or desire to open an account and have their betting tied to their bank accounts.
    Then if you move it all online you restrict betting to those who do it regularly and wont have lots who do it on one off basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They will either reopen in the Autumn with non food pubs, or mid summer (whenever that is!) with other retail.

I'd expect many bricks and mortar shops to close in the medium term. It's a highly profitable online business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

50-1 NPHET won't do that !

Didn't they try that for Christmas?
    It wont at all. Far too many people never will want or desire to open an account and have their betting tied to their bank accounts.
    Then if you move it all online you restrict betting to those who do it regularly and wont have lots who do it on one off basis

+1
    mid summer (whenever that is!) with other retail.
    My guess as well, just in time for Euro 20(insert number here)
    It's a highly profitable online business.
    Also profitable business in shops as well.
    It would be grand if NPHET recommend a two exemption from shutdown/lockdown the week 16March2021 for Cheletenham and the weekend 8th April for Aintree.
    50-1 NPHET won't do that !

1,000/1, minimum bet €10,000 cash, up front :D provided you don't work for NPHET or the Government!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

okidoki987 wrote: »

I'd say there is a good chance they will change the GN meeting to the following week so the B&M bookies are open for it.

Do you genuinely think they’d move the biggest single race on the UK calendar to suit the bookies? Horses are being prepped for that date, TV schedules, racing schedules.... there isn’t a prayer. The bookies could offer them 20 million combined and the still wouldn’t or at least couldn’t take it to I’ve it.

Do you genuinely think they’d move the biggest single race on the UK calendar to suit the bookies? Horses are being prepped for that date, TV schedules, racing schedules.... there isn’t a prayer.

Want to give me odds on that? ;)

It's the biggest turnover day of the year for bookies and the most profitable for them as well.
    The bookies won't be open on the 10th but will be open 2 days later, Grand National was scheduled for the 10th and there is no reason for it not to be on the following week.

• Advertisement

Be surprised if they do. Would be a PR disaster if it led to rise in cases. People can use their phone. Much easier.

Piece on the radio about lockdown flutter and online/mobile smartphone gambling that 50 % people become promblem gamblers. I'm a gambler with a problem; shops will be shut over CHeltenham and I have no online account.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

Piece on the radio about lockdown flutter and online/mobile smartphone gambling that 50 % people become promblem gamblers. I'm a gambler with a problem; shops will be shut over CHeltenham and I have no online account.

a lot of people in the same boat, just gotta grin & bear it.

Why would you not open an online account?

From the Racing Post.

The Randox Grand National meeting will remain in its scheduled position of April 8-10 after the Jockey Club said there was not a "solid enough basis" for moving the dates, or the Grand National itself, until after betting shops in England are scheduled to reopen on April 12.

Can't believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Apart from bookies the fact that the North is way ahead on vaccinations will result in a massive travel North from the South to avail of hotel breaks, restuarants etc. There will have to be a move to Level 3 in the South after Easter otherwise it will be open season

Why would you not open an online account?
    I am not a big gambler but I have an online account. I mainly concentrate on football and I find myself tipping away nearly on a daily basis. I could imagine how that convenience would suit a problem gambler.

Thats right Edgware I like that the shops have opening hours where on the online I could be 24/7 putting bets on horses in Kentucky or SDS rides in Japan. Shops I stick to Irl, Uk, France and the odd Meday, Breederscup, Melbournecup... Handling cash helps me to keep tabs on my losses. I'd put my bets on in the morning then watch them run in the afternoon, online access would make me more tempted to chase my losses or to follow in the pubs chinese whispers/tips...Much prefer the facetoface interaction of the shops despite their inconveniences. However I'm sorely tempted to open an online account for the upcoming festivals...Anyone know can you do placepots with PP online or do the Tote do online betting??

I read the book "Tony 10" about the Postmaster in Carlow who gambled millions. He was throwing thousands on games in Peru Third Division etc.
    My 1euro lucky 15 is harmless in comparison

Edgware wrote: »
    I read the book "Tony 10" about the Postmaster in Carlow who gambled millions. He was throwing thousands on games in Peru Third Division etc.
    My 1euro lucky 15 is harmless in comparison

But are you getting any free trips, free bets, free champagne lunches and so on? ;).

• Advertisement

.Anyone know can you do placepots with PP online or do the Tote do online betting??

https://offers.tote.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Btote%20%2Bireland&utm_campaign=Brand_BMM_IRE&utm_content=Tote_BMM_IRE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzIfxod-K7wIVAdtRCh2fWQ9zEAAYASAAEgL2cfD_BwE

They update that with in running results and units remaining, handy if you want to know the size of the payout.

Can't remember if PP still do Placepots, it's so long since I did them.
    When I used to do them in PP, the bets didn't go into the pool so placepot payout in a PP shop would nearly always be higher than if your and all other shop stakes went into the official pool.
    It was very handy for Cheltenham and other larger placepot pots.

But are you getting any free trips, free bets, free champagne lunches and so on? ;).
    I get a diary at Christmas and double odds on one winner in the Lucky 15ðŸ˜

Edgware wrote: »
    I get a diary at Christmas and double odds on one winner in the Lucky 15ðŸ˜

Did you get a diary for Christmas 2020?
    Used to be treble odds one winner but cut backs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Anyone know is there ways to top up a paddypower account without using visa / credit card so it doesn’t show on a bank statement? Don’t want it to show up in case applying for a loan or mortgage etc. Could I add money to my PayPal balance and then deposit with PayPal (I presume once the PayPal account is in balance and topped up, then the actual PayPal transactions wouldn’t show up on the bank statement would they?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Anyone know is there ways to top up a paddypower account without using visa / credit card so it doesn’t show on a bank statement? Don’t want it to show up in case applying for a loan or mortgage etc. Could I add money to my PayPal balance and then deposit with PayPal (I presume once the PayPal account is in balance and topped up, then the actual PayPal transactions wouldn’t show up on the bank statement would they?).

Use Revolut if you have 1 though sometimes the banks look for that and all

No use at the moment but when shops do reopen you can lodge money into your account then.
    Revolut as mentioned would be my choice if I was doing it.

I just get a Paysafe top up for whatever amount, 10,20 50 whatever and add to pp account that way. You can get them in any centra shop and I'm sure other shops also sell them.

Banks can ask for Revolut statements too

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

I just get a Paysafe top up for whatever amount, 10,20 50 whatever and add to pp account that way. You can get them in any centra shop and I'm sure other shops also sell them.

Thanks, I did that. For anyone else just buy the voucher in a shop and in paddypower select deposit, alternative method, Paysafe and just key in the voucher number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If banks see regular transactions to a Revolut account they’ll obviously question that too, so ya, it’s a tough one if you’re trying to avoid questions.

Advertisement