Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how would you invest 200K?

• 27-02-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    Due to an inheritance I have 200K to invest. It is currently sitting in a bank account earning 10 cents p.a.! I am mid 50's, single and mortgage free and with a civil servant DB pension.
    Any suggestions on making this work for me?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Bullrush11 wrote: »
    Hi
    Due to an inheritance I have 200K to invest. It is currently sitting in a bank account earning 10 cents p.a.! I am mid 50's, single and mortgage free and with a civil servant DB pension.
    Thanks

You need to define a quantifiable objective, only then can you start to look at the type of investing opportunities that will enable you to achieve that objective. Without it anything from bitcoin to doing up one of those one euro properties in Italy is in play.

If your in you mid 50s what about early retirement?

Basically, all investments are based on your appetite for risk / gain. Leaving money on deposit is basically COSTING you money through inflation. Prize Bonds ( though not as lucrative as they were 3months ago) leave your money safe and give you the ( very) slight odds of a " win" now& again . Personally, I've have a net interest rate of circa 6% on prize Bonds over last decade....BUT that is more to do with luck than anything else. The only realistic possibilities for meaningful gain on an amount of 200€k is property or land speculation but IIwould lean towards max caution at present as we will be in a state of flux/ volatility for next 5yrs. The BEST thing you can get is TIME, believe it or not, as another poster suggested RAMP UP the pension with a view to earlier retirement. I'm of a similar age to you, I work a 3day week and aim for 3foreign holidays ( in normal times) a year... I've no intention of sitting on a 'wad' of cash in 70's when the knees/ hips are on way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Can you buy extra years on your pension or set up an outside AVC? Definitely something to consider carefully.

Basically, all investments are based on your appetite for risk / gain.
    [/OUOTE]

Not at all. Your investments should never be based on your appetite for risk, because there is a very big gap between your perception of risk and reality. You should never take on more risk that is necessary to realistically achieve a quantifiable objective. Without such an objective to guide you, you will almost certainly flip flop and loose money.
    The only realistic possibilities for meaningful gain on an amount of 200€k is property or land speculation but IIwould lean towards max caution at present as we will be in a state of flux/ volatility for next 5yrs.

Property is one of the high risk asset classes regardless of the current situation. Given the risk profile, it represents a very poor return. It is why we consider portfolios with double digits allocations to property to be very high risk. And as the OP already has a large exposure to property a further allocation would put him of the scales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Enjoy life.No one will ever be able to save that

• Advertisement

Dogecoin.

Just kidding, perhaps an index tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

State Savings products for a safe although low ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCMYKggIQpk
    i would look into novartis more than tesla . if i had 200k i'd go 150 novartis, 50 tesla but it depends on your appetite for risk. tesla has a lot of good new already built into the share price but mayb have a lot more upside depending on how you think their sales will go in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bullrush11 wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks
    What's your life plan? You looking for a way to retire a few years early, set you up with a house in the sun, leave an inheritance for relations?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What's your life plan? You looking for a way to retire a few years early, set you up with a house in the sun, leave an inheritance for relations?

This is the thing, without an objective anything goes. The OP is in their mid 50s, single, house bought and paid for and in a good pensionable job. If they want to finance the period from now to retirement, it may be tight but doable. If so, then preserving the capital would be paramount, so very low risk options would be all that is in play.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Top up pension with AVCs, or for very Conservative approach there is state savings, but these rates of return have been lowered this year but for guarenteed return and peace of mind maybe have a look at them.

Advertisement