Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parent's 40th wedding Anniversary gift?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Get them a skip. Your Mam will appreciate that anyway and maybe give your Father the hint that he has too much c*ap lying around.

Bed linen is something practical and nice for your Mam too.

Still think the donkey is the best idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

How about a a swing chair set for the garden. They probably wouldn't buy it for themselves but might like it all the same, especially as they are getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,152 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

aquinn wrote: »
    Get them a skip. Your Mam will appreciate that anyway and maybe give your Father the hint that he has too much c*ap lying around.

Bed linen is something practical and nice for your Mam too.

Still think the donkey is the best idea :D

I have suggested this in the past to my mother but she says it will give my father a heart attack.
    I have got them bed linemen.
    I'm fairly sure my sister got my mother a donkey from their a few years ago.
    Mrsmum wrote: »
    How about a a swing chair set for the garden. They probably wouldn't buy it for themselves but might like it all the same, especially as they are getting older.

I'd happily buy it for them but my fathers hoarding they wouldn't be room for this.

Reading this I think I should just get them marriage counselling.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Do they drive? Full car valet when it’s possible?

How would they feel about the luxury of having a cleaner come in once a week ( when it’s possible) to do some of the heavier housework like changing beds/laundry?

Would they use an air fryer type appliance?

Do they have a dishwasher?

A new TV?

Free food shopping to a value ( gift card for a determined value for the local supermarket), each week they could do the food shop til the balance depletes)

Do they drive? Full car valet when it’s possible?

Yes, I consider this but I clean their car weekly and clean the seats every so often but I'd be open to it.
    How would they feel about the luxury of having a cleaner come in once a week ( when it’s possible) to do some of the heavier housework like changing beds/laundry?

Father wouldn't allow this and she/he could get squashed with clutter.
    Would they use an air fryer type appliance?

Do they have a dishwasher?

A new TV?

I'd love to buy an appliance for them. However in the last few years almost everything has being replaced.
    Free food shopping to a value ( gift card for a determined value for the local supermarket), each week they could do the food shop til the balance depletes)

I have given them vouchers in the past and generally my father just takes them to buy clothes and tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You need three gifts. A token ruby gift, plant or cake or something which doesn't cost much.

Some luxury for your mother, either an experience or special clothing or shoes, anything she wouldn't buy for herself.

Then get something which your father would like, and I thing the budget should be split to favour your mother.

My Dad was easy to buy for as he had lots of hobbies and loved reading.

Couldn't please my mother. The one thing which she was really pleased with was an expensive well cut jacket and skirt suit with a silk blouse. This was years ago and she would have been in her seventies.

She would always have been well dressed on a tight budget but this was way more expensive than she would ever buy for herself, and beautifully tailored. She did look stunning in it. Because she didn't know what it cost she was happy to wear it.

So maybe you could treat your mother to something she would desire but never buy.

Oh, a pair of Dubarry boots for Mam:

https://www.dubarry.com/ie?_dub=ss20sale&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI08fY_LLs7gIVFLd3Ch0TMAXoEAAYASAAEgIqFvD_BwE

Great quality, last for years. Handy around the farm as warmer than wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Yes, I consider this but I clean their car weekly and clean the seats every so often but I'd be open to it.

Father wouldn't allow this and she/he could get squashed with clutter.

I'd love to buy an appliance for them. However in the last few years almost everything has being replaced.

I have given them vouchers in the past and generally my father just takes them to buy clothes and tools.

With the greatest respect, your parents are very lucky to have you. ‘You’ are the gift that keeps on giving and it sounds like you’ve been and continue to be attentive to their materialistic and non materialistic needs.

I’ve no doubt you’ll find something they’ll love.

Kudos to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh, a pair of Dubarry boots for Mam:

https://www.dubarry.com/ie?_dub=ss20sale&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI08fY_LLs7gIVFLd3Ch0TMAXoEAAYASAAEgIqFvD_BwE

Great quality, last for years. Handy around the farm as warmer than wellies.

I want those.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I want those.

They are amazing. Have a pair of sailing boots 12 years and I absolutely love them. Expensive but 12 years later to still adore? Worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

What sort of farmers are they?
    I got my parents a completely unromantic present last year of a full butchered lamb for the freezer and they really appreciated it. It was just a random present though and not for a specific occasion so it probably went down well because of that too, although your parents sound so practical it might suit.

Boots and clothes are a good option and are something I'm considering.

They are just very small farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

My parents v similar wouldnt have an interest in much. Newspaper subscription for the journal? Voucher for a good butchers for a few weeks worth of meat would suit mine and then cook them a dinner for their anniversary. Mine prefer eating at home to going out.

Practical presents when they have most things are tough. Keep it simple mine wouldn’t see the point in buying something for sake of it. You could just mark the day with a dinner at home and small gifts. My mam is into nice delph/cutlery/tablecloth, at Christmas I got her 2 pairs of Wolford tights. Practical and she’ll use them. Wedgewood China do nice anniversary gifts.
    We got a Stellar kettle and teapot and they are used everyday.

Men more difficult, decent shoe horn, clothes, shoe polish set, (prob end up your mother using it if he is like mine) decent wool farm cap, body warmer, that what mine are into.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I had a quick flick through so might have missed this but would you consider getting their genealogy done and/or their family tree printed?

I had a quick flick through so might have missed this but would you consider getting their genealogy done and/or their family tree printed?

That maybe a good idea. However we have have family trees done going back generations done in the past.
    Would these turn up much extra?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

That maybe a good idea. However we have have family trees done going back generations done in the past.
    Would these turn up much extra?

Honestly, it depends per family. You can get reports commissioned that will provide more detail than just names you already have with background about the areas they lived in or jobs they worked, etc. There are companies such as Ancestor Network that will do them. Full disclosure, my mum is a genealogist with them which is why I know them specifically. There are others out there too.

Other options are one of the DNA kits depending on your feelings about them or something to display like an engraved tree on wood. I got my mum this one from Etsy for Christmas with her family tree back 5 generations and she loved it.

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll probably get my mother a piece of jewelry.
    However I notice there are two shades of Ruby.
    Does it matter which one you go for?
    I'd consider the first one more traditional.

61c1d398bde7-article-main.jpg

4376UWS5503733XWSD1.jpg

Thanks for the advice.
    I bought the newspaper from the date they were married in a book format and it includes major headlines from the 1980's as well.(I think).

I'll get my mother a necklace also.(Not crazy expensive).

I'll sort something out for father also.

I'll get a take away from a restaurant and a few bits on the day also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

If they're in to gardening a plant could be nice. This website has a list of plants with the word ruby in the name or with ruby coloured flowers/foliage :)
    https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/category.cfm?cat_id=27

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

One thing that's gone down well in my family, is getting friends and family send a video message and compile it all up into one with some background music, interspersed with old and some recent family photos. Did it for my Dad's 80th, and it does take a time and planning (give it 3 weeks ahead of the time to get all the videos in, scan photos, compile the video etc) but he just loved it. You can give the token material things as well, like a card with a voucher of some sort, but you can't beat memories.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions again.
    The last one wouldn’t go down well because people would feel that I was fishing for presents for them and my mother would be mortified at the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

Thanks for the suggestions again.
    The last one wouldn’t go down well because people would feel that I was fishing for presents for them and my mother would be mortified at the idea.

Guess it depends on the personalities and type of family connection but I'm actually amazed as that would never have entered my head and I know the 30 or so that sent a little message through for my dad wouldn't have thought anything of it .

You really do have your work cut out for you - I think it's a holy grail quest you are on , lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Legit_ie wrote: »
    You really do have your work cut out for you - I think it's a holy grail quest you are on , lol.

Definitely. I mean, I think for my parents 40th wedding anniversary I probably got them a card and a box of chocolates! We'd never do much more than acknowledge the event in my family, never buy buy very elaborate gifts :)

The funny thing is they are actually easy enough to but for a top, fleece. clothes, an appliances, a tool and their happy out.
    It's just with Anniversary's gifts are often very love dovey and that's just not them.
    I will just trying to think of something different for this.

My parents or siblings, never have parties and we'd be private and we'd just swap presents amongst one another but out extended family are into it and it would just cause drama.

Thanks for the advice.
    All sorted now providing one more thing arrives in the post.

The donkey?

Advertisement